• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 1 2018/19 v Brisbane Roar

Ozhammer

I can’t see a thread for our opening round game as yet, so I thought I would start the ball rolling (see what I did there? :headbounce:).

What are people’s thoughts on our line up and tactics, given (as seems likely) O’Neil will be unavailable. Does MMM drop Weemac a little deeper into the midfield or does Melling come in alongside Tom?

Who will start in the backline and what shape wil our attack take? I am not sure even MMM knows what his best 11 looks like yet, so he will no doubt have some selection conundrums to solve but that is why he is paid the big bucks I guess.

Look forward to reading folk’s views on this topic, so go for your lives.

Last edited:

marinermick

Mikey will definitely drop to an eight role. Looks like Oar and Murray in the outside role with the possibility of Pain replacing Murray. Clisby, Cisse and Golec appear certainities with Millar looking the preferred at right.

So happy this thread has started. It means football!

Last edited:

Tevor

Bogey team, really hoping MMM has us primed for this game and it would be sweet to go to Brisvegas and come home with something from this game. Lost faith in Okon last year when he couldn't get us motivated to beat the Roar Retirees last year when they should have been ripe for the picking.

Agree with Mick in that Weemac may drop deeper, he has had a good pre-season by all accounts so would assume he will be in there somewhere. MMM really has us guessing with the team line up which I like and will make the lead up more interesting. I'm hoping to see some little surprises in the team like Murray getting start. Will also be a good test for the defence as Taggart has been blowing his trumpet a bit and seems to be keen to get a few goals early in the season and he is dangerous. They also have some interesting new players so definitely look stronger than last year IMO. Can't wait for super Sunday, three games starting at 3pm.:overheadl:

Offsider

Unfortunate to meet brisbane this early with an unsettled defense and mm saying all out attack :unsure:
Put +2.5 goals in my multi but hoping they all aren’t brisbanes.:-|

Not ............. real confident of a loss.:)

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
FINALLY ❗️❗️❗️❗️ Some footy without the word friendly in front of it
Dunno if MMM has the boys revved just because he coached blokes who wore the same shirts a yonk or two ago
I would imagine that Corey and Tommy would be keen, Hell, I’m fairly certain all the boys are up for it....will we win?
We’ll shit it in ( that’s me, Captain positivity)
#COYY

Antlion

This could go either way but at least a win feels like a real chance!
Unlike last year going into every game fairly sure it was going to be embarrassing

Capt. Awesome

My Starting 11 would be.

--------------BK---------------
Millar-Cisse-Golec-Clisby
------WeeMac-Hiariej------
Murray-McCormack-Oar
------------Simon------------

Bench: Pearce, Pain, Kekeris, Melling, McGing

It will be a tough game and I think we can jag a win but its more likely we will lose this one. I just don't think our first 11 have had to time to gel. It will take a few weeks to get some flow. Just hope we can get some wins for our confidence moving forward.

localpom

I actually think MM will spring a surprise and O'Neill will start. It's not been a major injury but think they haven't wanted to risk him.
.........................BK..................................
Millar........Cisse........Golec......Clisby....
...........O'Neill.........Tommy H..................
Wee mac.................................Tommy O.
........................Ross Mac.......................
...........................Matty................................

Bench is tough....Pearce, Pain, Murray, McGing, Melling.

Michael

So bloody excited!
I feel like Millar will get first go at RB. Which will probably mean Rowles misses the squad because surely McGing will be the defensive bench option. I’d love for Murray to start but I feel like MM will go with Pain first up. How’s Gameiro tracking? Can’t remember the last pre season match he took part in. I’m also praying O’Neil might sneak the bench.
BK
Millar Cisse Golec Clisby
Tom H Wee Mac
Pain Ross. Oar
Matty
Bench: Pearce, McGing, O’Neil/Melling, Murray.

To be absolutely honest I’ve barely payed any attention to other clubs pre seasons, apart from when they’ve signed players, because ours has been pretty full on.

I’d take a 2-2 draw in Brisbane first up. Won’t be surprised if we’re red hot in the front 3rd and put a few on them though.

Offsider

So bloody excited!
I feel like Millar will get first go at RB. Which will probably mean Rowles misses the squad because surely McGing will be the defensive bench option. I’d love for Murray to start but I feel like MM will go with Pain first up. How’s Gameiro tracking? Can’t remember the last pre season match he took part in. I’m also praying O’Neil might sneak the bench.
BK
Millar Cisse Golec Clisby
Tom H Wee Mac
Pain Ross. Oar
Matty
Bench: Pearce, McGing, O’Neil/Melling, Murray.

To be absolutely honest I’ve barely payed any attention to other clubs pre seasons, apart from when they’ve signed players, because ours has been pretty full on.

I’d take a 2-2 draw in Brisbane first up. Won’t be surprised if we’re red hot in the front 3rd and put a few on them though.

They are strong at the back with devere fighting for his spot.:(

Ozhammer

From what I have seen of pre-season (all games except the Wolves and SFC fixtures) I think McGing is the better option at RB, as Millar has not impressed me overly in the games I have watched. He has a decent engine but gets caught out positionally when the opposition is in transition and his crossing is woeful more often than not. McGing is no worse (or better) positionally but his crossing is better than Millar, so he shades it imho.

Luca Brasi

Would assume O'Neill and Gamiero are both out, Mulvey made a point in the press conference of saying he wanted to get as many minutes into legs as he could in the SFC and MSW trials.
I think McGing is the better option at RB
I agree but wonder given Millar played RB and Mcging CB. The potentially troublesome right back spot!
I hope Murray starts, looked dangerous all pre season.
Both squads have been through some churn but we are likely to have only 4 or 5 starters from last season (thankfully), could take a while before we gel.

Big Al

From what I have seen of pre-season (all games except the Wolves and SFC fixtures) I think McGing is the better option at RB, as Millar has not impressed me overly in the games I have watched. He has a decent engine but gets caught out positionally when the opposition is in transition and his crossing is woeful more often than not. McGing is no worse (or better) positionally but his crossing is better than Millar, so he shades it imho.
Was just about to say McGing (who I don’t like) should be in front of Millar. Millar hasn’t shown anything that suggests McGing looses his spot.

Michael

I agree McGing is the better RB, the reason I think Millar is likely to get first crack is only because he’s been used there more often during pre season.

Also on McGing if he were to be on the bench, he can also cover the centre mid area so that could mean Kekeris or Shabow on the bench instead of Melling.

Geeze it’s nice to be able rack our brains about the bench again. And well, the whole starting side in general.

Wombat

I actually think MM will spring a surprise and O'Neill will start. It's not been a major injury but think they haven't wanted to risk him.
.........................BK..................................
Millar........Cisse........Golec......Clisby....
...........O'Neill.........Tommy H..................
Wee mac.................................Tommy O.
........................Ross Mac.......................
...........................Matty................................

Bench is tough....Pearce, Pain, Murray, McGing, Melling.

Thats probably our best side atm. Question marks on both RB options but i disagree that McGing crosses better than Millar. I'm hoping Aspro comes into the side over the next couple of weeks.....maybe at RB.

localpom

I agree McGing is the better RB, the reason I think Millar is likely to get first crack is only because he’s been used there more often during pre season.

Also on McGing if he were to be on the bench, he can also cover the centre mid area so that could mean Kekeris or Shabow on the bench instead of Melling.

Geeze it’s nice to be able rack our brains about the bench again. And well, the whole starting side in general.
And that's with Gameiro and Aspro not factored in. Once they are fit we have some selection headaches.

priorpeter

Footy is baaaaaaaaaaack!!
Was headed up for this one but had to cancel it as work has me headed elsewhere. Gutted.
Suspect we will line up something along the lines of:

————BK————
Millar—golec—cisse—Clisby
——Hiariej—melling——
Oar——McCormack——Pain
————Simon————

Bench:
Pearce
Rowles/McGing
Mcglinchey
Shabow
Muzz

Or possibly:

————BK————
Millar—Golec—Cisse—Clisby
——hiariej—McGlinchey——
Muzz——McCormack——Oar
————Simon————
Bench:
Pearce
Rowles/McGing
Pain
Berry
Melling

Either way, looks more potent than last year. McCormack has looked good at 10, something we’ve sorely lacked in the last few years. Mcglinchey has had incredible energy in preseason and seems to have found a new lease on life. Like others, I’m concerned about the RB and GK spots - RB in particular having to contend with Bautheac... personally I’d prefer McGing there but Mulvey has seemed to prefer Millar there in preseason and I feel he will continue in that spot.
Mulvey seems to have shifted away from the 3-5-2 he was using earlier in preseason, will be interesting to see if he keeps this up his sleeve as a plan b of sorts.

Footy’s back footy’s back footy’s back footy’s back footy’s back footy’s back footy’s back footy’s back footy’s back footy’s back footy’s baaaaaacccckk!:overheadl:

style_cafe

Most of the positions seem to be sorted.
I prefer McGing to Millar at this stage due mainly to his experience.
In a season opener we cannot afford any debutant nerves and I think Millar should be brought on (as a reserve) sometime further down the track
Golec will partner Cisse at left CB with Rowles on the bench & Clisby LB
Tommy H and O`Neill as DM if O`Neill is fit
Weemac RM Oar LM
SuperMac as 10
Simon at striker

Splinter: Rowles, Pain, Melling, Murray
Keepers same as everyone else

It`s going to be tough as it usually is with Roar.
They certainly have had the wood on us over the years but we have a really strong starting lineup.
The players MMM has selected this year gives us a versatility that we haven`t seen in the previous 4 seasons.
We have players like McGing who could push into the midfield, Weemac can play anywhere, Supermac can push forward,Oar can play 10, etc.
OMG ! I`m starting to drool at the possibilities.
It may take a while to gel but that`s the same with every team.
I just believe in Mulvey and I think he will have the team pumped and ready to perform from the getgo....:popcorn:
MARINERS TIL I DIE...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami