• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R6: Mariners vs Phoenix at GIO Canberra

Tevor

Would be interesting to see what would happen if we manage to get controlling rights of BT and if the Club would persist with these home games at away venues. I would think it is likely we wouldn't as there would be greater financial reward in playing at home. From what I understand we are not receiving any financial support to send these games to Canberra so they are a financial risk. So far not a very successful venture IMO and probably not worth the long term financial commitment either. Just don't see the Canberra public swallowing having to support another team because you are never going to get one, the FFA in their decision to not consider Canberra is just isolating the area from supporting the A League to any acceptable level. Just because GWS has somewhat successfully won over the Canberreans does not mean the Mariners will do the same.

FFC Mariner

I think this game was paid for by the ACT government but CCM are holding the bag for the 2nd game.

In Australia there are usually very good reasons why football isn't represented at professional level. It isn't "untapped" it's been looked at and wiser heads have moved on.

dibo

I think Canberra has as much chance of working as the Central Coast does. I don't think there's any chance that the A-League will expand and won't have a Canberra team sooner or later.

MagpieMariner

According to Shaun we made $100K from this game, but the second is at our risk. With the crowd Saturday, we'll probably give the 100K back.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

you can't throw a team at a region that wants their own team and expect large support. Remember what happened with the NRL and Northern Eagles? Slightly different case, but it was never 'our' team

FFC Mariner

you can't throw a team at a region that wants their own team and expect large support. Remember what happened with the NRL and Northern Eagles? Slightly different case, but it was never 'our' team

I imagine that if we had been knocked back for a license and a token game was played at CCS, the football community here would largely ignore it.

We would want our own team or nothing, I expect they are no different.

Someone should ask Slavic.

Wombat

Same people that count the Giants crowds
According to Shaun we made $100K from this game, but the second is at our risk. With the crowd Saturday, we'll probably give the 100K back.

I think we got paid $100k but what about all the expenses. Who paid for the travel and accomodation and advertising?

Same as North Sydney, it was an utter failure.

Time for Mike to admit he has been a f**kwit and focus on developing our club and not destroying it.

Last edited:

VicMariner

Why take games out of Gosford anyway? It is the "Central Coast" Mariners...
I don't live on the CC and never have, but still identify with the club....(say what you will)
MC...just be true to who and what the club is. You can't be all things to all people.

Pirate Pete

Several years ago there was newspaper talk, a rumour or whatever about the Brumbies looking to move to the Central Coast as they said there wasn't enough corporate sponsorship in Canberra. Someone from the Mariners quickly pointed out there wasn't much on the Central Coast either.
I can't find a link about it, but found this about the Brumbies moving from Canberra. This would have been around the same time. We do get a mention in the article.
http://www.theroar.com.au/2007/04/12/why-the-brumbies-should-go-south/

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Why take games out of Gosford anyway? It is the "Central Coast" Mariners...
I don't live on the CC and never have, but still identify with the club....(say what you will)
MC...just be true to who and what the club is. You can't be all things to all people.
I though it was because the FFA told us we needed to increase our catchment area.

soccer mad

There's an article on the world game about our Canberra game ,with Charlesworth he said he will endeavour to experiment with N Sydney Canberra,ect .Otherwise coasties if we want all games to be at gosford ,put our hands in our own pockets thanks Mike .

Tevor

There's an article on the world game about our Canberra game ,with Charlesworth he said he will endeavour to experiment with N Sydney Canberra,ect .Otherwise coasties if we want all games to be at gosford ,put our hands in our own pockets thanks Mike .
Good thing about experiments is when they don't work they are shelved.

rbakersmith

Otherwise coasties if we want all games to be at gosford ,put our hands in our own pockets thanks Mike .

It may not be popular, but it's reality - short of owning or managing CCS, the only way to guarantee that every home game will be played at Gosford is for more people to turn up to games. Losing $50k a game simply isn't a sustainable business model.

Wombat

Catch 22.
Because he wont invest in the squad we have floundered. casual supporters wont turn up to watch rubbish and losing each week isn't sexy. The fans have been diehard but Mike can't expect people to dine at his Restaurant if the tables are filthy and the food is unpalatable.

soccer mad

There's no doubt the last couple of years have been hard to digest . Im all for expanding the brand and exploring Avenues but Canberra . The coasts 2012 population was around 317000 so I'm guesing where at about 330 ,000 population 10%of that catchment is 33,000 spectators , 5% would be 16,500 . How do we get 1 in every 20 coasties to become part of Mariners. Got of the train at woy woy the night Sydney played Victory and at 3coasty families were decked out in Sydney fc gear . chanting where top of the league which pissed me off to the core but it got me thinking . Train travel , late night they were a young family little children decked out in fc gear . Mariners are not tapping into our region hard enough .I saw 20 or so potential Mariner fans but there not .

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred