• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 1 2018/19 v Brisbane Roar

scottmac

Suspended
There was no structure to our play at all going forward. Quite disappointing. Defence kept showing up which was good. Oniell and Tom will be amazing. Mcglinchy may not make the side

Michael

Rowles would’ve felt completely awkward being RB tonight and he did look it in certain situations, but as an out and out defender he has most tools and has so much potential. He got caught out plenty but did a job in the end and did improve.
That tackle that Beath stupidly thought was a pen was brilliant for example.

The most awkward part for a lefty playing RB is the turning and chasing and the running towards your goal line and it being instinct to not use your left foot to cut the cross out which Rowles did a few times and that causes a loss of balance and also it’s slighlty slower and therefore less efficient.
I think Rowles playing RB says more about McGing and Millar tbh.
Overall we will improve. It’s a good base to start the season. Brisbane played very well until it was time to shoot. (The story in most aleague games)

pjennings

There was no structure to our play at all going forward. Quite disappointing. Defence kept showing up which was good. Oniell and Tom will be amazing. Mcglinchy may not make the side

We looked better with O'Neill on and competed better in midfield. Not sure that we can play with both Matty and McCormack.

Ozhammer

We looked better with O'Neill on and competed better in midfield. Not sure that we can play with both Matty and McCormack.
We can if Big Mac plays as the 10.

Despite him starting brightly and scoring, Pain frustrated me from about 50 mins with his reluctance to defend. Murray was much better in that regard when he came on, whilst still trying to get forward when we were attacking.

style_cafe

I was disappointed with the result & thought we had jagged a win when Cisse scored.
I can`t believe the VAR over-ruled the referee on 2 occasions yet Beath never went to the VAR when Cisse scored.
That`s beyond belief for me.
Still, as has been indicated previously, Taggart was disgraceful as a striker and has probably ruled himself out of Socceroo contention for a while with that effort.He should have had at least 4 goals
I was happy with the desperation our back four showed,saving us time and time again with last ditch tackles.
Maybe they just didn`t want Kennedy to be called upon.....
Rowles has impressed me ever since I first saw him,it`s a big call but I think in time he will make the Socceroos.
Cisse was impressive too he certainly stopped a lot of ball.
Tommy H was quiet as was most of the midfield but I think Mulvey can remedy that with time.
The most disappointing aspect though for me was our seemingly pedestriant attitude in attack.
The movement was very slow, the crosses were awful and penetration was non existent
Overall though I`m glad we didn`t lose and got away with a point.
A big shout out to for the club in organising the Football Grounds for the big screen.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I was disappointed with the result & thought we had jagged a win when Cisse scored.
I can`t believe the VAR over-ruled the referee on 2 occasions yet Beath never went to the VAR when Cisse scored.
That`s beyond belief for me.
Still, as has been indicated previously, Taggart was disgraceful as a striker and has probably ruled himself out of Socceroo contention for a while with that effort.He should have had at least 4 goals
I was happy with the desperation our back four showed,saving us time and time again with last ditch tackles.
Maybe they just didn`t want Kennedy to be called upon.....
Rowles has impressed me ever since I first saw him,it`s a big call but I think in time he will make the Socceroos.
Cisse was impressive too he certainly stopped a lot of ball.
Tommy H was quiet as was most of the midfield but I think Mulvey can remedy that with time.
The most disappointing aspect though for me was our seemingly pedestriant attitude in attack.
The movement was very slow, the crosses were awful and penetration was non existent
Overall though I`m glad we didn`t lose and got away with a point.
A big shout out to for the club in organising the Football Grounds for the big screen.
The VAR did check when Cisse scored, and either agreed it was off or was inconclusive. Thing is, it was a very, very quick check - as opposed to several minutes up the other end.
Given that Cisse appeared to be level, I really question wtf is happening there.

Also, what about Cisse getting thrown to the ground by his neck? Off-the-ball contact to the head or neck is a red card unless it's negligible.

As for the concerns about the performance - let's also remember that this is, quite literally, their first game together, given how MM approached preseason.

true believer

O'Neill was absolute class. Can't wait to see him start a game. Him and Tom at the pivot will be great. I would also rather we moved Mikey up to 10 and Ross at 9.

I think simon gave us alot of mungrol late in the first half when they were kicking the shit out of us while beath turned a blind eye. Horses for courses i think .but simons physicality was crucial tonight

Last edited:

Wombat

Pain or Weemac have to make way for O'Neill

Wombat

It was ok and Brisbane look better than last year.

I was happy with both fullbacks. Rowles really grew into the job and without him at RB im suggesting we would have lost that game.
Kennedy was excellent.
Cisse and Golec were both good but bad at the same time. Cisse looked very dodgy early but improved alot. Golec saved 2 goals with excellent challenges but should have attempted a block on the Taggert goal.
Both are still a work in progress.
Midfield was weak. Pain offered good offensive outlet but didnt look for the ball enough.
Tommy was sublime in patches. Weemac and Oar were average.
McCormack and Simon did ok.

Good point and great to see the fight of old.

Lots to work on.

Wombat

Kennedy 8. MOM
Rowles 7. A proper defender. Needs to polish his marking and positioning.....but can make that spot his own on that performance.
Clisby 7. Good tough game.
Golec. 6.5. Still gets lost at times but a real defender and saved us countless times.
Cisse 6. Not sure why Harper was fapping over him like he used to over Caceras. His "goal" was beautiful but suspect early on and needs to tighten his defending.
Weemac 5.5. Worked hard.
Pain 6. Great finish but needs to be busier.
Tommy 6.5. Superb assist and some lovely moments. Worked hard but id like to see him drive forward with the ball sometimes.
Oar 6. Was aggressive and tried hard but not at his best.
Ross. 6 Needs to be hungrier but his quality is obvious.
Simon 6.5. Good captains knock.

O"Neill needs to start.

Ancient Mariner

Very happy with tonight's game, showed a lot of promise for the future. Sure Brisbane missed many chances but our back 4 stopped a lot as well.
As many here have already pointed out the problem tonight was the midfield. The back 4 coped extremely well considering how exposed they were.
Problem 1: Simply Wee Mac is not a DM and is not a great defender. Tommy H is but needs a partner. I would say when O'Neil is match fit we will be ok.
Problem 2: There was no creativity in attack, I would prefer Wee Mac as #10 and Ross as #9. Matty won nearly all the headers from our goal clearances but the ball went straight to the opposition. It may be here to say it but he would be better used as Arnie used him with SFC.
Problem 3: The reason there was a lot of attack down our right side was not because of Rowles at right back it was because Paine is still slow to get back in defence as he always has been. Great attacking winger poor defensively.

My team for next week.

Kennedy
Rowles Cisse Golec Clisby
Murray Tommy H Oneil Tommy O
Wee Mac
Ross

Melling as DM if O'Neil not ready to start.

To put it simply more stopping needed in DM, more creativity in AM.

It was good to see the abandonment of Okon possession at all costs however the abandonment went a little far. Some respect for possession would be nice.

Brisbane on tonight's performance will be one of the top sides this year. Do not sell Mariner's achievement short. They "done good, played well".

midfielder

What I did not see tonight and maybe because the TV view normally focuses on the say 15 to 20 meters near the ball so live it maybe different.

What I did not see tonight was a midfield getting back to help the backs by showing for the ball in easy positions nor holding the ball so the backs could get a breather...

Also I did not see either weeMac nor Pain covering runs by players off the ball and this left our backs constantly exposed to having unchallenged players on the ball in front of them with runners also largely unmarked and this is a backs nightmare holding your position and watching your player with attacking players not being closed down in front of you.

Tommy H, sublime in attack, but lacks a little authority in defence.

O'Neil if fit is a certain starter and I see both weeMac & Murray putting pressure on Pain for his starting position.

Cisse ..... hhhmmmm .... tis only one match, but he is a talker and organiser something we have not had since Dutchie , overall pleased with the backs they had a lot of work to do.

To me its obvious were our weakness are, and twas the same weakness we have had since the Hutch & Monty show left town. Hopefully Oar, O'Neil & Murray can

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred