• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 5 - Roar v CCM @ Suncorp

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Standouts:
Hiariej
McGing (Now there's a surprise)
Kennedy
Pain

Poor game:
Hoole (absolutely butchered every chance)
Astrubal (still waiting to see why he's called striker)

Brisbane were aweful. 2 points lost for us.

Mostly fair, though I thought Hoole was alright, he had some pretty good runs in the middle and set some stuff up. Asdrubal just seems to get in the way half the time.

And anybody who calls him a striker needs to be slapped. He isn't. AM, yes, not a striker.

I actually agree with that. Looked dangerous and composed tonight. A pity we have no one up front to take advantage of his overlapping runs.
Agreed. We have too many attacking mids and not a single striker.
And I don't think our season is going to get any less painful.

Ancient Mariner

Jake mcGing reminds me of a rugby union front row forward, without the bulk. Very slow in movement and thought.

He is not and never will be a fullback. he may be a squad centre half at the most.

Time to let him go and buy 2 fullbacks in January. Josh is starting to get old.

Last edited:

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

And of course, Fox Sports have multiple facebook posts about that offside, but not a single post about our denied penalty or Asdrubal getting decked.
But we're used to that sort of one-sided bullshit.

Ozhammer

For us to put in such an average display pretty much across the park arguably points to some common factor, like the training load or disrupted travel perhaps?

The only saving grace for me was that Roar were as bad or worse than we were but if we can’t finish off a team like that, I worry about how we will go against FC.

jpmariner

I must've been watching a different game?

We weren't great but away from home in a warm 4pm kick off up in muggy Brisbane we did well I thought.

Hoole made a few poor decisions particularly not putting Mcging clear down the wing a couple times.

We held the ball well in the opposition half, not just our own and could've won it if not for one or two worldy saves from Young.

Da Silva needs a strong start next week against Sydney to build confidence and I'd like to see Appiah squeezed in to the starting side somehow.

Maybe I'm just a little more unburdened from the last few seasons as I wasn't as invested as the first say 5-6 seasons but I'm seeing a real positive display and step forward for the club this year.

Tevor

For us to put in such an average display pretty much across the park arguably points to some common factor, like the training load or disrupted travel perhaps?

The only saving grace for me was that Roar were as bad or worse than we were but if we can’t finish off a team like that, I worry about how we will go against FC.
So far this year we seem to lift for the big games, we just didn’t click and looked slow tonight. Expect us to lift against SFC on Friday but need to be on our game.

Ancient Mariner

Being cold, cool and calculating a point brought home from Brisbane should be a fair result.
It has traditionally been our hoodoo.

nebakke

Another positive - I have to say that for mine, I disagree with what seems to be the prevailing sentiment on here, about Appiah... I think he had improved significantly last season and I think he has taken another step up this season. His ball control has improved, as has his thinking. The chances that he is missing, are somewhat offset by the fact that he seems to be generating them in droves. If some of the guys around him could hit the target, he'd have been on the board for multiple assists over the last two-to-three games alone.
However, he also clearly isn't as technically capable as the guys starting ahead of him, so I think some good choices are being made in having him run on against tired defences...
As for McGing - the last couple of weeks has been an improvement again, and he improved last season as well... He's never going to set the world on fire but I gotta say, Paolo and Ivan must be doing SOMETHING right in training to be seeing these sorts of changes. Now - I just hope they don't prove me wrong next week.

Big Al

What absolute dribble that was, from both teams.

Our passing was a shambles, slow and behind. Sometimes not even close to our players.

Tactically Brisbane were all over us and shut down our middle. When we got through Hoole and DDS had nothing.

Mcgoo was horrible. Had one or two nice balls and that’s it. Is in no way a RB.

Hoole was very Newcastle Hoole today.

DDS blew it. Should have scored and blew the second chance with two many touches. Just hit it from the top of the box.

Josh Rose is turning the ball over a lot. Really is at the end now

Appiah was MOM and he played 10mins

Was no where near a punch on Asdrubal. Was a push turned forearm at best. Asdrubal is always playing for those contacts and won’t get them.

Very ordinary game but Roar were equally bad in attack. Good to get a clean sheet and not throw away the point (although we did throw away the win) but we tried.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

So far this year we seem to lift for the big games, we just didn’t click and looked slow tonight. Expect us to lift against SFC on Friday but need to be on our game.
I remember a few seasons ago (was it the last season with Arnold?) when we always seemed to play JUST worse than our opposition. No matter if we played the league leaders or cellar dwellars, more often than not we were JUST worse than them. Your comment just reminded me of that.

scottmac

Suspended
Asdrubal for mine is copping the heat for no real reason. People on here are reminding me of facebook and 442 posters. He's doing his job well for mine. I dont think hes a lone striker but hes going fairly well. If Appiahs pass to him is not just a little behind him he gets a tap in and we win.
DeSilva had the chance of the match and should have buried it. If he does we win.
McGing got taken out in the box. If Gosford was in Sydney the VAR rules penalty and we win.

true believer

harper crying about macaroni's offside was pure stooge with 145 replays
pain is poleaxed in the 48 and not even a second look . pure stooge

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

harper crying about macaroni's offside was pure stooge with 145 replays
pain is poleaxed in the 48 and not even a second look . pure stooge
What about McGing in the box? Arms all over him, shoved from behind, headbutted in the back of the head for good measure.
At least that gone one replay.....though on facebook they just keep posting about that offside.
Which you really can't determine from the stills anyway

true believer

What about McGing in the box? Arms all over him, shoved from behind, headbutted in the back of the head for good measure.
At least that gone one replay.....though on facebook they just keep posting about that offside.
Which you really can't determine from the stills anyway
the pain one stood out because it was early in the 2nd half and i was still trothing at the mouth from harpers whining . by then i knew we wouldn't get a penalty if they picked up the ball and ran with it

Wombat

Jake mcGing reminds me of a rugby union front row forward, without the bulk. Very slow in movement and thought.

He is not and never will be a fullback. he may be a squad centre half at the most.

Time to let him go and buy 2 fullbacks in January. Josh is starting to get old.

McGing did the job better than Roux normally does. In the 1st half he played a shit back pass (ala Okon ball) when he should have gone forward. The difference is he charged back in to try and salvage his mistake.

Definitely the only game I've ever seen him play in the back 4 when ive been impressed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred