• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Seeing the back of Charlesworth

Will you back MC to the end?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pirate Pete

"Mielekamp said the council's latest rejection, only a fortnight ago, of an extensive plan submitted to the council that would have included major investment into the stadium from Charlesworth was the "straw that broke the camel's back" for his involvement with the club."

Looks like the council's bluff has been called. Well done council, failing us as football fans and rate payers.
I wasn't aware of the council's rejection. The club kept that quiet didn't they?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

gosford council are a disgrace. They've admitted they do absolutely nothing with the stadium - what possible reason could they have for not letting us manage it?
$4mil....that actually makes me feel a bit better that we may find somebody happy to keep the club where it is for that price.....although if somebody wants to relocate for double that, I suspect we're still gone.

Pretty sure the Jets were after 10-12 million and it dropped to 6 in the last few months.
And surely they're a far more attractive prospect than us....but still 50% dearer

Last edited:

FFC Mariner

I'd say that MC is completely on the nose with council.
Bullying and threatening is never a good long term bargaining strategy and it's only human nature to tell him to get f**ked.
If council had caved to him we would be stuck with him forever.
I suspect a strategy is being played out here and we just need to be patient and see where we end up.

marinerbhoy

I have no idea how something like this would happen, and I highly doubt 5000 people would get involved. But I am keen to contribute financially. If $4m is the going rate, maybe the fans can unite to buy a portion of the club. We can even go full English and look to purchase/invest in our ground and build it up over time. That would piss off council.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

jog my memory - who actually owns the CoE?

I have no idea how something like this would happen, and I highly doubt 5000 people would get involved. But I am keen to contribute financially. If $4m is the going rate, maybe the fans can unite to buy a portion of the club. We can even go full English and look to purchase/invest in our ground and build it up over time. That would piss off council.
we had that discussion on here some time back, maybe a few years.

Thing is, it's probably too late now for the numbers.

One problem with the article is it said that Yet if, for example, a conservative 5,000 of the club's members are asked to buy a share in the club for, say, $500, the Mariners would generate $2.5 million a year

They forgot to specify that would be $500 per year to hit those figures - who is going to put in that sort of money? Though maybe it's not far off what some of our members are paying for their memberships with partner/family, so if they got the same number of people with tickets those minority may see value.

On a side note, just based off the ground ownership above...be interesting if new owners wanted to make the CoE the true home of the club and build a 15 000 seat stadium there (council wouldn't go for it, I'm sure).

In a perfect world the CoE could also have been the home of football on the coast, I think, and replaced Pluim.

I suspect Mv or WSW could probably pull off community ownership....but I just can't see us having that many people wanting to spend that sort of coin.

They'd have to look for as many small business sponsorships as possible too, though no idea what incentive they'd be able to offer a small independent business to, say, put in $2k.

Last edited:

Pirate Pete

Dear Members,

I'm writing today to inform you that Central Coast Mariners Chairman Mike Charlesworth has announced that he will seek a new investor to purchase the club and allow him to step away from the Mariners.
You can read the official club statement here.
The club will now begin to work through a due diligence process with interested parties with the aim of finding the most suitable investor to take the club forward for the long term.

I encourage all members to stay positive and am very optimistic for what this can potentially mean for the club, whilst daunting it is more exciting to know there is a pathway now for the club to pursue that will lead to more on field success.

I must stress that contrary to some reports, Mike has not ‘handed back’ the Mariners licence to the league, and remains invested in the club through this process to allow for a smooth handover leading into next season. Whilst this opportunity is available to him the reality is that selling the license is the priority for Mike who has invested many millions in the great club.

I'd like to take this time to thank you, our loyal Members for your support during these recent times. You are the heartbeat of this club and I am looking forward to what the next step in the Mariners journey will bring not only our Members but for our Central Coast community.

Yours in football,

FFC Mariner

I would put in $500 a year to be an owner/shareholder but doubt more than a thousand would.
Float a company/trust with shares at say $20 each, minimum $500 subscription (max 5% holding) available to anyone

That company buys shares in CCM.

For example 1,000 people at $500 is $500k. If the price is $4m, the fans trust owns 12.5% (and would demand board representation)

For ongoing contributions, maybe as an add on to your membership?

There could be company packages available but the tax/accounting issues are beyond me

The fans trust would elect it's officials etc.

Maybe have no minimum so no one is excluded. Could even do instalments

jacobsfl

Read through this during one of my breaks, and I'm torn as to whether or not this is a good thing. We just need to stay positive and supportive as a community and be hopeful.

I just hope the council can pull it's finger out of its backside and realise the NRL doesn't want to base a club there and actually give the club a hand, for once

MrCelery

Australian club that gave Bolt trial face uncertain future

By Ian Ransom
48 mins ago

1596513252416.png
a man with a football ball on a field: FILE PHOTO: Central Coast Mariners v Central Coast Select
© Reuters/DAVID GRAY FILE PHOTO: Central Coast Mariners v Central Coast Select

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Australian soccer club Central Coast Mariners, who brought in Olympic sprint great Usain Bolt for a high-profile trial in 2018, face an uncertain future with its chairman/owner saying on Tuesday he is leaving the team.
Mike Charlesworth, who helped save the Gosford-based strugglers from financial ruin in 2013, said he would sell his majority stake or hand it back to the A-League if he could not find a buyer.
"After 10 years of involvement with the Mariners, I feel the time is right for me to now step aside and to look for a new investor to take on the ownership of the Club," the Briton said in a club statement.
The Mariners, who beat Melbourne Victory 3-2 in western Sydney on Monday in their last game of the season, will finish bottom for the fourth time in five campaigns.
Mariners Chief Executive Shaun Mielekamp told Australian media he was "optimistic" a buyer could be found to keep the team on the Central Coast but conceded its future was unknown.
Charlesworth's chairmanship started in 2013 with an immediate triumph as the Mariners claimed their maiden title under Graham Arnold.
But the club quickly fell on hard times and the chairman has angered fans for running the team on a shoestring budget.
The Mariners enjoyed a brief surge of global publicity when eight-times Olympic champion Bolt came to the sleepy Central Coast in eastern New South Wales state but the Jamaican was unable to agree terms and left after a few months.
England-based Charlesworth told Australian broadcaster SBS that he had tried to bring in investment from European clubs but the COVID-19 pandemic had changed everything.
"Everyone is suffering from top to bottom but even more so the small to medium-sized clubs," he said.
"The global market has been very hard hit."
(Editing by Peter Rutherford)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami