• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 5 - Roar v CCM @ Suncorp

Wombat

Another positive - I have to say that for mine, I disagree with what seems to be the prevailing sentiment on here, about Appiah... I think he had improved significantly last season and I think he has taken another step up this season. His ball control has improved, as has his thinking. The chances that he is missing, are somewhat offset by the fact that he seems to be generating them in droves. If some of the guys around him could hit the target, he'd have been on the board for multiple assists over the last two-to-three games alone.
However, he also clearly isn't as technically capable as the guys starting ahead of him, so I think some good choices are being made in having him run on against tired defences...
As for McGing - the last couple of weeks has been an improvement again, and he improved last season as well... He's never going to set the world on fire but I gotta say, Paolo and Ivan must be doing SOMETHING right in training to be seeing these sorts of changes. Now - I just hope they don't prove me wrong next week.

Agree. Appi is a good weapon off the bench.

Wombat

We were slightly the better side.
Kennedy looked good and should hold his spot.
Rose did well. McGing was good. Golec had his best game of the season.
The 2 Dutchies were OK but Wout is well below Monty at this stage.
Hoole played like a scummer tonight. DDS and the Spanish midget did play quite well but our structure doesn't suit them.
I dodged a bullet today as my wife talked me out of a $100 on us and a $100 on Bisping.
Both very close but both losing bets!

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Asdrubal for mine is copping the heat for no real reason. People on here are reminding me of facebook and 442 posters. He's doing his job well for mine. I dont think hes a lone striker but hes going fairly well. .
I think you've answered it there - people thought he was a goalscorer and it's turning out that he's not. He's a playmaker, but we've got them a dime a dozen in our team.

midfielder

4 games one lost and three draws and we have played WSW, PG, MV, & Jest who are all talked about being in the final four... all have spent a fortune on their squads well they have spent far more than we have....

Aside from the Jest we have out played the others... with a soft penalty against the WSW, a soft free against MV.... in fact MV arguably have on paper the best squad in the league ...

Okon will teach composure in front....

IMO we have good keepers.... our front six is the equal of most .... say one decent back....

Meaning we have 8 quality picks... our bench is weak.... and we need one maybe two more backs....

I guess its how you judge this position ....

scottmac

Suspended
I think you've answered it there - people thought he was a goalscorer and it's turning out that he's not. He's a playmaker, but we've got them a dime a dozen in our team.
He is a goalscorer. But he needs someone to work beside. We are not getting the ball to him in front of goal. He's is getting it wide and deep. This is because we are not quick in transition. By the time we actually get the ball forward Asdrubal is surrounded and marked out. We need to be quicker on the ball going forward and he will score plenty. You could have the best striker in the world play there and he won't score goals unless he gets the ball in goal scoring position. Its an uneducated pair of eyes that lays the blame at Asdrubal's feet.

Ancient Mariner

We were slightly the better side.
Kennedy looked good and should hold his spot.
Rose did well. McGing was good. Golec had his best game of the season.
The 2 Dutchies were OK but Wout is well below Monty at this stage.
Hoole played like a scummer tonight. DDS and the Spanish midget did play quite well but our structure doesn't suit them.
I dodged a bullet today as my wife talked me out of a $100 on us and a $100 on Bisping.
Both very close but both losing bets!

I agree with most, but would say Tommy had another good game. He tends to fly under the radar. His tackling is awesome and he moves the ball so quickly most don't notice him.

Although McGing's defence was ok, I still think he is not quick enough to be a fullback. He still looks like a centre half out of position.

I was very impressed with Kennedy especially his speed of distribution. Deserves another start.

ballantyne

We just played two games where we didn't throw it away, we're down to 2 goals against per game and heading in the right direction, and we're making some chances for our diminutive front men to butcher.
Brisbane were terrible though, so the point on the road flatters us.
On balance, positive.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Tell you what, she was a bit muggy at Suncorp yesterday, cloudy in the morning , thought we might get a sprinkle..ANYWAY
Once again the boys whose job it is to score kept fkn overthinking shit again although Danny came close with that gift
It has to be said, we need to play two up the pointy end cause the little Spanish bull, is just not doing his job description, maybe him and kwabbi or Budgie alongside him...Golec is improving by the game....Hooley done alright , Ginga was fractionally better on occasion, Rose the elder was...yeh, BK done a good job , much better than I thought he would the Dutch twins were there doing their thing but no one was on the other end of the passes for about 25% of the time....I’m over this winning the comp one point at a time...if we got some coin in January we need another striker and a left fullback (cause I think Roux is gonna split)
And as for the Smurfs game , we may get mangled OR it will be another ground out draw

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

He is a goalscorer. But he needs someone to work beside. We are not getting the ball to him in front of goal. He's is getting it wide and deep. This is because we are not quick in transition. By the time we actually get the ball forward Asdrubal is surrounded and marked out. We need to be quicker on the ball going forward and he will score plenty. You could have the best striker in the world play there and he won't score goals unless he gets the ball in goal scoring position. Its an uneducated pair of eyes that lays the blame at Asdrubal's feet.

But he's also not putting himself into positions to receive the ball in front of goal - and when he does he doesn't expect it and mucks it up. He is able to hold the ball up but not able to split the defence by running with the ball - Hoole is about the only one who's really shown that capacity so far. Even Pain and Appiah on occasion. I'm not seeing him make the overlapping runs to create space like even McGing did on the weekend, or like Appiah or Pain does.

He also doesn't really want to take the occasional long-range shot, unlike Pain or Brama.

I agree that we need to move the ball quicker - and looking at the history of our new signings I actually expected we'd be a team to turn and switch play really, really quickly, even build rapidly from the backline.

I'd rather see him and DDS working together as a pair of attacking mids and have Hoole float up front wherever he likes, working alongside Pain.

I agree with most, but would say Tommy had another good game. He tends to fly under the radar. His tackling is awesome and he moves the ball so quickly most don't notice him.

Although McGing's defence was ok, I still think he is not quick enough to be a fullback. He still looks like a centre half out of position.

I was very impressed with Kennedy especially his speed of distribution. Deserves another start.
I'll agree with you there. McGing made some really good attacking runs too.
People are talking about balls he overhit, but lets be fair - name a player who hasn't been stuffing up their crosses. He got a few on target. A few times he made great runs but simply didn't get fed the ball.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

4 games one lost and three draws and we have played WSW, PG, MV, & Jest who are all talked about being in the final four... all have spent a fortune on their squads well they have spent far more than we have....

Aside from the Jest we have out played the others... with a soft penalty against the WSW, a soft free against MV.... in fact MV arguably have on paper the best squad in the league ...

Okon will teach composure in front....

IMO we have good keepers.... our front six is the equal of most .... say one decent back....

Meaning we have 8 quality picks... our bench is weak.... and we need one maybe two more backs....

I guess its how you judge this position ....
Great post Middy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred