• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 19 - CCM v WSW at Gosford

mick

It looks as though we have simply given up. The amount of lost balls wayward passes and poor crossing is bordering on comical. And Hoole so so frustrating to watch last night.

Holy

Where is the heart? Where is the passion? Where is the desperation to give everything? Most of all though, where is the Mariners’ spirit? These are indeed dark times people and there is no real light at the end of the tunnel unless everyone within the club decides to show some collective ownership of the issues and tries to genuinely do something about it. If things do not seriously change, I fear that the club’s declining fortunes will continue to gather speed downhill past the point of no return, what a sad stat of affairs for a once proud football brand.
I think you have hit the nail on the head, Oz. In the last 2 games, you just don't see the desperation to give everything. This is the most disheartening thing of all.

I don't mind being on the losing end (i'd prefer not to be), but go down swinging. We just don't see enough swinging.

Insertnamehere

Just go back to a 451, IMO. This 433 experiment hasn't worked because you're playing 2 midfielders as forwards. 1-hoole loses the ball too often and the other DDS loses influence on the game.

greenlig

Not adding anything new to the discussion - have been happy to give Okon space to work, but now it's getting hard to justify.

shipwreck

Been saying it for a while now and it's been covered up by the fact he has many mates in the media and is well respected because of his playing career, I think Okon is average.

We desperately need the mariners pride of old, bring back Hutch.

localpom

Been saying it for a while now and it's been covered up by the fact he has many mates in the media and is well respected because of his playing career, I think Okon is average.

We desperately need the mariners pride of old, bring back Hutch.
I think in a team that is well funded and has the quality, Paulo would go well. For us though, we are over complicating things with the cattle we have. The players don't seem to know what to do when the have to make a decision when it matters. We are good at keeping possession but we were good at that when Mossy was here.
Look at what the Jets are doing without much more. That comes down to good management. Okon's strength isn't man management, firing players up, been hard to beat. Unless we somehow manage to recruit a higher level of player next season we can expect more of the same.
The good news is that i think we would just need a couple to make us a good side that will be in finals football. Obviously a striker, and a winger that can create chances. And from somewhere, more leadership on the pitch.

LFCMariners

Pro's:

* Skapetis immediately showed why he's a great acquisition for the side and should be starting every week
* Won the second half
* I made my debut as capo

Con's:

* Yet again managed to be worse than poor opposition at home
* The team played indifferently and it carried over into the feel in the stands. Evidently quite a few people left with 20 to go. Will they return?
* Things got so bad that I took up the role as capo, and Backpack Boy's antics were the most enjoyable part of the second half.

I can't remember the last time there was a game with so little energy- no enthusiasm from the team on the park from kickoff, no energy from the crowd either. It was like all the spirit and energy that you'd expect to come with a crucial home game against the Wanderers got sucked out of the place. I went into this one expecting a 1-1 draw and were it not for the deflection I'd have been right. The whole side lacked direction or purpose and they're still guilty of over-thinking their scoring opportunities. There's a hardcore of 6k at our club but right now they're on the threshold of being lost until further notice. Just before the game I got a text from a mate inviting me to come round and sink some brews out by the fire pit- I told him I'd come by after the game but were it not for Peter giving us a chance with his first touch, I would've taken an early mark to go and join my mate. I'll probably be there in a couple of weeks against the Nix but I may leave early for the second time this season...

This club hasn't recovered from the loss of Arnie. There's no leadership out on the field and (as I mentioned last week) no real identity or sense of purpose to this side. What we're seeing right now on the field is what the experts expected to see from CCM from day 1 of the A League. It's a real shame that after doing such an outstanding job of proving the critics wrong, only now is this club undoing all the hard work of seasons past...

Gratis

Where is the heart? Where is the passion? Where is the desperation to give everything? Most of all though, where is the Mariners’ spirit? These are indeed dark times people and there is no real light at the end of the tunnel unless everyone within the club decides to show some collective ownership of the issues and tries to genuinely do something about it. If things do not seriously change, I fear that the club’s declining fortunes will continue to gather speed downhill past the point of no return, what a sad state of affairs for a once proud football brand.
Have to agree

shipwreck

It doesn't feel like the mariners of old, I keep harping on about it but those days just seem so far ago now.

Too many coaches, too many ceos too many owners and it breaks my heart, like has been said, that after all those years as the overachieving underdog, we're nothing more than the also rans filling up the numbers.

Big Al

The first half had more of the same from last week. Pushing passes into trouble. WSW were all over us and we still tried. We were getting pushed off everything. Totally out musculed.

WSW were quite aggressive and knew exactly what we were going to do and cut it all off.

The lack of speed meant we had no threat out wide and WSW condensed the field to force turnovers.

2nd half was alot better fight but lacked that real here we come feel. The WSW were holding on for dear life but never looked like breaking because every time we threatened we lost the ball. Hoole turns back into trouble instead of using the width and Trent just dribbled it straight to them.

Paul was his quite self again. He is resigned to the fact he has a weak attack in my mind.
He also was tactically poor. Lerente was pushed up so high because we had no winger to get in behind (Appiah against Zullo at SFC). Then when brings on Trent it’s on the left where Risdon has plenty of speed. Behind Lerente was Thwaite who is old and slow. Trent eventually found him self on that side and had two good runs that he blew. Paul should of started him on the RW to counter Lerente like he did against SFC. I know Trent is shit but so was Appiah and Trent can put a nice cross in.

Skapetis and TBT must start over Wales and Powell. Not that anybody will be watching

LFCMariners

I'm not one to support a "jobs for the boys" culture, but it'd be great to get some of the old heads back on board to remind the players of the club they represent and the culture that built it. Guys like Hutch, D-Mac, Gumps even- what else are they doing these days?

To think days like this are already a decade ago...
SwHqLUol.png

Last edited:

Big Al

As we’ve said for a while there is no Monty or Hutch. An out and out Mariner who is a real leader. Who gets cranky at the boys for playing shit who when says come on lets get them every one follows.

These type of players are not highly regarded in today’s world of fancy feet over heart and soul. Wout or Baro are not this type.

localpom

Have to agree
A good team culture has to have a succession plan. We just haven't done that in recent seasons. It gets handed down gradually. Monty was the last of that breed and there is no one else taking the mantle. Even Monty in the last couple of seasons seemed weighed down by the pressure of been the only one who really bled yellow. I do like the look of new guys like Melling, Skep and Rowles though, and think Tommy H, Wout , Baro and Golec could help rebuild a strong club culture. We need that more than anything.

Gratis

I think you have hit the nail on the head, Oz. In the last 2 games, you just don't see the desperation to give everything. This is the most disheartening thing of all.

I don't mind being on the losing end (i'd prefer not to be), but go down swinging. We just don't see enough swinging.
I've mentioned previously that the famous mariners spirit seems to be a pale shadow of itself. Last night I was thinking about it when we were 2-0 down. I had decided at that point that it was a loss - and it was only half way through the game. in the days of yore I'd have KNOWN that it wasn't over until the very last kick of the ball as the boys would fight and fight and fight to the end

localpom

As we’ve said for a while there is no Monty or Hutch. An out and out Mariner who is a real leader. Who gets cranky at the boys for playing shit who when says come on lets get them every one follows.

These type of players are not highly regarded in today’s world of fancy feet over heart and soul. Wout or Baro are not this type.
That's a big problem i have with modern football thinking. Teams are built on a style of play, robotic like. I believe every team should have a couple of physically and mentally tough guys who never take a back step and fight to the end. Positive thinkers who influence all around them.
They don't have to be the best players but are the one's the team is built around. Historically for us, it's guys like Monty, Jedi, Hutch, Rostyn. Even guys like Tommy Rogic, Matt Ryan and Gumps had that.
I would like to see us bringing in a few players that have "Character", as well as those that fit into a mould of how we play.

Coast Football Ramble

I'm not one to support a "jobs for the boys" culture, but it'd be great to get some of the old heads back on board to remind the players of the club they represent and the culture that built it. Guys like Hutch, D-Mac, Gumps even- what else are they doing these days?

To think days like this are already a decade ago...
SwHqLUol.png

There's still painted jet on the slab where I painted that banner.
Also have most of those flags at home, no one to wave them though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami