• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Should Staj be Given a 5 Year Contract? ....and the Keys to Gosford.

Insertnamehere

Monty is capable enough imo if he takes the role and I'd be happy to see it. Hutch or Cahn I'd be happy with too.
Monty with Cahn and Simmo as assts. As someone else said monty will probs want a crack back in UK at some stage and this gives time for Cahn and Simmo to get some badges and experience.

Ozhammer

Not sure Ben would necessarily want to play understudy to Monty but he would be awesome replacement academy head if we could persuade him to come back

Michael

IMO Monty is the safest bet as I can’t see mr f**kwit wanting to pay anything to search or persuade someone interstate etc.
My biggest concern with that is, if Monty is given the job and said f**kwit doesn’t sell before next season therefore Monty never gets the financial support and inevitably encounters the career suicide we lose Monty from the club all together. And I understand the Cahn love from many and I rate him too, but montys done more imo with the current bunch of youth lads. And Monty has some unreal UK contacts, imagine the players he could bring if given the resources. His best mate is Billy Sharp. He’d hypothetically bang goals in this league.

pjennings

IMO Monty is the safest bet as I can’t see mr f**kwit wanting to pay anything to search or persuade someone interstate etc.
My biggest concern with that is, if Monty is given the job and said f**kwit doesn’t sell before next season therefore Monty never gets the financial support and inevitably encounters the career suicide we lose Monty from the club all together. And I understand the Cahn love from many and I rate him too, but montys done more imo with the current bunch of youth lads. And Monty has some unreal UK contacts, imagine the players he could bring if given the resources. His best mate is Billy Sharp. He’d hypothetically bang goals in this league.

Hate to say I told you so!! ;- )

Wombat

Not sure Ben would necessarily want to play understudy to Monty but he would be awesome replacement academy head if we could persuade him to come back

I know he would love to come back to the Mariners. He probably just shades Monty in terms of experience but they are both Rookies. It would be great to get Ben back here in some capacity and fix Okon's stupid decision.

marinermick

Had a good think about this in the last twenty-four hours and I think it is a blessing in disguise. While we probably won’t emulate what we did last season with a new coach I think we would have had a very poor season with Staj for the following reasons:

- He had clearly lost the dressing sheds with the senior playing group. Charlie points to it in his post and that it was quite clear during the Jets game.
- Staj had a jump on the rest of the league because of Covid upheaval and a strong preseason developed by an outstanding S&C coach. When teams caught up physically Staj did not have the tactical flexibility and the coaching experience to change things. There was much discussion on this forum about this in many games and many examples where things could have been done better. The last game was a case in point - no change after the red card in shape, tactics and substitutions. The points tally in the second half of the season was poor.
- Staj was blessed (albeit his recruitment) with incredible support staff. If Gatty is to believed (and from I understand he is correct) then Staj pulled money out of his own pocket to pay the support staff because the club wouldn’t. This is to be commended but Staj was not willing to do this next season and hence the current situation that made him walk. He would not have achieved the same level of success without these support services.

I believe the situation became untenable and Staj knew it. His best bet to keep the glow on his coaching career was to walk now so he could pick up a well paid job and continue his career. A year of failure at the Mariners would have drastically reduced his stock.

From the Mariners point of view they can keep the strong player culture, cultivated mostly by the senior players, alive. They can probably hold on to more players than they would have.

In posting this I am not laying the blame on anyone’s feet. I suspect many people contributed to the situation that arose towards the end of the season - the club, the players, agents and Staj himself. Everyone except the hard working back room staff.

I think this was what Oz Hammer was alluding to. Change was essential. I differ from Oz Hammer in thinking anything positive will come out of it, even though necessary. No change would have probably eventuated in an even less success.

I find it highly improbable that the perfect storm of our success can be replicated again next season, especially with the big changes in the cap.

I will also go out on a limb here and say that Staj won’t be successful at another A-League club unless he learns to adjust tactically on his feet during games and he improves his man management skills.

Last edited:

Corsair

The biggest worry for me is whether we keep Oli. He's far above the quality we deserve and i genuinely feel he did us a huge favor playing for us last season. Surely a decision based on extraordinary circumstances. If we lose him next season it will greatly damage many aspects of the club status, particularly after the loss of the coach. Losing coach and captain would be a big body blow.

marinermick

The biggest worry for me is whether we keep Oli. He's far above the quality we deserve and i genuinely feel he did us a huge favor playing for us last season. Surely a decision based on extraordinary circumstances. If we lose him next season it will greatly damage many aspects of the club status, particularly after the loss of the coach. Losing coach and captain would be a big body blow.

Let’s just say we have a better chance than last week.

Pirate Pete

Oli is signed for next season. But then so was that bloke who was coach. Whatisname I forget now.
I'd like to think Oli has come back to the coast to settle, so hopefully he won't think of going off overseas again. I don't know, but maybe he's the kind of bloke who thrives on situations like being at the Mariners.
Hopefully he was one of the players who was leading the dressing room.

Yes, great post Mick.
Obviously things having would have been coming to a head.
But the Jets game seemed to be it.

Wombat

He has another year on his contract and stated he is and was very happy to come home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred