• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R6: Mariners vs Phoenix at GIO Canberra

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
hey Phoenix...what heat?, i had to put a jacket on after half time...it was windy as hell

AuzDutchy

What I saw last night in particular, is Tavares trying to play as a 6, then an 8 and then a 10 all while Monty and Powell are lost in the midfield. Monty gets in possession too high up the field an lacks the creativity to make things happen in attack.

Sorting out who is playing what role in that midfield is the key to sorting out our attacking problems.

Mcging is not a CB and def not a starter, so many times last night he just ran alongside the attacker trying to jockey for position but never attempting a tackle, Wellingtons attack was allowed to just walk the ball into our box over and over again.

Big Al

hey Phoenix...what heat?, i had to put a jacket on after half time...it was windy as hell
Just looked it was only 25c at kickoff and 45klm winds. They showed the corner flag being almost blown over.

The sweet was just from running not the heat. Wind might have effected a few passes but just looked flat all day

BrisRecky

In the W league game, the Canberra shot taker took 3 attempts at a pelanty cause it kept blowing off the spot

Big Al

I think on current form Trent should start over Fab.
Powell has been ok and I don't think Rose would be any better in that position. I would be interested to know if Bingham could fill that role.
The back four is a massive worry.
roux will improve after he gets the bollocking he deserves.
Faty was ok but flawed.
Hopefully posco can come in for McGing.
If Galloway is injured McDonald should start over Neil.
Trent had better link up play when he came on but only went to him a handful of times. One he flew past the LB and never went back to him to do it again, but when there are some 50/50 balls to win he is another Fitzy and just doesn't have the nuts to get in there and get it. That is when his slender frame and age come into play, he's scared of making a good challenge. If Fab left a don't think we'd miss him to much but is still better than Trent, but Trent is the future.

Powell was making some runs that went unnoticed according to Ned but there was also some huge holes as he was to far forward at other times. I think we went to a flat 433 when Rose came on but I could be wrong. A couple of times Rose got caught to close to Taveras and got in his way but better to be to close than to far away as appears to happen with Powell.

Bingham could absolutely do it, I've said it before he was very affective against the nix at Knox. His size was to much for them and was more Mat Simon type holdup CF. he also would have given some height for crosses and corners.
I would have liked to see a 442 with Bingham in 2nd half and Paul may have wanted something similar but the Galloway injury took that away. I would have still liked him on instead of Trent but Trent has been good when coming on so easier in hindsight. Also Bingham is a hustler as well and might have brought some energy that was missing.

Also would like to try pain on the right for 10mins a half. He is a left footer (that goal last week was on his weaker foot, not bad hey) but doesn't get to shoot with his left foot as cuts back in and has to go with his right, would like to see him cut in like tommy oar did against us and see if he can unleash some left foot strikes. Also when does cross we don't go aerial for Roy. Crosses are hard and low for far side tape in. Roy can get in good position, but plan seems to be either low across goal or pull it back out and start again.

McGing was getting burned big time for speed. One piece Krishsna turned him and was past him by two paces within 5 steps. If they are quick you got to rough em up or keep them in front of you. Still need a new CB with pace and passing skill as Faty and McGing to slow although Faty can motor in a straight line chase but his turning circle is one of a Mac truck. Also all CB's injured are no better than McGing. Posco maybe just but not by much and is glass and is just as prone to being caught out of position as the rest of them.

Tevor

Had a decent weekend in the Capital with the family apart from the disappointing game. Agree with everyone that if that is what playing in Canberra is going to be like then it will be a financial disaster and of no benefit to the club at all.

Disappointing crowd so Canberreans didn't show up so sack Slavich and there is an initial saving, we also don't have to listen to the BS that finals will be played at Canberra. Sat high up in the stand and it appeared most of the locals were supporting the Nix therefore so much for the turn them into Mariners supporters. Must admit the team performance wouldn't have won any new fans.

Thought the game had no atmosphere and that is also a result of a neutral venue and really wished we played this match at our real home. Agree the pitch looked ordinary and what happened to the pitch that was apparently the best of the Asia Cup.

Not sure if I will make the financial / time commitment to attend another game in Canberra in future seasons. Unable to attend in Feb so that isn't a consideration.

Luv the two people standing behind the A-League 4 Canberra sign, "your dreaming!". No A League for you.

Our waiter at dinner after the game was excited the HAL was in Canberra and he was a Roar fan and he thanked us for coming to town to watch the game. That took some of the ill feeling away about Canberra but not sure it will change my mind.

Forum Phoenix

Ok got that wrong then. very hot here, and the wind doesn't translate on the screen (didn't see that corner flag shot). Thought it must be boiling - that just makes our performance that much worse unfortunately. No excuse fro the lack of movement then and disappointing they didn't physically compete better with Welly. Frustrating. But at least Okon is clear on what was missing and they have shown themselves capable of a much better performance - but even those need to get a lot better...

Last edited:

BrisRecky

Yeh, I reckon the N.Z embassy was on double time and a half, given how many kiwis were there and how loud they was

MagpieMariner

What got me the whole game was the lack of thought speed - it seemed the Kiwis knew what we were going to do before we did, leading to what seemed like so many poor passes. I recall late in the game Tavares had the ball and no-one in front of him was moving, not one.
I was also disappointed in no high pressing like we did in Adelaide. On the couple of times we pressed, their keeper shanked his kick straight over the side. We just didn't do it often enough.

sydmariner

Just looked it was only 25c at kickoff and 45klm winds. They showed the corner flag being almost blown over.

The sweet was just from running not the heat. Wind might have effected a few passes but just looked flat all day
i was with ya & the cannonn was REALLY loud plus the source bottles were taken down cos of the wind

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

I bet the expats turned out in force. They would have a genuine connection to one of the teams playing - unlike the rest of Canberra. So ironic

Tevor

I see we are now blaming the strained relationship between the Canberra locals and the FFA as the reason for the low attendance. How was this not obvious from the start.

Slavich reckons 10,000 plus next game, my family will not be there in Feb so that's 4 more they need to find. We only added 3,000 onto the true Canberra United fans and their crowd of 2,500 and this was probably what they normally get to a home game. How lucky were we it was a double header or the crowd could have been less than 3,000 IMO.

Not a good to start for the Capital Mariners.

MagpieMariner

I noticed a number of people leaving after the women's game, maybe a hundred or so in all that I noticed. Not many I know, but when you've paid for two games and you only bother watching one...

dibo

It was the highest crowd that we've attracted in Canberra.

Past crowds were 5,193 and 5,437.

In that context, 5,497 isn't terrible, but it's an indication that there isn't exactly a huge groundswell of support for the Mariners in Canberra. Hoping for 10k seems to be a little on the optimistic side...

It's helpful to look at the context of those games too. They were in 2009/10, when we went into total survival mode, cheaped out on the squad and sold some games to Canberra. People were angry then too.

Coming only a year after the FFA taking a Grand Final away from us, it was like the FFA and the club both saying to the people of the Central Coast that they weren't enough to support a side, so we need dalliances like Canberra.

I think that really started a fracturing of the faithful. The league's attendance average dipped around that time and so did ours, but ours never fully recovered. We've never averaged over 10k since, even in the years where Arnie had a great squad and we were going toe-to-toe at the top of the table each year.

Since then we've had the matches at NSO and the talk of a game at Brookvale too. I think the Central Coast has been wary of putting their hearts into the club again because they're worried that the club's looking over their shoulders.

If we need one thing over any other, it's to put the faith back in the Central Coast community, and back them to back the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred