• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Should Staj be Given a 5 Year Contract? ....and the Keys to Gosford.

nikko

Suspended
Hate to say I told you so!! ;- )

Billy Sharp: Sheffield United striker out for rest of season after surgery - BBC Sport

Sign him up on a 2 year deal

TC Redline

Oli is signed for next season. But then so was that bloke who was coach. Whatisname I forget now.
I'd like to think Oli has come back to the coast to settle, so hopefully he won't think of going off overseas again. I don't know, but maybe he's the kind of bloke who thrives on situations like being at the Mariners.
Hopefully he was one of the players who was leading the dressing room.

Yes, great post Mick.
Obviously things having would have been coming to a head.
But the Jets game seemed to be it.
Probably not worth much given the garbage that went down yesterday and this morning and not claiming to be a friend of Oli’s but do know him on a name basis and I actually spoke with him for a while on Sunday and about the club and whether he was with us next year. Again in this climate probably not worth much but Oli did say he was here next year and we talked about the new Tv deal with Paramount and what affect that will have on the club and whether signings or resigning would start occurring. As I mentioned in another post the whole team were down at Terrigal on Sunday drowning their sorrows so to speak but one thing that stands out to me now is that Staj wasn’t there with the team so don’t know whether to read into that or it was simply a distance thing given where he resides.

Michael

Somehow in my anger in the last 24 hours I’d forgotten how stubborn Staj was all season long about sticking to one tactic and one formation even in games we were down and could’ve come back given a slight tweak of the system but complete refusal to do so at the detriment of 3points (cough okon cough) and almost complete disaster in flirting with missing finals.
so in an attempt to sleep better tonight and have a Good Friday. f**k him, give me a tactically flexible coach who’s go to substitution isn’t 60minute RB swap.

Corsair

If it came down to choosing between Oli or Staj for next season, who would you want?

??
Now that's a thought provoking one...if Oli really was leading the team (as it looked) maybe we would have made it to finals with any coach. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking and Staj did drive things. Previously I'd probably have said Staj but as things unfold... maybe on field is more important...

Ancient Mariner

Had a good think about this in the last twenty-four hours and I think it is a blessing in disguise. While we probably won’t emulate what we did last season with a new coach I think we would have had a very poor season with Staj for the following reasons:

- He had clearly lost the dressing sheds with the senior playing group. Charlie points to it in his post and that it was quite clear during the Jets game.
- Staj had a jump on the rest of the league because of Covid upheaval and a strong preseason developed by an outstanding S&C coach. When teams caught up physically Staj did not have the tactical flexibility and the coaching experience to change things. There was much discussion on this forum about this in many games and many examples where things could have been done better. The last game was a case in point - no change after the red card in shape, tactics and substitutions. The points tally in the second half of the season was poor.
- Staj was blessed (albeit his recruitment) with incredible support staff. If Gatty is to believed (and from I understand he is correct) then Staj pulled money out of his own pocket to pay the support staff because the club wouldn’t. This is to be commended but Staj was not willing to do this next season and hence the current situation that made him walk. He would not have achieved the same level of success without these support services.

I believe the situation became untenable and Staj knew it. His best bet to keep the glow on his coaching career was to walk now so he could pick up a well paid job and continue his career. A year of failure at the Mariners would have drastically reduced his stock.

From the Mariners point of view they can keep the strong player culture, cultivated mostly by the senior players, alive. They can probably hold on to more players than they would have.

In posting this I am not laying the blame on anyone’s feet. I suspect many people contributed to the situation that arose towards the end of the season - the club, the players, agents and Staj himself. Everyone except the hard working back room staff.

I think this was what Oz Hammer was alluding to. Change was essential. I differ from Oz Hammer in thinking anything positive will come out of it, even though necessary. No change would have probably eventuated in an even less success.

I find it highly improbable that the perfect storm of our success can be replicated again next season, especially with the big changes in the cap.

I will also go out on a limb here and say that Staj won’t be successful at another A-League club unless he learns to adjust tactically on his feet during games and he improves his man management skills.
Great post Mick.
After my initial post and fit of anger and depression, I became strangely relaxed (see my posts in membership) and not too worried (see my post about Womabat's beloved 442. I was concerned that I was being somewhat flippant in the face of a crisis and could nor work out why.
Your post pointing out Staj's possible limitations as a coach crystallised it all for me.
After initially thinking what a disaster, I know feel Staj has taken us on part of the recovery journey and maybe we have seen all he could offer this Club and it is now time to move on for the next stage.
As Ozhammer pointed out the Club now has some vital decisions to make to take advantage of where we are now and that we should be grateful for Staj for what he has done and for possibly leaving at the correct time for all concerned.

Sorry if I am being sickeningly optimistic in my posts.
Like many here I am a shipwrecked Mariner survivor and somewhat immunised against bad news.
Reaction is becoming "Oh shit what will we do", closely followed by "Situation normal, things can only get better".
I now wouldn't miss any of it for quids.

midfielder

If we have signed the players said to have signed ... that does not support the posts.... Staj lost the shed...

Take var in the AU match and another couple of close calls and say the late pass against SFC and we come second...

That is not a poor coach.... even a coach allowing a player say Ollie to have his say if that rallies the team indicates to me a good coach...

We won on defense with Centre backs and strong Centre mids....

I remember one match I think against MCity when Clisby went down the left and near their line lost the ball, and City raced down the left side... we did not slide across, instead the right back raced across the field and just stopped play did not try to tackle... we held the centre of the park... with Ollie DDS & Clisby coming back we closed down the City counter... At the time as it was early in the season, I said this is a very well trained defense we are going to hard to break down.... the same night I said to Wombat that RT would make the Socceroo's ...

Where Staj lacked and maybe it was the squad was in attack....

AS for the playing group not liking him.... I can think of many coaches like that ....

All I know is we came from the wooden spoon for years to near second, produced a new Socceroo, and could have another two new Olyroo's ...

Staj's mild manner at least on camera and in the media, had him connecting with many on the Coast in a way most other coaches did not.

I have no idea whats happened.... but the club need to fix this quickly .... the imagine this is creating across the wider Football community and with locals on the Coast is we are a joke of a club and headed back to the spoon...

Old Spice

If we have signed the players said to have signed ... that does not support the posts.... Staj lost the shed...

Take var in the AU match and another couple of close calls and say the late pass against SFC and we come second...

That is not a poor coach.... even a coach allowing a player say Ollie to have his say if that rallies the team indicates to me a good coach...

We won on defense with Centre backs and strong Centre mids....

I remember one match I think against MCity when Clisby went down the left and near their line lost the ball, and City raced down the left side... we did not slide across, instead the right back raced across the field and just stopped play did not try to tackle... we held the centre of the park... with Ollie DDS & Clisby coming back we closed down the City counter... At the time as it was early in the season, I said this is a very well trained defense we are going to hard to break down.... the same night I said to Wombat that RT would make the Socceroo's ...

Where Staj lacked and maybe it was the squad was in attack....

AS for the playing group not liking him.... I can think of many coaches like that ....

All I know is we came from the wooden spoon for years to near second, produced a new Socceroo, and could have another two new Olyroo's ...

Staj's mild manner at least on camera and in the media, had him connecting with many on the Coast in a way most other coaches did not.

I have no idea whats happened.... but the club need to fix this quickly .... the imagine this is creating across the wider Football community and with locals on the Coast is we are a joke of a club and headed back to the spoon...
Agree with you 100%
This thread has devolved 10x over.
All we can go by is what was released by the club and the Stajcic crew, and from what we can tell (I know both statements are just Corpo comments), it was a mutual parting.
Comments such as "My source tells me that Olli was the real leader and he lost the dressing room" is just utter nonsense and gossip.
Just as my source telling me the complete opposite and it was entirely due to MC, and lack of financial backing is also nonsense and gossip.
Jumping to conclusions and speculating on rumours is not healthy for both Stajcic and MC; some pretty harsh things were said about both parties in this thread, and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Let's just be happy that he came over when he did, got us back to the top and move on.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred