• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Road to Russia

Forum Phoenix

Deserved imo. We need intelligent players who have the ability to go past their man and put in dangerous balls. Nearly all our Asian opposition consistently looks better than us creatively and technically. There is no excuse for this, needs to change. We need more of Arzani's ilk. Wouldn't have minded if they had given Atkinson a call up too. Defends and attacks well and is the first Australian RB with the genuine pace to be able to shut down world cup level wingers that I've seen in a while.

My faith in Leckie, Kruse and Troisi is very limited. Though I think Kruse has done well in many games for us - he's just so mentally weak. Arzani has a lot more potential than all these players imo. He's been given a lot of shit for how vertically challenged he often is. But tbh the way he plays, always looking for the foul, is more commensurate with the bulk of world footballing countries and sometimes vital against defenders who are so skilled at bullying players off the ball that the only way to capitalise on your field position is to make them pay by drawing fouls in dangerous areas. He just needs to be better at it. And I'm sure he will be. Given how much he's been practicing :innocent:

For the good of Aussie football, I really hope he gets a strong mentor who can make a good strong man and mind out of his precocious talent.

Big Al

Deserved imo. We need intelligent players who have the ability to go past their man and put in dangerous balls. Nearly all our Asian opposition consistently looks better than us creatively and technically. There is no excuse for this, needs to change. We need more of Arzani's ilk. Wouldn't have minded if they had given Atkinson a call up too. Defends and attacks well and is the first Australian RB with the genuine pace to be able to shut down world cup level wingers that I've seen in a while.

My faith in Leckie, Kruse and Troisi is very limited. Though I think Kruse has done well in many games for us - he's just so mentally weak. Arzani has a lot more potential than all these players imo. He's been given a lot of shit for how vertically challenged he often is. But tbh the way he plays, always looking for the foul, is more commensurate with the bulk of world footballing countries and sometimes vital against defenders who are so skilled at bullying players off the ball that the only way to capitalise on your field position is to make them pay by drawing fouls in dangerous areas. He just needs to be better at it. And I'm sure he will be. Given how much he's been practicing :innocent:

For the good of Aussie football, I really hope he gets a strong mentor who can make a good strong man and mind out of his precocious talent.
Yeah his problem is he does it every time. Got to be smarter. Our refs are on to him and just ignore him and our defenders rub his nose in it. It is a good and bad part of his game but mostly bad at the moment

midfielder

Getting in early and will no doubt change my mind but this would be my starting line up.

--------------------Ryan---------------------
Karacic-Sainsbury-Susnajr-Behich
Arzani-----Mooy----Luongo-----Leckie
------------Rogic--------
-----------Juric---------

Forum Phoenix

Bert is talking about Arzani for maybe the last 15 minutes, so I'm guessing Kruse will hold his spot. I also don't see Mile not starting, BUT we could move him to CB. He's a bloody rock.

Our striker options are so weak. Cahill is still more likely to score more than all the others combined. But he does not have the legs anymore. I'm not a fan of Juric. So average. He misses sitters and the only thing he does consistently is fail to make an impact. I think McClaren and Giannou are probably our future. But that's pretty bleak. Where the hell are our strikers??

Wings... Leckie and Kruse average a goal every ten games. It's not good enough. At least Nabbout and Petratos both know how to score not just run. Whereas Rogic, Luongo, Mile, Mooy, Milligan all have as good or better goal scoring averages than our foremost wingers/forwards (Barring Timmy). I think Rogic and Mooy have the ability to find McClaren, whose energy will at least help create space.

No ideas how Bert is going to get this team to play.

------------------Ryan---------------------
Karacic--Sainsbury--Mile--Behich
Kruse-----Mooy----Luongo-----Leckie
-------------------Rogic--------
----------------McClaren-------

Last edited:

Big Al

Bert is talking about Arzani for maybe the last 15 minutes, so I'm guessing Kruse will hold his spot. I also dld move him on't see Mile not starting, BUT we could move him to CB. He's a bloody rock.

Our striker options are so weak. Cahill is still more likely to score more than all the others combined. But he does not have the legs anymore. I'm not a fan of Juric. So average. He misses sitters and the only thing he does consistently is fail to make an impact. I think McClaren and Giannou are probably our future. But that's pretty bleak. Where the hell are our strikers??

Wings... Leckie and Kruse average a goal every ten games. It's not good enough. At least Nabbout and Petratos both know how to score not just run. Whereas Rogic, Luongo, Mile, Mooy, Milligan all have as good or better goal scoring averages than our foremost wingers/forwards (Barring Timmy). I think Rogic and Mooy have the ability to find McClaren, whose energy will at least help create space.

No ideas how Bert is going to get this team to play.

------------------Ryan---------------------
Karacic--Sainsbury--Mile--Behich
Kruse-----Mooy----Luongo-----Leckie
-------------------Rogic--------
----------------McClaren-------
McClaren :naughty: against top line defenders

Don’t forget Jurman at CB.
Petratos on a wing
Mile might play one game but is in danger but agree his steel is required
Milligan will be be nowhere near. I like that
Yeah Arzani and Cahill and Irvine are the subs
Luongo is certainly the form mid but not sure where he fits

Forum Phoenix

ALL OUR STRIKERS (except Tim for 20 minutes) :naughty: against top line defenders
Fixed ;)

AT least McClaren will be able to outrun a few of them. Juric will offer nothing imo.

Agree on Petratos. Be interesting to see if he challenges Kruse.

I haven't forgotten Jurman. But I don't think Jurman could have done as well as when Mile dropped to CB for Villa this year. And as Mile offers, immense leadership, pens and freekicks as well, for mine he needs to be on. But I think there's a good case for more mobility and I think that to strengthen our weak attack, we will need the creativity of Luongo Mooy and Rogic at the same time. Otherwise I find it very hard to imagine us scoring.

Last edited:

Big Al

Fixed ;)

AT least McClaren will be able to outrun a few of them. Juric will offer nothing imo.

Agree on Petratos. Be interesting to see if he challenges Kruse.

I haven't forgotten Jurman. But I don't think Jurman could have done as well as when Mile dropped to CB for Villa this year. And as Mile offers, immense leadership, pens and freekicks as well, for mine he needs to be on. But I think there's a good case fro more mobility and I think that to strengthen our weak attack, we will need the creativity of Luongo Mooy and Rogic at the same time. Otherwise I find it very hard to imagine us scoring.
I like Juric. Has everything required but just lacks the mental strength the convert that chance at a crucial time but he is our best striker for me

midfielder

My guess of the final squad.

IMO Out
Langerak, Wright, Risdon, Gersbach, Brillante,Troisi, Rukavytsa, Giannou, Cahill

WC squad
GK, Ryan, Jones, Vukovic
DF Sainsbury, Susnajr, Jurman, Degenek, Karacic, Behich, Meredith
MFJedinak, Milligan, Luongo, Irvine, Mooy, Rogic, Petratos
FW Leckie, Arzani, Kruse, Nabbout, Juric, Maclaren

Offsider

My guess of the final squad.

IMO Out
Langerak, Wright, Risdon, Gersbach, Brillante,Troisi, Rukavytsa, Giannou, Cahill

WC squad
GK, Ryan, Jones, Vukovic
DF Sainsbury, Susnajr, Jurman, Degenek, Karacic, Behich, Meredith
MFJedinak, Milligan, Luongo, Irvine, Mooy, Rogic, Petratos
FW Leckie, Arzani, Kruse, Nabbout, Juric, Maclaren

McLaren has announced his football is over and is going on holiday.
Bert loves speed so Rootyersister might still have a shot.

Big Al

Maclaren is rumoured to have been told he was out of the squad before his game last night and was pissed off.
Nice response with the hat trick

Forum Phoenix

Very tough on him. Bad decision imo. Only Australian forward who currently is playing and scoring consistently. (Juric was doing ok but has been out injured for a decent spell now)

Bert must be taking Ruka for pace. But he's only half the striker McClaren is. Ruka is not going to bang in goals at the WC. Was average for WSW while McClaren was a golden boot who then resurrected a shitty move into an impressive season on loan.

We're going to have to hope Juric gets fit and use him to bring players into the game like Rogic and Mooy who actually know how to score.

Or sure, we can rely on Tim to do it all in 12 minutes off the bench. Desperately want to be excited abut the WC, but i just don't think we have the attacking quality.

Last edited:

scottmac

Suspended
McClaren is basically Scott McDonald to this NT. He's not the type of striker we must have no matter how many goals he scores in Scotland. I'm glad he's not going cause he'll do nothing against the defences we're to come up against and is a waste of a spot.

Don't know why Langerak is a shock? He's had to go to Japan to be a 1 at his club. He's just never really been elite.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb