• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 1 2018/19 v Brisbane Roar

joe bailey

I thought the team played a lot better when Matt Simon went off! Just my own personal observation. Overall, without Cisse we would have lost. Team and individual defending is woeful and did anyone else think our support of one another was terrible? We were too spread apart which made one touch passing and moves unachievable and non exhistent! To me it still seems we lack passion and the desire to win. Oh and after watching City v Victory I'm going in with eyes closed next week...now that was a game to be proud of!

scoober

The problem with our backline is there is no cohesiveness, communication or we had bad decision making. Discounting some good last ditch defending the shape and positioning was all over the shop.
First half Golec and Cisse came out of the line a lot with their attacker to challenge the ball, problem was they didn't win the ball or lay one on the attacker thus becoming redundant against the attack, we then become open and exposed, they played neat 1-2's, also when they did this Rowles and Clisby stayed wider and didn't tuck in to close the gap to the remaining CB allowing for more space to shoot or freedom to slide the next pass.
When they broke our line behind us we were awful in position and awareness of attackers around us. Many times they had three at the back stick to our 1 and then under or over hit it allowing us to avoid the present danger.
Happy with our grind and getting the point but we have a lot to improve on.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Golec kept hanging off the attacker's shoulder on the wrong side making no attempt to stop the ball or disrupt the player He has no desperation. If you as an attacker have the key defender 2 feet away from you generally that shouldn't mean you have all the time in the world

Big Al

Defence was scrambling but they were trying hard under constant pressure. They got lucky a few times and could easily have conceded 4 but luck was on our side and those that say you make your own luck well we did threw effort even if it wasn’t pretty.

We were way to deep but Brisbane are very skilled on the ball.

We basically played to two teams. The defence and the attackers but apart from gods through ball the two never looked like working together. McCormack looked well disinterested until a deadball came along but that shot he hit off the Simon cross was sweet. Sure it’s in row 6 but if he connects on target eatch out. Agree about his free kicks @marinermick he hasn’t hit one sweet here yet and was pissed that foul on ONeill was pegged back 20m and we had to go with Clisby but we scored from it. Just refs with no clue or useless video angles.

Simon tried hard and controlled his agression well but the ref pinged him for everything when it was spitter just as much as it was Simon.

O’Neill is everything @Wombat said he is. So is Cisse. A strong giraffe. If he heads it we sweet but his strong points are not passing but he doesn’t know who to put it in the stands. Which is CB 101.

Weemac was ordinary.

Murray looked good to but might be kept as a sub for impact as he gets used to the league and has played a lot of games this year already.

Kennedy did his job but almost let one get through his legs that he didn’t see.

Same team next week please with O’Neill in for Weemac.

A very scrappy draw but much better than loosing which is all Mulvey promised.

Timmah

Golec kept hanging off the attacker's shoulder on the wrong side making no attempt to stop the ball or disrupt the player He has no desperation. If you as an attacker have the key defender 2 feet away from you generally that shouldn't mean you have all the time in the world
Is it possible he's just got a bit of the jitters after only recently returning from a pretty serious injury? I feel like he just didn't wanna take too many risks first up.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Is it possible he's just got a bit of the jitters after only recently returning from a pretty serious injury? I feel like he just didn't wanna take too many risks first up.
Wouldn't have thought so He got caught ball watching at critical moments too but that's always been a big problem of his. Their goal was 100% Golec's fault, standing back and watching - why was Taggart allowed to receive the ball on the penalty spot with no pressure?

Last edited:

LFCMariners

I thought Cisse was better than a few comments I've seen. But then again, even after watching the A-League from day 1 I still have very little idea about positioning, tactics, and gameplay in general... I put this down to the shit commentary who are more interested in coming up with stupid catch phrases instead of explaining the game. Commentators even had an argument about one of the rules in our game, no clue.

Phew- I thought it was just me!

I'm fine at judging an overall team performance or if a certain player (players) have a notable game- I thought Cisse did a reasonable job, even if his disallowed goal was frustrating because he didn't need to be offside. He could've taken extra care to be in line with the defence and he still would've nailed it AKA CCM win first up against the Roar and the Mulvey Era is off to a perfect start.

CCM played it from the back a lot yesterday- Pain's goal came from counter-attack and besides that, we had maybe 2 other legitimate chances at scoring all game?

Lucky that Taggart has the touch of a whale or yesterday could've seen a real dent in the CCM goal difference for the season already. Brisbane created a shitload more chances to score and we are fortunate they squandered so many of them. A better side would've won in a canter.

It was a modest start to the season but (as it's been pointed out) the team haven't really played together as a squad yet. I expect they'll improve as the season goes on. They at least showed a notable improvement in attitude from the squad last season.

Josho Howe

Agreed with @adz the commentary was absolutely painful to listen to. I think Speed is a very good rugby league commentator but he is an atrocious football commentator.

Timmah

Agreed with @adz the commentary was absolutely painful to listen to. I think Speed is a very good rugby league commentator but he is an atrocious football commentator.
Usually he's ok with football commentary I feel, it's just a disaster when he's paired with fools like Harper.

Offsider

.First gameof the season, much the same as last season for brenton, mr wikipedia, when he called a game nearly the same, being a draw, but the scorers were actually fifth cousins to the reserve goalkeepers uncle who used to play in the early days of the npl, as he would have remembered. He would have remembered the second goal because one was scored just like it in the epl in 2015 between burnley and liverpool, which also brought the crowd to their feet :(

pjennings

If you offered me a point before the game I would take it. If you offered me a point on the balance of play I would take it. Some worries, some room for improvement but all up a competitive effort. IMHO Brisbane looked the best of any team on the weekend.

If the referee had his way we would have lost 3 - 1. With VAR we got a draw. If VAR was used correctly I think we would have had a 2 -1 win.

Fox repeatedly showed Taggart's disallowed goal from an angle in front of side on which was inconclusive because of the parallax error . The side on view had him well in front. Cisse's goal from side seemed to have him onside.

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

I think we got Beathed.
I also think we dodged a bullet.
As well, I think MM learnt more from that game than all the pre season friendlies.
I do not think, but am sure Speed is a dickhead and sounds more like one when he is teamed with a bigger dickhead in Andy Harper.
I am definitely sure I hate VAR.
Those are my opinions, I think.

nero

Cisse was my player for the Mariners. Looked very solid and cut out so many balls.
Brisbane had wave after wave of attacks. The Mariners midfield just didn't put enough pressure on Brisbane.
Simon was great upfront in defense.

Insertnamehere

Cisse was my player for the Mariners. Looked very solid and cut out so many balls.
Brisbane had wave after wave of attacks. The Mariners midfield just didn't put enough pressure on Brisbane.
Simon was great upfront in defense.
We had a midfield?

Wombat

I have no problem with Speed as a caller. Harper on the other hand just said so much drivel that makes me think he might have a substance problem.

The strangest one was when Cisse was fouled in a ridiculous neck drag to the ground. Speed brought some attention to the blatant foul. Harper suggested it wasn't a foul and Speed said are you suggesting it should have gone the other way? Harper, realising shit smelling verbiage was dribbling out of his mouth....said something like, well i didnt really see it...lets talk about something else!

finally retired

I have no problem with Speed as a caller. Harper on the other hand just said so much drivel that makes me think he might have a substance problem.

The strangest one was when Cisse was fouled in a ridiculous neck drag to the ground. Speed brought some attention to the blatant foul. Harper suggested it wasn't a foul and Speed said are you suggesting it should have gone the other way? Harper, realising shit smelling verbiage was dribbling out of his mouth....said something like, well i didnt really see it...lets talk about something else!

yep...Harper suggested it should have been a penalty (Cisse was the defender) basically saying that if a penalty was given across the Tasman for the same thing it should have be given here.....and Speed was incredulous as it was Cisse who was fouled...

Wombat

Roux has a nice contract at Victory .......... obviously not everybody agrees with you........... except mr & mrs Training-Cone.:cheers:

Why are you repeating yourself Offy?
What is Storm's contract worth?

He will be found out at Victory.....until they wake up we can all enjoy them losing and drawing alot.
Keep feeding those Unicorns sugarlumps wont you.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

That one should have been a red card to Roar - don't forget that any off the ball contact to the head or neck is a RC unless negligible. Good thing we have the VAR when the referee, 4th official and AR inexplicably all miss blatant serious offences!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred