• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 4 - Victory away

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I can’t believe what just saw on foxtel before the Matildas game just now ! The fox football crew almost stuck up for us , I th8nk the quote was “ no one was gonna beat Victory that night” ...that’s almost sticking up ....innit

Forum Phoenix

I can’t believe what just saw on foxtel before the Matildas game just now ! The fox football crew almost stuck up for us , I th8nk the quote was “ no one was gonna beat Victory that night” ...that’s almost sticking up ....innit
Not if you gift them goals, that’s for sure.

Timmah

Not if you gift them goals, that’s for sure.
We did gift them a couple of goals - but yes, first half in particular, Victory were very very good on Sunday night. That we kept them to one goal late in junk time in the second half is impressive IMO, it's just a pity we were defensively absent in the first half.

Offsider

We did gift them a couple of goals - but yes, first half in particular, Victory were very very good on Sunday night. That we kept them to one goal late in junk time in the second half is impressive IMO, it's just a pity we were defensively absent in the first half.

If you could bear with me for a serious moment..........

Victory are notoriously slow starters and watching the game again (twice) to try and see or make sense of the comments ....... we only matched them for the first half hour that mm said we were in the game. No we weren’t, even then they dispatched our every move effectively.

We kept them to one goal in junk time ???? ......... they had backed off the pressure and took advantage of another woeful defensive effort, which, to be fair, the game was over.

There is nothing positive to be had from that game other than it was serious game time that we needed for the subs .............

Golec is not the player he was pre injury ......... and may have taken a knock on it to be fair. If we have so many players in the squad covering positions that mm says he has .......... why are so many playing out of position ???

I hope Castro is back for our next game ......... there is a chance he will be rusty and interupt their flow. :popcorn:

Timmah

If you could bear with me for a serious moment..........

Victory are notoriously slow starters and watching the game again (twice) to try and see or make sense of the comments ....... we only matched them for the first half hour that mm said we were in the game. No we weren’t, even then they dispatched our every move effectively.

We kept them to one goal in junk time ???? ......... they had backed off the pressure and took advantage of another woeful defensive effort, which, to be fair, the game was over.

There is nothing positive to be had from that game other than it was serious game time that we needed for the subs .............

Golec is not the player he was pre injury ......... and may have taken a knock on it to be fair. If we have so many players in the squad covering positions that mm says he has .......... why are so many playing out of position ???

I hope Castro is back for our next game ......... there is a chance he will be rusty and interupt their flow. :popcorn:
Nobody, self included, is hiding away from the fact we played absolutely dreadful football - particularly in the first half - in defence we were routinely ripped to shreds, especially on the counter. No doubting that whatsoever.

If you can't see that we improved on the first half dross after halftime, but specifically from 60' onwards after our double sub, I don't know what to tell you. Even if it was far too late and coming from a low base, we did look better than we had.

And yes - in the second half they didn't score at all until very late, when the game was over. That was the point of my comment, that we managed to stem the flow.

My point is simple - as bad as we were, we can't discount the fact that Victory were playing very very good football on Sunday - they clicked.

None of that is to take away from the fact we were very bad on Sunday - doesn't mean we can't mention how good our opponents were.

P.S. agree on Golec, he was slow and cumbersome and prone to stupid errors on Sunday

Offsider

Nobody, self included, is hiding away from the fact we played absolutely dreadful football - particularly in the first half - in defence we were routinely ripped to shreds, especially on the counter. No doubting that whatsoever.

If you can't see that we improved on the first half dross after halftime, but specifically from 60' onwards after our double sub, I don't know what to tell you. Even if it was far too late and coming from a low base, we did look better than we had.

And yes - in the second half they didn't score at all until very late, when the game was over. That was the point of my comment, that we managed to stem the flow.

My point is simple - as bad as we were, we can't discount the fact that Victory were playing very very good football on Sunday - they clicked.

None of that is to take away from the fact we were very bad on Sunday - doesn't mean we can't mention how good our opponents were.

P.S. agree on Golec, he was slow and cumbersome and prone to stupid errors on Sunday

Yes to all ......... I hear you ........ but the point I tried to make badly ...... was that our looking better co-incided with their going into cruise control.

marinermick

Victory dropped their intensity a fair bit in the second half as teams often do when they are up by so much. They also blooded some new and young players that curtailed their attacking movement.

Our second half performance was more a reflection on them rather than us.

Timmah

Yes to all ......... I hear you ........ but the point I tried to make badly ...... was that our looking better co-incided with their going into cruise control.
Happy to agree with that, but it doesn't change that we improved IMO. All good

Wombat

You should be happy to agree because for once Offy was correct. We were gash. We defended like 10 years olds.

Offsider

You should be happy to agree because for once Offy was correct. We were gash. We defended like 10 years olds.

High praise indeed:pirashoot::pirashoot::overheadl::overheadl::vhappy::vhappy:

But to my mind we were “ankles”.........:grouphug: .......... that’s four feet lower than gash :cheers:.

Offsider

Any reading of my posts would have told you I hold the same view...

Yes ....... you do hold the same view ........ you agree that we defended badly ..........like 10yr olds.
But ......... you also said that we did improve:yellowcard: ........... which we perhaps looked to improve in attack because they weren’t pressing .......... but because you left the determination of “improve” ......... open, it could also have been taken that you thought we improved in defense.:redcard:

Which is hard to imagine when one of their bench subs scored so easily.

You’re welcome :cheers:.

Timmah

Yes ....... you do hold the same view ........ you agree that we defended badly ..........like 10yr olds.
But ......... you also said that we did improve:yellowcard: ........... which we perhaps looked to improve in attack because they weren’t pressing .......... but because you left the determination of “improve” ......... open, it could also have been taken that you thought we improved in defense.:redcard:

Which is hard to imagine when one of their bench subs scored so easily.

You’re welcome :cheers:.
If you take such a black-and-white, no grey areas view of every debate you partake in, sure.

But I didn't leave it open, I was fairly clear, and you know that.

As for "one of their bench subs" that's a quality attempt to minimise the impact and star quality of a player who has 64 caps for Sweden along with 139 appearances for PSV!

Offsider

If you take such a black-and-white, no grey areas view of every debate you partake in, sure.

But I didn't leave it open, I was fairly clear, and you know that.

As for "one of their bench subs" that's a quality attempt to minimise the impact and star quality of a player who has 64 caps for Sweden along with 139 appearances for PSV!

:cheers:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami