• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Referees: The good, the bad, the ugly!

Kareem

I thought I would start a topic...dunno which forum this should be in??? help mods
its CCF + HAL?
Also please mod's dont delete this topic. We went offtopic in Final Series thread so this is better place for calm discussion.
Keep an eye on the topic by all means but give it a chance pls!

Two things to kick it off!

1) Linesmans at tonights match (Marienrs vs MV)- not impressed

2) I was reading an NRL newspaer article and it spoke about Video ref's and how it shouldnt be used on everything.
It went on to say how unfair it was though that if official's didnt have benefit of video then hwo unfair is it that TV shows replays- thus casting doubt on ref's decision.
Anyway, i feel part of the same problem is for football. The viewer at home gets to see bad decisions by replays. I agree that its unfair on ref's.
I dunno
wat does every1 else think?

Kareem

My bad
1) My apologies.
Linesman looks to have gotten 2nd goal 100% right!
I booed him for nothing!

soundsdifferent

im just sick of being disappointed again because the ref does something wrong in the case of last night, injurey time was ment for 4 mins they scored late in the 95th min im so over it its like the aleague has something agaist the mariners is it cause we cant pull a massive crowed lately?
its just stupid  :redcard:

Kareem

soundsdifferent said:
im just sick of being disappointed again because the ref does something wrong in the case of last night, injurey time was ment for 4 mins they scored late in the 95th min im so over it its like the aleague has something agaist the mariners is it cause we cant pull a massive crowed lately?
its just stupid  :redcard:
Look at the clip. It was 93:54. Ref did it right! 6 seconds to go. We couldnt hold on for 6 secs.
Our fault

Greenpoleffc said:
I am happy to be corrected but I think the added time is a guide and not locked in to the 2nd.
+1
regardless even if it was 95th min (which it wasnt, it was the 94th) ref can add time during stoppage time I am pretty sure. It is only to be used as a guide

Stavros

Does this Help?  ;D

From TWG:

Australia's top referee Mark Shield has dropped a bombshell by announcing his retirement.

His last game could be in Round 8 of the A-League.

Shield, 35, said family and business commitments were the main reasons behind his shock resignation.

"The constant travel was getting a bit too much," Shield said.

"We've got two young kids who need more attention and I'd like to concentrate more on my communications and accommodation businesses.

"At the moment I am away for about 25 weekends a season.

"Also the other day I worked it out that out of the last 10 years I must have been away for at least four years and that simply is not on."

Shield, who won't be in action this weekend, has also refereed his last international game, having controlled the 2010 World Cup qualifier between Saudi Arabia and Iran in Riyadh on September 6.

Queenslander Shield was not only Australia's undisputed top referee but one of Asia's most respected.

He has controlled matches in the 2002 and 2006 World Cups and countless World Cup qualifiers.

He also was in charge of the second leg of the 2006 AFC Champions League final and last year he controlled the Asian Cup final between Iraq and Saudi Arabia in Indonesia and later was named the continent's top referee.

"That final match in front of a big crowd in Jakarta was the highlight of my career, without doubt," Shield said.

"I consider it my biggest achievement and it will live long in my memory."

Shield also controlled the A-League's three championship matches so far, including the last 'Vukovic Grand Final'  which he regards as the low point of his highly successful career.

"The way it was was blown up by the media was very disappointing," he said.

Shield's resignation has left Football Federation Australia with a gaping hole but the FFA did not stand in his way.

"Mark has been our top referee for the last decade," FFA head of public affairs Bonita Mersiades said.

"He has set high standards and we appreciate all the work he has done.

"We are sorry to see him go but we also realise that family comes first.

"We wish him all the best of luck in whatever he does next but also hope that he stays in touch with the game."

Omni

Definitely onside after watching the replay - lazy work from Alex Wilkinson so it was actually a BRILLIANT decision from the AR and yes Stoppage time is only a guide

Kareem

Omni said:
Definitely onside after watching the replay - lazy work from Alex Wilkinson so it was actually a BRILLIANT decision from the AR and yes Stoppage time is only a guide
yer
pretty brave as well by AR not to be swayed. Against the crowd!

In my defence (of my booing) I trusted our captain over the AR, i ddint think Wilko was silly enough to call offside for something like that!

Oh well AR on Marinators end was still pretty shocking (I was in line with that one)

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Don't interpret this as me sticking my nose in yet another referee discussion - but what's the point in this thread?  If you want to discuss the pros and cons of video refereeing, let's have a thread for that.  If you want to discuss refereeing decisions in a particular HAL match, then there's CCM or HAL Week x threads for that.  What's the point in this?

Lawrie should've torn our defence a new one after that goal.  Pathetic. 

I've lost count of the number of times when a player has been well onside when the ball was played, but nobody's seen him until they've turned around to find him a few yards through the line, and stood there with their arms in the air instead of chasing him down.  I've seen so many matches get decided in this foolishness.  Bloody chase them down anyway - even offsides that look incredibly blatant may not be.  Heck, even if it IS offside, you don't know that the AR saw it - for all the defence knows, a bird may have just shat in the AR's eye.  Amateurish - but they should never have gotten that much space anyway. 

Guns of Melbourne

Capn Gus Bloodbeard said:
Don't interpret this as me sticking my nose in yet another referee discussion - but what's the point in this thread?  If you want to discuss the pros and cons of video refereeing, let's have a thread for that.  If you want to discuss refereeing decisions in a particular HAL match, then there's CCM or HAL Week x threads for that.  What's the point in this?

I've lost count of the number of times when a player has been well onside when the ball was played, but nobody's seen him until they've turned around to find him a few yards through the line, and stood there with their arms in the air instead of chasing him down.  I've seen so many matches get decided in this foolishness.  Bloody chase them down anyway - even offsides that look incredibly blatant may not be.  Heck, even if it IS offside, you don't know that the AR saw it - for all the defence knows, a bird may have just shat in the AR's eye.  Amateurish - but they should never have gotten that much space anyway. 

It's the age old coaching tip - Play to the whistle and nothing else.

Kareem

Blame our defence in Mariners vs Melbroune Round 5 thread ;)
thats wat I have been doing (particularly el capitano!)

point of thread- so we dont go off topic in threads like Final Series. We were talkin 4 pages about ref's i think. 1 to do with finals- and 3 in general. Those 3= this thread!

Ref for Melb game wasnt perfect and maybe had a bit of a bad 1st half, but I though his 2nd half was almost flawless (maybe thats coz he sent of one of their players :p).

Guns of Melbourne

Kareem said:

but I though his 2nd half was almost flawless (maybe thats coz he sent of one of their players :p).

I try very hard not to be nasty and call people idiots, but you make it very VERY difficult with posts like that.

Kareem

Guns of Melbourne said:
It's the age old coaching tip - Play to the whistle and nothing else.
True. Some of those offsides being let go in 1st half were shocking (including 1st goal) but you have to play on and stop whingeing.
Then we whinge for the 2nd goal which was easily onside (on video replay, not to the naked eye :p). Brebner stuffed it up by falling over but we were still caught on the 'missed offside'
and Brebner did well to get ball and rest is history!

Kareem

Guns of Melbourne said:
Kareem said:

but I though his 2nd half was almost flawless (maybe thats coz he sent of one of their players :p).

I try very hard not to be nasty and call people idiots, but you make it very VERY difficult with posts like that.
Guns of Melbourne said:
Linesmans sucked 2nd half??? Thats even wat I got from MV forums!
The only critiscism from ref was Red card- which I thought was a bit harsh but like some1 else sed ref cant ignore it.
I have no doubt Sasho is a stirrer (more polite than wat u guys have been saying :p) and he ticked of Theo but u gotta blame Theo for stupidity.
But regardless- ref's cant take into consideration wat caused it- easy decision for ref as he saw it.
You gotta concentrate Theo!
What other decisions did u feel ref was bad in 2nd half?

MrCelery

Stavros said:
From TWG:

Australia's top referee Mark Shield has dropped a bombshell by announcing his retirement.

His last game could be in Round 8 of the A-League.

Shield, 35, said family and business commitments were the main reasons behind his shock resignation.

Bullshite. What's the bet that his decision to retire after Round 8 is because he was allocated the Round 9 match - Mariners v Jets at Bluetongue!

FFC Mariner

Guns of Melbourne said:
Kareem said:

you are more than welcome to make an exception for Kareem - we wont mind,honest

tikky

Time for topic revival after that weekend of interesting refereeing.

Quick question btw to one of the ref's on here.
Junior player (u10-u12s- lower grades) picks up ball just outside box. Red card offence?
How strict are you on the low grades?
In my experience, only A's are strict in my view compared to rest, or is it meant to be 16A's same as 10G's?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred