• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Road to Bejing - Olyroos 2008

kevrenor

Nigeria 2 Australia 0

NIGERIAS Olympic ambitions were given a huge morale boost after a well-deserved 2-0 win over Australia en route to lifting the inaugural Intercontinental Cup at the KL Stadium on Sunday.

A goal in each half from Bernard Okorowanta and Emmanuel Sarki earned the Dream Team IV the title at the expense of the Olyroos who were clearly second best on the night.

Just eight minutes into the game, the lively Okorowanta beat Australian keeper Tando Valphi after a well-worked three-man move.

Finding himself at the edge of box, Okorowanta slid the ball onto Okoro Osadebamwen.

With the Aussie defence expecting Osadebamwen to keep possession, he back-heeled the ball towards John Owoeri who acted as a decoy, letting the ball back to Okorowanta who finished with aplomb.

With Eric Ambrose Efe keeping Australias hat-trick hero against Eire, Matt Simon, on a tight leash, Nigeria dictated the tempo, combining their physical strength with typical African dash.

The moves originating mostly from Charltons Danny Uchechi, Owoeri, Okorowanta, Osadebamwen and Emmanuel Sarki made the final a spectacle, especially for the sizeable Nigerian crowd.

But the Nigerians had to wait until the 86th minute before adding a second when Sarkis free-kick from the left flank found the net with the Aussie defence caught napping.

Nigeria coach Samson Siasia was elated on lifting the title. "We studied Australias semi-final game against Eire and we knew they relied on the physical presence of their No 9 (Simon) as their weapon. The Irish made the mistake of giving him too much space, so I put Ambrose Efe to keep a close watch on him.

It was a difficult match but my boys played the right game, we managed to contain Australia, a team that is tactically very sound. Overall Im happy to have taken part in this competition, said the former Nantes forward.

A disappointed Olyroos boss Graham Arnold attributed the defeat to the two mistakes which led to the two goals.

We fell at the final hurdle but Im proud of the boys. Although this is not an excuse, the team missed the four players who reported for senior duty last week.

My players had to battle fatigue, having had to play five matches in nine days but it was a great effort by the team. There were 16 players available for selection and it was difficult under the conditions.

However Im happy with the performance of a few. Before this tournament, I thought at least 10 names were automatic for the Olympics but now it has been reduced to five. I will have a selection headache ahead of the Beijing Games, said the former striker.

The trophy was presented to Nigeria skipper Ambruse Vanzekin by FA of Malaysia general secretary, Lt Jen (R) Datuk Azzuddin Ahmad. The runners-up medal was given away to the Olyroos by Octagon Asia managing director, Ivan Brixi.

midfielder

Squad announced

Some of the players named may be selected in the Qantas Socceroos squad for the match against China. If so, they will train with the senior team whilst we are on the Central Coast and we'll assess their situation on Sunday evening as to whether they will join us in Darwin the following week."................

http://sportal.com.au/football-news-display/olyroos-prepare-in-darwin-camp-50386

QANTAS UNDER 23s SQUAD LIST

Nigel Boogaard (Central Coast Mariners), Mark Bridge (Sydney FC), Leigh Broxham (Melbourne Victory), Nathan Burns (Adelaide United), Billy Celeski (Melbourne Victory), Robert Cornthwaite (Adelaide United), Adam D'Apuzzo (Newcastle Jets), Bruce Djite (Genlerbirligi, Turkey), Aaron Downes (Chesterfield, England), Tarek Elrich (Newcastle Jets), Troy Hearfield (Newcastle Jets), Jason Hoffman (Newcastle Jets), James Holland (Newcastle Jets), Neil Kilkenny (Leeds United), Mitchell Langerak (Melbourne Victory), Adrian Leijer (Fulham, England), Trent McClenahan (Hereford United, England), Mark Milligan (uncontracted), Stuart Musalik (Sydney FC), Chris O'Connor (Bray Wanderers, Ireland), Justin Pasfield (Wollongong Wolves), Nikita Rukavytsya (Perth Glory), Kristian Sarkies (Adelaide United), Matt Simon (Central Coast Mariners), Nikolai Topor-Stanley (Perth Glory), James Troisi (Uncontracted), Tando Velaphi (Perth Glory), Dario Vidosic (Nuremburg, Germany), Nick Ward (Melbourne Victory), David Williams (Brndby IF, Denmark), Matthew Spiranovic (Nuremburg, Germany), Ruben Zadkovich (Derby County, England) and Michael Zullo (Queensland Roar).

As an aside who is Justin Pasfield (Wollongong Wolves)

Bex

From http://theherald.yourguide.com.au/news/local/sport/soccer/elrich-racing-clock-to-be-fit-for-olympics/789504.aspx

[quote author=The Herald]
Elrich racing clock to be fit for Olympics
BY JAMES GARDINER
13/06/2008 10:00:00 PM
NEWCASTLE Jets defender Tarek Elrich will undergo intensive physiotherapy in an attempt to keep his Olympic dream alive.

Elrich strained ligaments and jarred a bone in his heel when he went over on his right ankle at Jets training four days ago.

The Olyroos assemble at the Central Coast on Tuesday for the first stage of their final training camp.

Elrich will be joined by fellow Jets Adam D'Apuzzo and Jason Hoffman in camp.

From the Central Coast, the squad head to Darwin the following Monday for a further 10 days. The 18-man squad for Beijing will be named on July 2.

Three places will be taken by over-age players and two by goalkeepers.

One of the over-age players is likely to be a keeper, but competition for places is still fierce.

"I have been in touch with the Olyroos medical team and they still want me to come into camp so they can assess it and give me treatment," Elrich said.

"When it first happened I thought I was gone.

"We were playing a half-pitch game and I whipped a cross in. The grass was quite soggy and when I went to take the next step crunch, I was over.

"The original prognosis was four to six weeks, but now they are confident I will be able to jog on it next week.

"In China, with the high altitude and humidity, [Olyroos coach] Graham Arnold wants the fittest players available. If I was to miss four weeks with my ankle, my fitness would drop significantly."

Elrich has experienced an amazing 12 months in which he has gone from a fringe player to one of the most promising right-back prospects in the country.

At the Olyroos level, he has been in a duel with Derby County utility and former Jets target Ruben Zadkovich for the starting place at right back.

Elrich appeared to have jumped ahead of Zadkovich at the Inter Continental Cup in Malaysia last month.

"I had a strained quad and didn't play the first three games in Malaysia," Elrich said. "Once I got that right, I started in the final-round game.

"Zadkovich was to have started in front of me in the semi against Ireland [which the Olyroos won 3-1], but he got sick and I got the call-up. Arnie was happy with the job I did, particularly given the short notice, and started me in the final [which they lost 2-0 to Nigeria]."

Meanwhile, recent signing Shaun Ontong faces at least a month on the sideline after scans revealed he has a hairline fracture in his ankle.
[/quote]

marinermick

a fair few of the olyroos were living it up at the beergarden last night as they had today and last night off

had a long chat to hoffman - nice bloke and was interested in the details of the trial game

milligan and hearfield were trying to pick up some old slappers (must have been in their forties easily)

and milligan smokes like nothing else

W

Wilson

Matt Simon will today be named as one of the 4 stand by players to go to Beijing...So bring on an injury

Deej

Wilson said:
Matt Simon will today be named as one of the 4 stand by players to go to Beijing...So bring on an injury

SFC forum is also suggesting Djite has been dropped......LOL.....you're just a shit Emile Heskey!

I've heard a couple of rumours regarding who is in and out, interesting to see what happens.

Deej

The three over age players are Carney, North and Thompson

And the 15 Under 23s are Bridge, Celeski, Federici, Kilkenny, Leijer, McLenahan, Milligan, Musialik, Rukyvytysa, Sarkies, Spiranovich, Topor-Stanley, Troisi, Velaphi, Zadkovich.

Deej

A few surprises there.......Rukyvytysa? Archie Thompson? Jade North?

Where is that bogan James Holland LOL, eat shit scummer

W

Wilson

Is it just disagree with Wilson day serious14....I want Matty to play so yes someone get injured so he can play!!!And after he scores a late consolation goal against Argentina in a 5-1 loss he will Sign for Galatasary and join Harry

serious14

Deej said:

And the 15 Under 23s are Bridge, Celeski, Federici, Kilkenny, Leijer, McLenahan, Milligan, Musialik, Rukyvytysa, Sarkies, Spiranovich, Topor-Stanley, Troisi, Velaphi, Zadkovich.

Graham Arnold - destroying Australian Football since far-too-long-for-my-liking.

That squad is going to be raped.  Plain and simple.  JADE NORTH FFS?!?  WHY?!?  HE IS SHIT!!!!  Ruben??  Thompson??    :naughty: :fireup:

Wilson - no, you just made 2 stupid comments that I disagree with.  I don't wish injury on anyone involved with any of our national teams just so a Mariner can play.  Except James Holland, he's a c*nt.  (always an exception to every rule)

Deej

Gotta feel for a couple of the guys who helped the Olyroos get there in the first place, i.e. Djite, Burns, Williams, Ward etc.........

W

Wilson

Got agree with you serious
serious14 said:
Deej said:

Graham Arnold - destroying Australian Football since far-too-long-for-my-liking.

That squad is going to be raped.  Plain and simple.  JADE NORTH FFS?!?   WHY?!?   HE IS SHIT!!!!  Ruben??  Thompson??     :naughty: :fireup:

Wilson - no, you just made 2 stupid comments that I disagree with.  I don't wish injury on anyone involved with any of our national teams just so a Mariner can play.  Except James Holland, he's a c*nt.  (always an exception to every rule)

W

Wilson

What will Messi do with this team..Arnold is stuck in a time warp

bulldogmariner

why would you take Jade North as an overage player when we have 3 centre backs already in the squad. Are we just going to sit back and defend.
We wont score enough goals with Archie and Nikita and we have no other options in the squad of 18 with most players defensive minded.

Arnold has no idea!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred