• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Road to Bejing - Olyroos 2008

scottmac

Suspended
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/76327,olyroos-earn-sweet-chile-victory.aspx

"Simon then capped a terrific game by setting up the winner for Zadkovich on the hour mark, beating three defenders and crossing a great ball into the former Sydney FC midfielder who headed home."

Would love to have seen this game. A goal, hit the crossbar and set up the winner.

kevrenor

keensy said:
marinermick said:
keensy said:
I was being a smartass, i know he scored it

we were just posting match reports

it was not in response to your post
"Nope!" - kevrenor
apology accepted
I don't apologise ... I like being a smartarse!

Now that goal must do something to help Matty's psyche surely! Well done too to Boogs in both games so far.

Paolo

kevrenor said:
keensy said:
marinermick said:
keensy said:

"Nope!" - kevrenor
apology accepted

Now that goal must do something to help Matty's psyche surely! Well done too to Boogs in both games so far.
My comment was to marinermick.

marinermick

keensy said:
kevrenor said:
keensy said:
marinermick said:
keensy said:

"Nope!" - kevrenor
apology accepted

My comment was to marinermick.

i have nothing to apologise for either

kevrenor

Olyroos clean sweep, as Matt Simon scores again!

Australia and Chile through to semis.

THE Olyroos thumped Togo 4-0 to reach the semi-finals of the Intercontinental Cup in Malaysia as their opponents dropped like flies in a shambolic end to the game.
Having already had a player dismissed, Togo had another of their team red carded with with 15 minutes remaining. Subsequently another three players went off injured which meant the referee had to abandon the match.

But that should not diminish from what was a very good performance by the Australian team, which dominated throughout and went onto finish Group B on nine points, three ahead of Chile, who beat Croatia in the other group match 1-0, to decide second place.

Jason Hoffman got Australia off to the perfect start with a goal after just seven minutes and looked in total control when Aaron Downes made it 2-0 just before the break. Australia piled on the pressure and added further goals from Michael Zullo and Matt Simon to make it 4-0.

Australias opponent in the semi finals on Friday will not be known until tomorrow, as Nigeria and Iraq will play their postponed game from the opening round. Group A is very tight, with Nigeria just needing a draw to qualify in top spot, while an Iraq win would leave all four teams on 4 points and the semi finalists decided by goal difference. At this stage that looks like Ireland, unless Iraq win by more than two goals over Nigeria.

It was the perfect start by Australia, when a long throw by returning captain Mark Milligan into penalty box, was headed by Simon onto crossbar and Hoffman was quickest to react and he headed home for his first goal for Australia.

The match evened out a little after that, although Australia carved out a few more chances and they finally put some breathing space between them just three minutes before the break. A corner by Dario Vidosic saw Chesterfield defender Downes make it 2-0.

Any chance of a Togo comeback was laid to rest after 60 minutes when they were reduced to ten men and five minutes later Queensland Roars Zullo received a neat flick on from Simon; went past two defenders and he finished neatly past the Togo keeper.

Simon continued his impressive form, with his second goal of the tournament, five minutes later when he impressively cut in from wide out and then squeezed his well hit shot inside the near post.

But the match then turned farcical when a second Togo player was sent off and then over the next eight minutes they proceeded to take more players off injured, leaving the referee with little choice but to stop the game early.

Coach Graham Arnold was quick to praise the team for another good performance against an unpredictable style of play presented by the Africans.

This was our third match in a row where we faced a different style of play and again we adapted well and came away a good win, he said.

This is exactly the preparation we need and the players are coping well with the conditions and I am looking forward to the semi finals.

Chile beat Croatia 1-0

Kareem

wow!!! is there any footage of Super Simon- he sets up 2 (coutin header to crossbar as one, lol) and scores another!!!

kevrenor

From the Football Association of Malaysia web site:

"AUSTRALIA v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND (KL Std, 21:00)

Don Givens' Irish side finished second in Group A, level on points with hosts Malaysia, but entered the last four with a superior goal difference.

In contrast the Olyroos, already used to the conditions in Asia, stormed to the last four earning maximum points in Group B. In a match where physical strength is a prerequisite, it will be a close contest. Despite having four of their players back in Australia for senior duty, the Olyroos seem to have a slight edge.

Players to watch: James Ryan, Michael Collins (Ireland), Mark Milligan, Matt Simon (Australia)

Graham Arnold (Australia coach)

Im happy with the attitude shown by my boys. Even without the four -

James Troisi, Mark Bridge, Nikolai Topor Stanley and James Holland who have reported for duty with the senior side who play Ghana on Friday, the remaining ones will perform effectively.

Don Givens (Republic of Ireland coach)

Im hoping for it to be a good match. It has been difficult for us in coping with the heat and humidity but the boys have risen to the occasion before.

Omni

Australa 3 Ireland 1

Matty Simon 7', 13', 75'

Matt Simons last push for a place in the Olyroos squad for the 2008 Olympic Games continued to gain momentum, with a superb hat-trick overnight against Ireland in the semi final of the Intercontinental Cup.

Simon scored all three goals in the 3-1 win that has put Australia into the final against Nigeria, who defeated Chile 2-1 in the other semi final. Of the nations at the Intercontinental Cup, Australia and Nigeria are the only two going to the Olympics, so in many respects its a fitting and worthy finale to the inaugural tournament.

The Central Coast Mariners striker has been very much a peripheral figure in the squad up till now, but his five goals in the four games at the Cup have certainly helped his cause to grab one of the few places open to outfield players.

It was a terrific start by Australia and Simon, with two goals in the first 13 minutes, which always had them in control of the match.

The first came after just seven minutes when Jason Hoffman made a run down the right and he ball to the far post was perfect for Simon, who headed home.

Six minutes later, Spase Dilevski, back after missing the final group match because of suspension, delivered a quality ball in behind the Irish defence and Simon headed home again.

Irelands attack was given few chances to score by the steady Australian defence, but in the 39th minute they almost pulled a goal back with a great strike that hit the top of the crossbar.

Australia made sure of victory with 15 minutes remaining, when Stuart Musialik played a long ball to the edge of the area for Dario Vidosic. The former Queensland Roar striker worked his way in the penalty area and then cutback a superb pass to Simon who slid the ball home for his hat-trick.

Ireland managed to pull a goal back with five minutes to go, Alan Judges shot from 25 metres out, giving Aussie keeper Tando Velaphi no chance, as it sailed into the top corner.

Interestingly, Ireland featured a young Aussie kid in their team Aston Villas Shane Lowry.

The final will be held on Sunday night in Kuala Lumpur with kick-off at 8.45pm (10.45pm AEST).

(from www.footballaustralia.com)

no surprises about the final then, the only two olympic teams in the final on Sunday.

some, admittedly rather average, live coverage at www.sportsmalaysia.net

Bear

He will still come back here, hardly get a run, but will be expected to score when he comes on in the last 10-15, which wont happen. I feel for the guy.

Omni

SBS don't actually give a damn about Australian Football swarey.

It'd be good if even Fox Sports News or Eurosport would do a highlights package, but not going to happen, a new tournament for U23s, I don't think it'd be successful in a non-Olympic year.

As for Matty S, he seems to do fine everytime he pulls an Australia jersey - what's he on now? 6 goals in 6/7 games?

marinersman

Surely Matty will be going to the Olympics now?

Classic case of a player taking his chances.

Love or hate Arnie, he's decision to take Matty to to Malaysia is a masterstroke.

Hopefully this will give Matty the confidence to do it for us.

Arabmariner

Greenpoleffc said:
Well done Matty S.

Maybe its just a confidence thing ???
Well if it is a confidence thing he should be full of it now!

Matty Simon scores the winner v Scum opening round V4!!! :vhappy:

Because he came back from the Olympics full of confidence! :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred