• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Should Staj be Given a 5 Year Contract? ....and the Keys to Gosford.

yorkshireman

From that and Shaun's comment tho, the club have known this is happening for a while. That leads me to think that there MAY be some plan in place. If re-signings have happened then I think the players will have known what was coming.
Hopefully Staj's successor is already picked out and we are just dotting I's and crossing t's.

I know, I know we aren't known for being organised or proactive in these things BUT I'm an eternal optimist :p

Ancient Mariner

From that and Shaun's comment tho, the club have known this is happening for a while. That leads me to think that there MAY be some plan in place. If re-signings have happened then I think the players will have known what was coming.
Hopefully Staj's successor is already picked out and we are just dotting I's and crossing t's.

I know, I know we aren't known for being organised or proactive in these things BUT I'm an eternal optimist :p
Those were my thoughts immediately on reading the email from the Club.

Corsair

Maybe CW spending the money on the stadium lease instead of the players/coach in the hope that will secure a buyer.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Ray Gatt saying Charlesworth knew he was going and why (funding) did nothing to stop him
Just frustrating hearing all these rumours and innuendos - because goddamn, we all deserve to know the truth, but it'll never happen

Which makes me wonder when the team first heard of it, even as a rumour - brings me back to the Jets game. We'll never know.

I hope to hell there's a plan, and the plan's name isn't 'Rudan'.

Huddo

Don't think we dodged a bullet, he probably was asking for fund that would never come. GA nearly killed the club chasing the same funds, so the club probably dodged a bullet on that front. Staj took us to 3rd, and is a great coach for getting the best out of a playing group.
This year we used shock and awe to win 8 of our first 11, in the next 14 we won 4, maybe now is the time to find a coach that can maintain the rage, gonna be hard to recover from this punch though.

Rising Sun

The fact that Nahuel also wants "a new challenge and new direction" in his career as well is the strongest hint that they both already have the contracts for the said new challenge in their back pockets. This is less about funding at CCM and more about a lucrative offer at a better resourced club.

Presumably WU (or whoever) have paid compensation which is why the club is sanguine about things and we have somebody in mind who is waiting in the wings. (Hutch just capped off his coaching apprenticeship with a stint at the Ange finishing school?)

Huddo

So from someone on the inside ( don't push I'm not gunna reveal who). Alot of the playing group aren't too fussed about staj leaving. Ollie is supposedly the talisman, not staj in the changeroom. Also alot are not fans of one of the Coaching staff, won't state who.

So this could be a good move, could be bad. Just need a soft hand to guide next year.

Last edited:

Big Al

So from someone on the inside ( don't push I'm not gunna reveal who). Alot of the playing group aren't too fussed about staj leaving. Ollie is supposedly the talisman, not staj in the changeroom. Also alot are not fans of one of the Coaching staff, won't state who.

So this could be good move, could be bad. Just need a soft hand to guide next year.
I had heard Olli was a massive influence on the harmonious playing group this year (on and off the park) and related better to all players (This has nothing to do with the staj stuff but it would add weight to Olli having big pull in the dressing room and being the most important piece to the club). We missed him again Macathur

FFC Mariner

Well, whats done is done and we have to move on. This sort of thing will keep happening while Charlesworth owns us. Nothing much we can do about it.
Ken is still there for recruitment/retention and we dont actually need a coach until the players come back for pre-season.
Great opportunity for that skinflint to pocket 2 wages during the off season (he's done it before)
My absolute and complete guess is
Monty as head coach
1 or 2 senior players (or ex players) in supporting roles and the academy. Sadly a few wont touch the club because of Charlesworth (hardly surprising really).
If we can keep Urena and Tongyik and replace DDS and Janota with a half decent striker, we will go ok. Oh and we need a left back to replace Clisby apparently

Ironbark

A lot will make sense when we see what Staj does next. If he takes a role at another A-League club it shows he was likely dirty with MC/funding etc.
If he moves onto a national team role and/or womens team role or something else a bit unique then what he said about a new direction holds water. Just have to wait and see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred