• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 24 vs Perth

Antlion

I did wonder if the preference to play Simon over Pain came down to A) giving the Captain his shot, and/or B) Pain has signed elsewhere and they're holding off with an announcement until the end of season. This might make sense as Staj would be testing out Simon in a game day situation knowing he is here next year and Pain is not. Purely hypothetical but it's what passed through my head at the time.

FFC Mariner

Mallon deservedly hooked again. Graham seems to have been cut and he won't be far away from the same fate.
Phelan the DoF genius.

marinermick

Mallon deservedly hooked again. Graham seems to have been cut and he won't be far away from the same fate.
Phelan the DoF genius.

I think we can all summaise that these were desperation signings because we ran out of options.

We targeted a number of players that had no desire to come here and probably using us a leverage tool for their intended club.

Sadly, I think this may be our future fate unless we sign a highly credible manager. Knowing that we will have to pay overs for players, every agent will be dangling players our way to drive their client's worth higher.

Big Al

I do not have a problem with Staj as coach, no one would be able to turn the squad he has available enough to beat the leaders. I have however seen a marked improvement in structure and defence.
I agree Staj definitely had us opening the middle of the park alot better it’s just no movement or individual skill after that. Bit to slow.

Defence looks better but still individual errors like the Clisby goal conceded. We had something like 8 players in the box and Clisby got turned very very easily and gave a clear path to shoot. More work to do but certainly looked better structured. Just useless cattle

Wombat

I agree Staj definitely had us opening the middle of the park alot better it’s just no movement or individual skill after that. Bit to slow.

Defence looks better but still individual errors like the Clisby goal conceded. We had something like 8 players in the box and Clisby got turned very very easily and gave a clear path to shoot. More work to do but certainly looked better structured. Just useless cattle

And a woeful keeper that makes any shot on target a 50/50 chance.

FFC Mariner

Maybe I missed it but why is Staj "better" than Mulvery?

Same players picked - Judas, Hoole and Simon getting a run - watched Mallon and still played him over Pain.
Played Murray out of position then had to hook him because he wanted to keep Simon on - then after Murray was hooked, had to sub Simon and we had no striker on the pitch
Going 4231 is a no brainer but any of us here would have gone to a flat back 4.
Simon has a back injury and no pace so our tactic was to play through balls?
Simon showed his lack of respect for him (and all of us) by giving the armband to Judas

I look forward to being corrected

Ancient Mariner

I will give you one reason why he is better than Mulvey.

He has the team playing a fairly and interestingly effective 4 1 4 1 structure in defence, rather than Mulvey's "panic boys, all hands to the pumps".

FFC Mariner

He has the team playing a fairly and interestingly effective 4 1 4 1 structure in defence, rather than Mulvey's "panic boys, all hands to the pumps".
Scored 3, conceded 6 in his reign. Better but not helpful

Ancient Mariner

Second way he is superior.

Apart from the Simon over Murray stuff up he is putting the best available 11 on the park.

I suspect that Simon probably as captain carries a lot of weight and demanded the start, and maybe it is common knowledge in the dressing room that Paine has already signed elsewhere.

I would be more concerned with Millar's relapse after finding form with Staj's appointment. Has his plan not to honour whatever he signed with the Scum been scuppered?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

There is that.

But the attack is, IMO, worse.

I'd love to know what's happening around that and why that is.

FFC Mariner

I have it on pretty good authority that Millar trying to get out of his scum deal is pure rubbish and completely made up

Forum Phoenix

I have it on pretty good authority that Millar trying to get out of his scum deal is pure rubbish and completely made up

The way Millar played last night I’m happy to see him go.

Can’t defrnd and his passing game is poor. Can run at a man and cross. He’s not s complete player imo.

Forum Phoenix

Staj is better than Mulvey is too early to say i guess - except that his win ratio is as high with a fraction as many games. But surely you can see we’re better organised?

We’re going to cop goals consistently until we have a far better keeper, an experienced CB to accompany our youngster. A consistent LB and a proper RB.

As to attack... we’re very weak imo. We look out classed and ineffective but not entirely clueless anymore. Mulvey had the full triecta.

Not much any coach can do with our current attacking team imo. Just not strong enough. Only quality straying 11 attacker in our side is Pain.

Murray, Mallon, Matty... would not be in the starting 11 for any other side imo.

Last edited:

Wombat

Staj is better than Mulvey is too early to say i guess - except that his win ratio is as high with a fraction as many games. But surely you can see we’re better organised?

We’re going to cop goals consistently until we have a far better keeper, an experienced CB to accompany our youngster. A consistent LB and a proper RB.

As to attack... we’re very weak imo. We look out classed and ineffective but not entirely clueless anymore. Mulvey had the full triecta.

Not much any coach can do with our current attackin team imo. Not strong enough. Only quality straying 11 attacker in our side is Pain.

Murray, Mallon, Matty... would not be in the starting 11 for any other side imo.

Mallon was excellent before but shithouse against Perth.

Forum Phoenix

Mallon was excellent before but shithouse against Perth.

I agree. He’s had some good games. But still young and inconsistent so I still don’t think he’d get a start for any other HAL side. But would be a strong developing young player coming off the bench.

Much prefer him toHoole and Weemac of course.

pjennings

Not much any coach can do with our current attacking team imo. Just not strong enough. Only quality straying 11 attacker in our side is Pain.

TBH I think Murray has shown signs of being very effective with limited service when played in the correct position. Most of the time he has played as RW (in spite of what the stats say on transfermarket) when he has played in tandem with Matty. I think he will shine with a proper 10 as a central striker as he did at Apia-Leichhardt. He also wins an incredible amount of aerial duals against larger CBs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred