• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 1 - F3 Derby #42, Gosford

JoyfulPenguin

As a Mariners fan, apart from the first ten minutes, that was one of the most painful games I have ever watched.I hope it was an aberration and we can play how we did in those first ten minutes for the rest of the season.

I thought Tom Glover did well apart from O'Donovan's second goal, not much he could do for the others. His fake out of the snake was a highlight on a dark day

Jake McGing was atrocious, he isn't a right back and we desperately need an actual back up right back for when Storm is away with New Zealand. He didn't know how to position his body in defence and was such a terrible crosser that the Jets just left him alone when he was free on the wing, this took away space from our midfield and allowed the Jets to choke all of our central attacks with numbers.

Alan Baro looked out of it after he gave away the penalty to O'Donovan but was probably the best member of defence, you can't do much when McGing is letting Nabbout and Co have so much space and time.

Antony Golec looked too nervous to fight for headers, which is what we needed him to do most, we desperately need him to step up as he is our only defender with an ounce of height.

Josh Rose looked his age and wasn't quick enough to get back when the Jets transitioned ,he struggled to cross and create chances from overlapping when given time and space, he and Pain haven't gelled yet and I can see us missing Galloway a lot this season if Rowles is not ready to be a starting left back.

Wout Brama really disappointed me, we needed an experienced guy like him to step up today and he just didn't look up to the task, his basic technique let him down time and time again. In the early part of the game he broke up the Jets play well, then put in less and less effort as the game went on.

Tom Hiariej looked very accomplished, he linked our defence and attack very well and broke up quite a number of the Jets transitions as well. He knows how to recycle the ball through the midfield and his set pieces for the most part were very good.

Dani Da Silva showed potential and hunger today, with time he and Asdrubal can be a dangerous combo but we desperately need our wingers and full backs to pose some danger to give him the space he needs to operate. His ball control and vision is first class and he will only get better as the season goes on.

Kwabena Appiah worried the Jets defence but still seems to be unable to move his game beyond just blind pace, his crosses were ineffectual and wasteful but he so often gets into great positions only to waste them. His work rate was phenomenal and he deserves credit for that but we desperately need him to be able to accurately cross. From a purely positional perspective he linked well with McGing but neither had the technical ability to feed Asdrubal or our midfielders on the edge of the box.

Asdrubal seems like a better version of Fabio, he has good close control and dribbling skills but will seemingly fight harder for the ball than Fab ever did. His goal was sheer luck but hopefully a confidence booster for him. He made good runs and was starting to gel with Da Silva, definitely needs the ball on deck, doesn't have the height or leap for aerial duels.

Connor Pain frustrated me this whole game, he slowed down our ball movement, couldn't execute a simple cross and didn't know how to recycle it back when an attack wasn't on though he wasn't helped in this by Josh Rose, he is a capable player but needed to show more than he did today. His ball control has improved significantly since his time at the Victory but if we are to beat the better sides this season we need him at his best. His cross from our quick free kick shows that he is more than capable of delivering accurate crosses, we just need him to do it consistently.

Trent Buhagiar has the same problems in his game as Appiah, but unlike Appiah he has demonstrated that he can provide pin point crosses. He had a disappointing game and provided no real impact when he came on. He is one of the best wingers in the A-League when in form and confident, how he pushes on from today will have a big impact on our season. An in form Buhagiar is a threat to any A-League side.

Bingham wasted chance after chance today, he had three golden opportunities and couldn't convert. I love his fight and energy but if he's going to have an A-League contract next year he needs to be burying those chances.

Liam Rose improved our ball speed when brought on and looked much more composed than Golec on the ball. Was a good idea by Okon to bring him on while we were behind and I think he helped stabilize the team.

Overall I think there is still light at the end of the tunnel, there is a hell of a lot of upside in this side and possession based sides normally take longer to gel. This was a painful game but hopefully one that spurs on the boys to be better for the rest of the season.

JoyfulPenguin

Match Report for Fox Sports by David Weiner:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...y/news-story/e05a203e559ff4e00ba83833ebdba3e7

Match Report for the Sydney Morning Herald by James Gardiner:
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...ners-51-in-aleague-derby-20171007-gywci5.html

Match Report for The Roar by Adrian Warren:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/10/07/jets-hammer-mariners-league-derby/

Match Report for Stuff NZ by the AAP:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/footb...hrash-central-coast-mariners-in-aleague-derby

Player Ratings for FourFourTwo by Lucas Radbourne-Pugh:
https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/f3-derby-player-ratings-474929

Talking Points by Tim Roberts for the Daily Football Show:
http://dailyfootballshow.com/talkin...mariners-1-newcastle-jets-5-new-boys-impress/
Player Ratings by Brayden May for the Daily Football Show:
http://dailyfootballshow.com/player...ewcastle-jets-5-an-attacking-quartet-to-fear/

Video of O'Donovan's penalty (article claiming he went down easy):
http://www.sportingnews.com/au/foot...-a-league-f3-derby/130pht2c621lt1vn1oh8obl8pp

bikinigirl

Wout Brama really disappointed me, we needed an experienced guy like him to step up today and he just didn't look up to the task, his basic technique let him down time and time again. In the early part of the game he broke up the Jets play well, then put in less and less effort as the game went on.

. i have singled this out of a very good post because i have had such a bad night's sleep (reminiscent of a night pacing a hotel room up in Brisbane many years ago) ... as my brain searches for the answer to 'what the f**k went wrong?'

. and yes there are plenty of reasons ... but we really missed someone like Monty last night. forget about technical ability, age, etc etc ... we really needed someone to take control and lead by example - this would have been an every week result without Monty over the last couple of seasons and I think that is what worries me most. please don't read this as a 'bring back Monty' post as I suspect some of you will (Jedinak and Griffiths used to do the same thing for us) ... I'd have thought this would have been Brama's role - and I hope he just needs to understand how to do that in this team and in this this league

. which brings me to Baro ... who was partly responsible for the joke that was their first. I think that little episode took his leadership out of the game ... if so that is something he (and Okon) need to sort out well before next week (I thought it would have happened at half time ... but things actually got worse ... obviously not the inspirational team talk we saw the result of at the start of last season)

. they're the guys I expect more from - unfortunately my expectations for McGing were not as high and he was an open book that Merrick read with glee at the announcement of the team sheet. even when he was arguably 'in position', such as their third, he was nowhere near where he needed to be - providing acres of space for a pinpoint cross (which was practically unchallenged by the way). but most of the time ... at Okon's urging (I have no doubt) ... he was nowhere near his required defensive position. he is a bit like an emu ... tall and ungainly with reasonable pace, but useless on the wing

Last edited:

BaysideMariner

Tdc5VSe.jpg

Ancient Mariner

As a Mariners fan, apart from the first ten minutes, that was one of the most painful games I have ever watched.I hope it was an aberration and we can play how we did in those first ten minutes for the rest of the season.

I thought Tom Glover did well apart from O'Donovan's second goal, not much he could do for the others. His fake out of the snake was a highlight on a dark day

Jake McGing was atrocious, he isn't a right back and we desperately need an actual back up right back for when Storm is away with New Zealand. He didn't know how to position his body in defence and was such a terrible crosser that the Jets just left him alone when he was free on the wing, this took away space from our midfield and allowed the Jets to choke all of our central attacks with numbers.

Alan Baro looked out of it after he gave away the penalty to O'Donovan but was probably the best member of defence, you can't do much when McGing is letting Nabbout and Co have so much space and time.

Antony Golec looked too nervous to fight for headers, which is what we needed him to do most, we desperately need him to step up as he is our only defender with an ounce of height.

Josh Rose looked his age and wasn't quick enough to get back when the Jets transitioned ,he struggled to cross and create chances from overlapping when given time and space, he and Pain haven't gelled yet and I can see us missing Galloway a lot this season if Rowles is not ready to be a starting left back.

Tom Hiariej looked very accomplished, he linked our defence and attack very well and broke up quite a number of the Jets transitions as well. He knows how to recycle the ball through the midfield and his set pieces for the most part were very good.

Dani Da Silva showed potential and hunger today, with time he and Asdrubal can be a dangerous combo but we desperately need our wingers and full backs to pose some danger to give him the space he needs to operate. His ball control and vision is first class and he will only get better as the season goes on.

Kwabena Appiah worried the Jets defence but still seems to be unable to move his game beyond just blind pace, his crosses were ineffectual and wasteful but he so often gets into great positions only to waste them. His work rate was phenomenal and he deserves credit for that but we desperately need him to be able to accurately cross. From a purely positional perspective he linked well with McGing but neither had the technical ability to feed Asdrubal or our midfielders on the edge of the box.

Asdrubal seems like a better version of Fabio, he has good close control and dribbling skills but will seemingly fight harder for the ball than Fab ever did. His goal was sheer luck but hopefully a confidence booster for him. He made good runs and was starting to gel with Da Silva, definitely needs the ball on deck, doesn't have the height or leap for aerial duels.

Connor Pain frustrated me this whole game, he slowed down our ball movement, couldn't execute a simple cross and didn't know how to recycle it back when an attack wasn't on though he wasn't helped in this by Josh Rose, he is a capable player but needed to show more than he did today. His ball control has improved significantly since his time at the Victory but if we are to beat the better sides this season we need him at his best. His cross from our quick free kick shows that he is more than capable of delivering accurate crosses, we just need him to do it consistently.

Trent Buhagiar has the same problems in his game as Appiah, but unlike Appiah he has demonstrated that he can provide pin point crosses. He had a disappointing game and provided no real impact when he came on. He is one of the best wingers in the A-League when in form and confident, how he pushes on from today will have a big impact on our season. An in form Buhagiar is a threat to any A-League side.

Bingham wasted chance after chance today, he had three golden opportunities and couldn't convert. I love his fight and energy but if he's going to have an A-League contract next year he needs to be burying those chances.

Liam Rose improved our ball speed when brought on and looked much more composed than Golec on the ball. Was a good idea by Okon to bring him on while we were behind and I think he helped stabilize the team.

Overall I think there is still light at the end of the tunnel, there is a hell of a lot of upside in this side and possession based sides normally take longer to gel. This was a painful game but hopefully one that spurs on the boys to be better for the rest of the season.

Great summation, could not add anything more.
Saved me a lot of typing.

true believer

Scum will not get the spoon. They are more likely to be top 6 than us.

Scum's defence was way better than ours. Merrick took Okon to school tonight. Roy the Snake looked fantastic...the dirty spud thick Irish bastard! Same as when Matty Simon plays against us...they can't believe the sub schoolboy defending...and fill their boots.
Scum were leading or close to it 1/3 way through last season .
We'll see if they don't go the same way , again

true believer

Scum will not get the spoon. They are more likely to be top 6 than us.

Scum's defence was way better than ours. Merrick took Okon to school tonight. Roy the Snake looked fantastic...the dirty spud thick Irish bastard! Same as when Matty Simon plays against us...they can't believe the sub schoolboy defending...and fill their boots.
Okon should have left rose at cb as he did before half time . Bring in storm for mcging and rowles or other for golec

yellowcake

Asdrubal looked really pissed when he got subbed when I thought he'd put in a decent shift. Hopefully that was from what was on the scoreboard or not matching his opposite number with a hattrick, rather than a "what the f**k is this, I wish I'd never come here..."
We've seen that 'strange new country' adjustment thing go badly before.

He does needs to know that the adjustment to the A-League is harden up > cynical theatrics.

bradley

Biggest issue with last nights performance that I had was our insistence on playing long balls and not winning anything in the air. We need some height around the park. As soon as we played the ball along the ground in the second half we looked a much better team.

In saying that, and it hurts me to say this, the Jets were clinical in front of goal last night, they converted their chances, we didn't.

With a bit of luck though we could have been up 2-0 if Appiah could have managed to get it around or over Duncan. Instead we give cheap turnovers and poor defence (McGing...) and O'Donovan killed us.

Also would like to see a bit of emotion and passion from Okon on the bench. Looking from the eastern side of the pitch it looked like we was just sitting there waiting for a bus....

Vent done, bring on next week!

Ozhammer

I have had to sleep (not well I might add) on yesterday's result (and I choose the word result and not game deliberately) before posting.

As has been mentioned by others, the team has definitely played far worse that we did yesterday but ultimately the scoreboard doesn't lie.

Rather than go all chapter and verse, I will just pick out a few (imo) salient points to add to the debate:

1. The penalty was a very poor call from an inexperienced referee (ironically the same guy who sent Roy off at AAMI Park last season), which should have been overturned by the VAR. It changed the momentum of the game and perhaps understandably left our defenders fearful of making meaningful challenges in the area.

2. Paolo seems wedded to the concept of playing our full backs high up the park but there are a couple of obvious issues with this tactic; a) this only works if you have the midfield players and forwards to retain or immediately win back possession of the ball and b) it leaves an absolute paddock for opposition wingers/forwards to play into it you turn over possession. To a degree you can counter this by only pushing one FB up in each attack and sliding the remaining three defenders across. Josh Rose does not have the engine to get up and down the park for 90 minutes, whilst McGing did not have the nous to play as a FB and Merrick took total advantage of both these factors, as any good coach should do. Yes our No.4 was largely at fault for 3 of their goals but as much as his performance irritated me as a fan, being played out of position is hard for most players, so I will therefore temper my criticism.

3. Where was Paolo's plan B to counter what the Jets were doing to us? He continued to persist with pushing both FB's high when we were 3-1 down, which just invited the Jets to continue counter attacking us. His apparent lack of tactical flexibility is a concern for me personally and was something I saw quite a few times last season (although I did consider that his options may have been limited with the squad he had back then) so it begs the question as to whether he is a one trick pony? The modern game demands that a coach has to have a primary and a number of back up tactical plans for each and every game and so I guess we will see just how good a coach Paolo is, now he has his own squad of players. That McGing was found to be sorely lacking at RB, perhaps shows how short-sighted the decision to let Adelson go, as we really have no depth there at all.

4. We need far more from players like Pain and Appiah (or whoever starts in the wide attacking positions). Whilst Appiah will run his heart out all game, he needs to show more intelligence in the final third (not sure how you coach that into someone tbh, as it is almost an instinctive thing imo). Pain simply needs to step up or be benched period. He makes minimum effort to defend when we are not in possession leaving our left flank wide open at times and even his attempts to close down opposition players don't convince me or anyone else, especially his direct opponents. I cut him a bit if slack last season after hearing that his lack of game time at Victory had meant he was struggling with the demands of playing for longer. This season he has no excuses however and therefore either needs to step up or ship out.

There is a lot more I could say but I will just close out by saying there were enough positives in the game for me not to heap crap on the team at this stage. The Jets arguably had their game of the season and we showed some positional and tactical naivety in key moments, which will have to be addressed against the Wanderers next Saturday.

One swallow doesn't make a summer and one unfortunate result doesn't necessarily make for a poor season.

offtheball

I’m surprised we showed no interest in Topor Stanley when he was on the market. Experience, height, communication, bit of mongrel at the back would have helped tonight.

Gratis

Usually I walk away from a game like that gutted but I left the ground feeling ok.
-- For the record I am not ok with the scoreline --

First game of the season and there were a couple of clear points for me:

1. We have a very good team.
As the machine tunes we will be very competitive and will certainly dominate, control and win games. Adding Hoole will make a big difference next week I expect.

2. The Jets are dirty.
The amount of hacking was disgusting and the ref let them get away with it. Roy's dive was blatant and I'd love to see him get suspended for it post game but now he's not a Mariner I'm sure it won't even come up.

3. We are still susceptible to bullying.
Even though the scum should never have been allowed to hack the way they did it won't be the last time teams try to out-muscle us. Unless we work out how to manage that it'll lose us games again.

4. Depth will be an issue.
Full squad and I think we would have been better. Goes to show how easily one or two key players out may affect us through the season.

Credit to the scum - they took their chances. Something we and the national team can't seem to nail down yet. This is a key factor in the score last night.

We have some growth to achieve but I think we can all see the potential. Hopefully this is a forgettable blip on our road to defeating the scum 5-0 in the grand final.

Gratis

I’m surprised we showed no interest in Topor Stanley when he was on the market. Experience, height, communication, bit of mongrel at the back would have helped tonight.
I thought that at the time but people who have followed him much more closely argue that he is very hot and cold and his bad games outweigh his good. My own assessment is that I'd have liked him but am reliably informed he's more frustrating than reliable.
Shame he had his good game against us

bikinigirl

. mongrel is a good choice of word ... we had none ... in a derby no less

. one action could have inspired the team ... unfortunately we looked uninspired for the most part

Timmah

1. The penalty was a very poor call from an inexperienced referee (ironically the same guy who sent Roy off at AAMI Park last season), which should have been overturned by the VAR. It changed the momentum of the game and perhaps understandably left our defenders fearful of making meaningful challenges in the area.
Inexperienced yes, but not the right guy. Daniel Elder who is looking after WSW v Perth tonight was the man who showed Roy red in January at AAMI.

Bareiro was the man in the middle three weekends earlier when we hosted City on NYE.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

That's just brilliant. It's a shame they don't show the tifo on TV.
Anyway, today's Saturday, right? We all had the same horrible dream somehow?

Big Al

Watching the replay this morning and the guy encroaching is in going past the ref when Roy hits the ball.
Sure there are probably always a little encroaching but this was blantant in front of the ref. VAR should also have intervened

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred