• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 3 - PINK Round v Adelaide

Big Al

Can anyone who was at home watching confirm on the so called hand ball if hit the post then the defenders chest and not the arm?

First angle at the ground showed it hitting a hand but another shows that may have been an illusion. Second made it look like it hit Simons arm

Last edited:

Big Al

Mulvey had an average day today.

If you are going to pull blokes during the game for not being switched on then the keeper has to be hooked as well. The excuse that the second keeper is worse is not good enough. None of them should be on the team.

We looked better with ONeill as the lone DM and Hoole did fill the space that was really lacking in the first.

The formation changed a few times during the game which was good but it was clear he was searching for combinations and effort. He doesn’t really know his best team or they haven’t played together yet.

Why have Ross if we exclusively go high to Simon. It’s one dimensional and predictable. For all Simon’s effort he lacks the skill. Simon should have been subbed and let us run with Big Mac.

I am sorry but I think Mulvey has fallen in love with Simon’s effort not his results.

McGlinchy is way to old and slow. Should be a squad filler.

Our closing team is closer to our best with Murray instead of Millar and Ross on for Simon

As for God WTF. Please tell me we aren’t losing him but him and ONeill don’t seem to work together but i felt it’s more as they needed a 3rd midfielder not they don’t go together they were just over run.

I’d like to see a 433.
Sauce bottle in goal
Rowles Cisse Golec Clisby
Tom Aiden Hoole
Oar McCormack Pain

Last edited:

Spacks

if your going 4-3-3 go McCormack in the middle and Simon and Murry on either sides.One to drop deep to get the ball, the other two to sit on the shoulders of the center backs.

Big Al

if your going 4-3-3 go McCormack in the middle and Simon and Murry on either sides.One to drop deep to get the ball, the other two to sit on the shoulders of the center backs.
Yeah meant to have him in the middle I’ll fix but no Simon. Thanks

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Can anyone who was at home watching confirm on the so called hand ball if hit the post then the defenders chest and not the arm?

First angle at the ground showed it hitting a hand but another shows that may have been an illusion. Second made it look like it hit Simons arm

It hit the left arm immediately after Simon headed it. THEN it hit the post (maybe the chest). definitely hit the arm, definitely should be a PK

Wombat

We were just dreadful today. Completely flat and soft. So slow.

Kennedy 2. I like the bloke but WTF. He is a reserve grade keeper and we all new this would happen but what do we do now coz our 2nd reserve keeper is worse than our first keeper. Maybe blood the S.A keeper coz he looks the goods at training.
Rowles 4. Looked like a complete novice tonight and left his winger in acres of space far too often....I know it's a coaching curse on the modern game but please try and be in the same postcode. His one covering tackle to save Kennedys blushes was superb.
I think he would make a good old school sweeper back in the day.
Cisse 4. Ponderous and sloppy. His heading was dreadful. Tighten it up son!
Golec 6. Our best defender tonight.
Clisby 6. Tried hard.
Tom 4.5. Zero penetration or hunger. We need a lot more from our senior players.
O'Neill 5. Had a dig but was poor tonight.
Wee mac 3. Hopeless.
Oar 3. Terrible.
Simon 4. Tried hard as always but did not look starting 11 tonight....but who did?
McCormack. 3. Invisible.

subs of Hoole and Pain gave us some spark, in fact Hoole, while taking the wrong option a few times...was our most creative player.

On what I saw tonight. wee mac and oar to the bench.

Any news on Aspro and Gameio?

Wombat

I liked what I saw of Millar.

Pretty p'sed off at the rest of that siht though.
I know we need gelling time but that felt like the last 4 seasons. Did not enjoy it.

I think McDonald and Murray are both superior to Millar. Having said that Murray didn't look good when he came on last week either.

Wombat

Or was it a better quality attack? Remember taggart was useless round 1 and admittedly we were better against city but they didn’t have Goodwin. First goal was an unfortunate deflection too.

As for your bolt question, I don’t think he was relevant. Probably hasn’t been for 2 weeks. Adelaide just won the FFA cup and on a high from that, IMO that was a larger factor.

First goal was down to Cisse but Kennedy could have claimed it.

Wombat

Just got home and was not surprised by the result but was disappointed in our 1st half display.
Adelaide pressed high and hard and we only had to hold them for the 1st 20 min and we would have been ok, but it looked as if someone spiked the drinks with valium.
My impressions and observations from viewing live. I am not going to bother watching the replay on tv.
Adelaide were too good, too fast and too well drilled.
We showed them respect and none of the mongrel of the first two games.
There was no communication between the centre backs and the keeper.
Rowles is still a centre back playing as a full back and his lack of pace was shown up today. We desperately need a proper right back. This was pointed out many times here pre season.
Golec still has pace after his injury.
All I can say about Tommy H is that he must be carrying an injury or has lost confidence. After watching him for three games, he is not the player we saw last year.
O'Neill is talented bit still raw.
Tommy Oar is so rusty some one needs to do a lot of chipping before applying a coat of Killrust and then think about some undercoat.
Wee Mac tried hard but is a few years older and a few yards slower than when we saw him last.

The strikers? Watch out here comes the heresy.
We are not yet good enough to carry McCormick. He simply does not do enough. In a good team he would be deadly but in our side he does not work hard enough. As for Mulvey saying he will provide more goals than he scores, I am yet to see any evidence to support this. He is a striker and a poacher, he can probably provide the odd ball for someone running onto goal, but he is not a creative #10. Hopefully I will be made to eat my words, but I doubt it.
Matty is all heart, but is probably best used as Arnie used him last year. A big call to play him off the bench but it is either that or play someone else with him up front. He and Ross are not the answer.

Here is something truly frightening, I thought Hoole looked good when he came on. He was the only one who was prepared to go forward, take on the opposition and try something. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't but FFS he had a go.

Kennedy. WTF. As the free kick was being lined up I said. "Over the wall top right" Kennedy was more than 3/4s across his goal on the other side. And even when he amazingly got to the ball itvwas the most limp waisted effort I have seen. Out.

Another step on the learning curve. Definite changes next week.

Did anyone else notice Mulvey was out on the field after half time at least 5 mins before anyone else. I suspect he left the dressing room to Monty and Matty and left early to avoid the sight of blood.

Agree re Hoole. Sadly looks like our only option of a number 10.

Can we get Dickhead DeSilva back!!

Wombat

Two of the goals are absolutely on Kennedy and there’s perhaps a case to be made on the first ball in for the goal as well.

I tried to forgive BK after that horrendous scum game. But I’m done. He just doesn’t have it, and I never want to see Ben in a Mariners Jersey again. Just develop Pearce he can’t get worse than Kennedy’s performance today.

Our first half was poor but Adelaide are good. For mine the best team in the HAL at present. But we have some big issues to fix.

General play will be improved by fitness and greater understanding I think, and Oar, mc cormac and O’Neil will improve when fitter. But our movement of the ball is far too slow. 2 or 3 passes to do what should be done in 1.

Our link play is not good enough and when you have no true width / fast wingers starting like today, we had very little penetration. Only Oar looked to carry the ball forwatd and run at players in the first 60. That’s just not enough,

We looked much better for having Hoole and Pain on for mine as both take players on and draw men and create space and opportunity.

As to our system.., at present Ross offers very little to the side in both link play or defense and if he’s not getting on the ball...then there’ll be no goals either, I think he’s easy to close out of a game at present.

All that said I thought BK is what truly killed us and I was impressed that despite 3 down we really did play to the last whistle. Chalk and cheese with recent years.

Oh and the ref and lack of var pen... farcical.

Oh you didn't see the FFA cup came against Adelaide then FP???
He IS worse than Kennedy!
However the kid we signed from S.A looks the goods but can he command the box or will he be a Tom Glover?

Forum Phoenix

Oh you didn't see the FFA cup came against Adelaide then FP???
He IS worse than Kennedy!
However the kid we signed from S.A looks the goods but can he command the box or will he be a Tom Glover?
No I was away.

Oh dear.

SA kid in then please. Or buy a keeper.

Kennedy is not professional standard.

Wombat

I knew this would bite us but I didn't expect it to be in round 3.
So far the blame for our weird goalkeeping roster has been but on..
1. Pikey
2. Nash
3. Mulvey

true believer

Kennedy 2. I like the bloke but WTF. He is a reserve grade keeper and we all new this would happen but what do we do now coz our 2nd reserve keeper is worse than our first keeper. Maybe blood the S.A keeper coz he looks the goods at training.
Rowles 4. Looked like a complete novice tonight and left his winger in acres of space far too often....I know it's a coaching curse on the modern game but please try and be in the same postcode. His one covering tackle to save Kennedys blushes was superb.
Clisby 6. Tried hard.
Tom 4.5. Zero penetration or hunger. We need a lot more from our senior players.
Wee mac 3. Hopeless.
Oar 3. Terrible.
Simon 4. Tried hard as always but did not look starting 11 tonight....but who did?
McCormack. 3. Invisible.

subs of Hoole and Pain gave us some spark, in fact Hoole, while taking the wrong option a few times...was our most creative player.

pretty well as i saw it , expect
tommy oar got better as the game went on .i'd start him again
piss ant town did us a favour .if we learn from it .

pjennings

Clisby 6. Tried hard.
Wee mac 3. Hopeless.
Oar 3. Terrible.
McCormack. 3. Invisible.

We were poor - especially BK who was hoping the ground would swallow him up. He has to take the major (but not only blame) for the second goal and all the blame.for the third. I'm ready to try Gauci - not Pearce!! The first goal was going wide and Kye who struggled tonight turned it in for an own goal.

My concerns are why was Kye left on his own when being double and triple teamed at the start of the game. Goodwin and Galloway were double-teaming him and Isaías was joining in. It wasn't until we were 2 - 0 down that Wee-Mac decided to give him a hand. That's on Kye for not calling back to help and Wee-Mac for not doing it in the first place. However I would think that was an obvious play for Adelaide and we should have been ready for that. That's on Mike.

Scotty

Yes it was a ground hog day back to last season. I never expected it to be that bad again, but it was.
To put a bit of positivity on it, if we had Aspro and Gamerio fit and playing yesterday, I feel it wouldn't have been as bad.

It's clear we need to use McCormack more effectively. Why sign him if we aren't going to use him. We would have been better putting that money in on a marque keeper. He was a passenger yesterday.

It will be interesting to see how we play next week. Something has to give during the week.

Big Al

The first goal there are 6 Mariners defenders and a statue vs 3 AU attackers. One who was wide making the cross but like last year one clever run across the defence and a good cross is all that was needed

Ancient Mariner

Only four players starting yesterday were from last years team and one of those was the keeper. Of those Rowles did not play a lot of games last year and Tommy H. was out a lot at the end.

It is only the third game in with what is an almost totally new squad. I expect it will take half a season to work out the best starting 11, some understanding and who were dud signings. With such a cleanup there are bound to be some, whether injury crocks, too old or just too useless. I am worried some of our signing gambles may not come off. I guess it is to be expected with so many new signings in such a short time.

Realistically, it appears that this rebuild is going to take time. I can only hope that some of the youngsters are going to develop because I suspect we are going to need them before the end of the season. January could be interesting.

It is far too early too start crying doom and gloom, but this season is not going to be any quick fix miracle turn around. At best a slow solid foundation build.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred