• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 3 - PINK Round v Adelaide

Hammo

Back to the standard Sunday 5pm slot!
Adelaide will be a tough proposition, also coming off the back of consecutive 1-1 draws against Sydney and Newcastle. They have looked well up for it in their opening games!
We will need to go up a gear to be a chance of keeping the points at home! But I can see the improvement and I reckon we’re on for 3pts this week! Cmon!!

Big Al

Need to sort out the link to the attack. Few times we got the ball out of our own box and there was no kne ahead to give it to.

McGlinchy is way to slow for counter attack football

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Need to sort out the link to the attack. Few times we got the ball out of our own box and there was no kne ahead to give it to.

McGlinchy is way to slow for counter attack football
way too slow, he is now, so what do we do, swap him for Oneill on a more permanent basis and start Oar with Connor as his backup...hmm, that might work actually...HAHAHA look at me getting all footbally

Michael

Not expecting many changes for Adelaide.
Backline will stay as is, Kye was immense for the entire 90 unlike the brissy game where he grew into it.
O’Neil and Tommy H were extremely solid and O’Neil should hopefully get the 90mins done this week.
The only change I’d perhaps make is dropping wee Mac, he was non existent unfortunately so perhaps put Oar back in. Connor reeeeeeeaaaaaally needs to be more active and stay in the game. He’s impacted both games to his credit, we need more from him.
Gameiro trained last week from what I heard so I’d like to see him make the bench for Melling.

But in all honesty, it’s just going forward that needs abit of a tweak and continue in improving our possession. We’re getting Adelaide at a good time.

Ancient Mariner

Wee Mac was solid and worked his butt off. He keeps his spot. Watch the replay and the amount of work he had to do on the right. You may notice that most of Rowles work was done deep in the final third leaving a massive amount of sideline to be covered.

Replace a DM (Melling) with a striker (Gamiero) after his first full training session in yonks?

Que?

Last edited:

Wombat

way too slow, he is now, so what do we do, swap him for Oneill on a more permanent basis and start Oar with Connor as his backup...hmm, that might work actually...HAHAHA look at me getting all footbally

Just no Recky.

scottmac

Suspended
For me the problem we need to sort is having our mids move to space, pass then move again. That includes Kye and Clisby. The midfield has been covered well by both Roar and City and it seems that teams are going to kill our attack by making us go to Simon first time. Simon will need to start having his touches go to players. It's no good him winning all his challenges only to have the ball go to the opposition.
I think Adelaide will be much more open to the counter than the last 2 games. We need to be quick in attack and transitions to win this game.

I'd much rather us play 4132 this game with Tom behind the strikers or sacrifice Tom for WeeMac. Hoole/Pain on the right Oar on the left.

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

Against City Wee Mac got forward and along with Ross the odd Simon head down was actually won but the majority still went astray. I agree we need better options in transition than the high ball to Simon. I would like to see more diagonal releases to our wingers from the DMs and a lot more attacks down the sidelines, with the Simon knock down used more as a surprise.
A lot of our problems stem from having Kye Rowles playing as a fullback. He is massive in defence but is not an attacker, more a centre back filling the role.
Now whether this is because he is following instructions or still coming to terms with the position I do not know, but it is a limit on our attacking options.
I am yet to be convinced with the pairing of Ross and Simon up front. Maybe it just needs time but I would like to see some more creativity there.
I am not sure that our defence is strong enough yet to play 4132 (or in deed, whisper 442). It probably would be if we could retain a decent share of possession.
Early days yet, so probably changing things too much would upset the building of understandings that are necessary to retain said possession.
Looking forward to more progress on Sunday.

scottmac

Suspended
Yes more diagonals or switching the play. A number of times against city the switch was on only for us to hold the ball and pass short and backwards

Michael

So ofcourse Goodwin finds form 5 days before playing us.
They’ll be extremely confident after lastnight. Praying for a cup hangover now.

Ozhammer

My big concern for this game is how Golec has pulled up, as he looked very proppy after the $ity game. Monty thought it was a groin issue and they don’t generally fix themselves quickly.

If Golec is unavailable, Kye surely has to move to left CB, meaning we start McGing at RB. Not the worst thing we might have to do but it will take some adjusting to. Who knows, McGing might just give us a bit more going forward?

Antlion

My big concern for this game is how Golec has pulled up, as he looked very proppy after the $ity game. Monty thought it was a groin issue and they don’t generally fix themselves quickly.

If Golec is unavailable, Kye surely has to move to left CB, meaning we start McGing at RB. Not the worst thing we might have to do but it will take some adjusting to. Who knows, McGing might just give us a bit more going forward?
This would probably be ok, provided McGing keeps his defending up

Antlion

Pretty happy with the growth (and ongoing growth I hope) in defence.

What I'd like to see this game is work having gone into combinations with the mids and forwards

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami