• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Rd 10 South Gosford FC V Central Coast Mariners

MagpieMariner

I liked the fact we nullified ALF. He gets an easy trio last week, this week he hardly has a sniff and gets subbed fairly early.
I also liked Jair, he seems to know what's expected of a striker. Once the guys behind him start to gel with him, I reckon he'll put a few away. Let's face it, no-one we've had recently would've even got close to that cross he headed out.

turbo

Overall that went better than most of us would have expected. The goal was a huge screw up and cost us a point, of the 4 only Rowles was switched on and got caught in no mans land outnumbered.
Aside from that I’m ok with most of what we saw, if we keep bringing that against other teams we won’t need to worry about the spoon.
The big exception is Clisbys crossing, he needs to get those on target as we wasted maybe 5 or more chances being hopelessly over hit.

turbo

Also I’ve said I wanted us to be better at playing conservatively at times and tonight we were able to do that and not throw away possession at the first chance so that was good to see. There’s no reason we can’t play that game rather than camping in our goal box.

Forum Phoenix

I liked the way Staj had the team set up.
3 at the back with a packed midfield worked well and SFC really had no answer. The defence was better than parking the bus and we really should have made more of this packed midfield.
Agree with Al. Clisby not alone in blame for their goal.
Both wingbacks (Clisby and SS) played high and neither were really out there to defend.
Kim was solid at the back and played a great captain's game.
Ziggy had his best game yet and was awesome getting forward late to make things happen.
Still a lot of work needed on confidence and understanding in attack. It will come.
I thought DDS worked his butt off. Good to see the commitment.
Jair showed he has more to offer us than Simon or Muz. I predict he will turn FFC into a believer before the season is over.

The positives I take away.
Great to have coach who is prepared to change things around depending on opponents.
I suspect we may have a striker.
SFC were not off their game, we nullified their attack.
We have found a captain.

Still a fair way to go but we are going forward.

People either need to watch the Clisby goal again or I do, what I saw was a fast free kick that caught everyone somewhat by surprise, but Grant began his run 3 metre's right in front of Clisby and at this level he had more than enough time to turn and go with him, but he was just too slow to respond - a simple quick response and that cross and goal never happens.

The CB's who were in a reasonable line and whose men they had all managed to keep goal side of till then, then had to suddenly try and run back towards goal, then the runs came, line was chaos, and sure they lost their men... but at that point very hard. Clisby did it the other week to, made our whole defence look bad because he repeatedly allows players in behind and forces our CB's onto the back foot and scrambling. Should be punted based on those crosses alone. Abysmal. Looked like he was being paid to throw the game. Virtually impossible for Hatch to do worse.

Rowles, Kim, Duric and even once from memory Silvera had to cover for Clisby. Listen to your coach and get high please, but that's no excuse not to get back anywhere near as often as he fails to. Clearly out of his depth playing high as he just doesn't read things well enough. On top of that he does Hoole level closing down, all optics and zero effectiveness. At least 3 times he could have actually tackled his man if he had more intent.

I don't like riding players. But he's got to go.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

While Sydney don't press, Kim is exactly what we need at the back playing out and made a huge difference. Great game.

Jair will need some time but he's going to score goals.

Milan is our best player. Stens in doing a good job too. GG has great moments but you can see he has plenty of silly moments still in his game.

We fail to find Silvera when he drifts wide and gets in decent space, it's frustrating. I suspect Silvera would be better if playing central. But regardless he needs to get the ball consistently and much quicker. Ruiz-Diaz looks like he'll be able to replace an injured Silvera.

Are we hoping Oar is deployed as left wingback next game and Clisby dropped??

Ancient Mariner

People either need to watch the Clisby goal again or I do, what I saw as a fast free kick that caught everyone somewhat by surprise, but Grant began his run 3 metre's right in front of Clisby and at at this level he had more than enough time to turn and go with him, but he was just too slow to respond - a simple quick response and that cross and goal never happens.

The CB's who were in a reasonable line and whose men they had all managed to keep goal side of till then, then had to suddenly try and run back towards goal and then the runs came, line was chaos, and sure they lost their men... but at that point very hard. Clisby did it the other week to, made our whole defence look bad because he repeatedly allows players in behind and forces on to our CB's the back foot and scrambling. Should be punted based on those crosses alone. Abysmal. Looked like he was being paid to throw the game. Virtually impossible for Hatch to do worse.

Rowles, Kim, Duric and even once from memory Silvera had to cover for Clisby. Listen to your coach and get high please, but that's no excuse not to get back anywhere near as often as he fails to. Clearly out of his depth playing high as he just doesn't read things well enough. On top of that he does Hoole level closing down, all optics and zero effectiveness. At least 3 times he could have actually tackled his man if he had more intent.

I think you are probably right. I need to watch it again.
I think part of the tactics was for the DMs to cover for the wingbacks if they got caught upfield. It appeared to me that although we were playing with wingbacks the only time we played with a back 5 was when SFC had the ball in our final third. It looked like Clisby and SS were playing high even in defence for a lot of the game.
Defensively it appeared to work well. However, in attack it broke down. Probably, asking too much to expect fast, one touch, go forward attack with a new setup.

Having said that Clisby has looked to me like he does not have the understanding/ability to play the role Staj wants. His anticipation is poor, I think he ball watches too much, recovers slowly, and yesterday, when he did get in a good attacking position he blew the crosses.
Even though many here think attack is his weakness, Ziggy, towards the end of the game, playing from centre half showed how it should be done.

I will try to watch the and get a better understanding. However tv does not show what is going on off the ball. Need to be there.

Ziggy, Kim and Duric showed their experience.

Ziggy MOM for me.

turbo

Are we hoping Oar is deployed as left wingback next game and Clisby dropped??

it’s a dilemma isn’t it? How do we fit Oar back in to the squad after that effort if everyone stays fit? That’s the most obvious way I think as long as Staj thinks he’s up to the defensive duties. He’ll still play high like Clisby has been but it’ll be a problem if we keep pushing the long ball for him as we used to, if we play it to him like we did last night not so bad.

As for the goal all 4 defenders (I’ll give SS a pass here) got caught out and Rowles was the only one that responded quickly enough and that left him the unenviable decision of going for the ball or trying to cover his man and others in the middle. Arguably he made the wrong call but it’s a split second one with the odds against him.
From what I remember as I haven’t seen a replay this morning on Facebook Clisby had his back to Grant and wasn’t paying attention to his man. Quick kick or not he was setting himself up for trouble.

turbo

Even though many here think attack is his weakness, Ziggy, towards the end of the game, playing from centre half showed how it should be done.

The issue is more that Ziggy even when given the chances earlier in the season he hasn’t done that very much. That effort was good but was straight will power and drive to try to get the draw. Can’t rely on him doing that for 90 minutes.

Michael

I like that staj has a tactic for each opposition and it worked last night in stopping Sydney for the most part, but when it became obvious that Sydney were off abit we didn’t take advantage and in the end we created enough to snag a win. GG’s header was perfect, redmayne was heroic in that moment.
Jair was quite good for a debut. He showed better movement, more intelligence and better touch than muzz and simo all season.
Clisbys one major error cost us the game because Sydney didn’t create anything clear cut after that. Yeah you can say the other boys were at fault too and I agree to a point. Watching the replay Clisby actually sees the freekick being taken early and moves to press Grant when the pass will obviously be a through ball and then gives up. An absolute sin being caught out that badly as an out and out defender. Schoolboy stuff.
So I say give the school boy Hatch a crack. He’s shown he’s better on the ball than Clisby and quicker.

I thought everyone else was good for the most part. GG had a couple errors and Stens didn’t seem to be tackling like he usually would which peaked my interest.
Kim showed great leadership.
Dylan Ruiz-Diaz had a little impact off the bench which was a great watch. He looked quite sharp and eager. I hope he gets more minutes. I rate him.

Big Al

People either need to watch the Clisby goal again or I do, what I saw as a fast free kick that caught everyone somewhat by surprise, but Grant began his run 3 metre's right in front of Clisby and at at this level he had more than enough time to turn and go with him, but he was just too slow to respond - a simple quick response and that cross and goal never happens.

The CB's who were in a reasonable line and whose men they had all managed to keep goal side of till then, then had to suddenly try and run back towards goal and then the runs came, line was chaos, and sure they lost their men... but at that point very hard. Clisby did it the other week to, made our whole defence look bad because he repeatedly allows players in behind and forces on to our CB's the back foot and scrambling. Should be punted based on those crosses alone. Abysmal. Looked like he was being paid to throw the game. Virtually impossible for Hatch to do worse.

As AM says the TV didn’t show off the ball

Clisby is definitely at fault for the initial lapse no doubt. He is caught out by not quite understanding his role in the system Staj had planned. It happens especially early in a new formation. It did seem a weak quick free kick that we turned into an opportunity for them.

However recovery is a part of the defending and there just wasn’t any from ziggy and Kim. If Rowles can get to Grant those two should be getting back as well. Birra is hoping to cut iut the pass but Kosta is so far open and not to far forward where the pass is in danger of being cut off like Berisha the other week.

Then as Kosta taps in you see Ziggy and Kim running in way to late, that is a slow reaction and just as much at fault as Clisby imo. I’m saying they could of stopped it but had they been more alert the pass is harder to make and pressure may make Kosta muss etc. at least be there not running in after the goal and this was not a break from downfield

Wombat

I think you are probably right. I need to watch it again.
I think part of the tactics was for the DMs to cover for the wingbacks if they got caught upfield. It appeared to me that although we were playing with wingbacks the only time we played with a back 5 was when SFC had the ball in our final third. It looked like Clisby and SS were playing high even in defence for a lot of the game.
Defensively it appeared to work well. However, in attack it broke down. Probably, asking too much to expect fast, one touch, go forward attack with a new setup.

Having said that Clisby has looked to me like he does not have the understanding/ability to play the role Staj wants. His anticipation is poor, I think he ball watches too much, recovers slowly, and yesterday, when he did get in a good attacking position he blew the crosses.

I will try to watch the and get a better understanding. However tv does not show what is going on off the ball. Need to be there.

Ziggy, Kim and Duric showed their experience.

Ziggy MOM for me.

I couldn’t seperate Ziggy and Kim for my MOM. Both excellent.

Wombat

Good performance from the boys.
Jair had a good debut. Fills me with a lot more confidence than Matty or Muzz.
Ziggy and Kim were outstanding.
Duric had a good shift.
That goal was pitiful.
Well done to the peeps that travelled to the game.

marinermick

Good performance from the boys.
Jair had a good debut. Fills me with a lot more confidence than Matty or Muzz.
Ziggy and Kim were outstanding.
Duric had a good shift.
That goal was pitiful.
Well done to the peeps that travelled to the game.

I actually thought Djuric had his worst game in our colours. Some beautiful long ball interspersed with too many passes given away. Ditto with Rowles. For a guy who has a ninety percent passing completion rate that ten percent is a real howler and puts the defence under so much pressure.

Silvera needs a spell on the bench after the last couple of games, most probably for Oar.

Kim, Stensness and Gordon the standouts.

Now here is the question: Was Oar out because of a virus or because he has signed with Macarthur?

A virus is a very generic type of statement for his absence.

turbo

AC799A0D-F185-42E6-BC85-47171E1145C1.png 8E123FA6-A02A-459B-A607-767C98513E9E.png
People either need to watch the Clisby goal again or I do
The clip is in the my football app news story about the game. Only place I’ve seen it and I just watched it a few times. Clisby missed Grants run which was a big mistake but Ziggy and Kim were totally caught out, I don’t think they were aware Kosta was lurking behind them well offside. Rowles was with ALF but elected to go to the man with the ball id assume hoping that the others would be able to cover him.

Last edited:

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

The clip is in the my football app news story about the game. Only place I’ve seen it and I just watched it a few times. Clisby missed Grants run which was a big mistake but Ziggy and Kim were totally caught out, I don’t think they were aware Kosta was lurking behind them well offside. Rowles was with ALF but elected to go to the man with the ball id assume hoping that the others would be able to cover him.
Ziggy also gets caught out a hell of a lot. Ball watching has been a problem for our defence for years.

Ozhammer

For anyone who thinks the comments against our number three are over the top, watch the game back and see how much more effective defending SS does down his side of the pitch. And that’s from a kid who probably doesn’t have a defensive bone in his body.

Tevor

View attachment 1504 View attachment 1503
Totally right it was an entire defensive line howler, they were all to blame on a trade mark SFC move that should have been analysed through the week.

How is a professional footballer so bad at crosses, Clisby had some great chances in the last 10 minutes to put one on the mark. They were woeful.

Milan still unfit or not 100% I feel as it was a rusty performance. SS didn’t have a great game either and struggled a bit against King.

Frustrating game as happy with performance but we should have got something out of it.

Liked what I seen of Jair and he will only get better with match fitness.

I’m also suspicious of Oar’s virus, hope I’m wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami