• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R3: CCM v Brisbane @ Gosford

Big Al

Starting to think that Walmsleys rumored lack of training intensity is hurting us in the last 20.

We were walking and Brisbane easily closed the game out
Also we have walked a lot in opening two games passing around at the back and not moving around the field a lot.

Today we had to chase the roar a lot and we went physically able to press for the win.
The roar got out of our press easily and had a lot of room in the middle of the park which meant we had to chase back.

Big Al

I'm surprised on McGing. Feel like I must have missed some moments. Saw him make consistent clearances aerially, cleaned up after mistakes of others at least twice. saved a one on one on another... and I didn't really see him do anything wrong. Must have been looking elsewhere - others all seem united in thinking he was poor.
Early first half to sitter passes to Neill went straight over sideline a good two metres away from him.
Also hit a swing back pass to Faty or roux that missed by a mile, just lucky no roar any where near.
I know because my comments were common it's the A league not park football.
3 horrible passes in a short time.

Otherwise he wasn't to bad but Galloway straight in for him IMO

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I've only seen the highlights but from those it looks like the same defensive problems - Roar getting waaaaay too much space and time down the wings, looks like they should have scored a couple more.

Big Al

Anyone else spewing they didn't cross to Vixen and the bucks party on the big screen after they showed the kids birthday party? Can't believe Bree mentioned Vixen!

As for the new setup did anyone go to the pre game and if so what was it like? I pussed out because of the weather.

As for game day presentation. Bree was way to loud her mic needed to be turned down and Rachel was the opposite she needed a touch of the Bree's as could hardly hear her and she was trying to talk over the music. Was a pretty bad start for her.

As for the music as they walked out what the hell was that. Ordinary!
Was like a kid learning the drums bag bag symbol
Then heard them play something similar in 2nd half just sounded very ordinary.
I love the band but they were crap last night and my wife loves the game of thrones song and was pissed not o hear it.

Also where was the we sing for fluoro yellow?

Big Al

I think Micky might be the one to drop out - not Jake
I know that's the consensus on here but I don't agree. McGing is worse than Neill and Golloway looked good in the middle of the park in his short stint and looks to have a better passing range that would be more beneficial at LCB

Only concern would be height. This is where McGing is valuable

sydmariner

Anyone else spewing they didn't cross to Vixen and the bucks party on the big screen after they showed the kids birthday party? Can't believe Bree mentioned Vixen!

As for the new setup did anyone go to the pre game and if so what was it like? I pussed out because of the weather.

As for game day presentation. Bree was way to loud her mic needed to be turned down and Rachel was the opposite she needed a touch of the Bree's as could hardly hear her and she was trying to talk over the music. Was a pretty bad start for her.

I love the band but they were crap last night and my wife loves the game of thrones song and was pissed not o hear it.

I agree the band was crap but there was no mega in bay 16 last night so I think they were just making it up as they went along.

pjennings

As soon as Posco is back we will probably line up with Galloway at LB, Posco and Faty in the midfield and Storm at RB. BTW - if Adelson hadn't done his ACL I doubt that Storm would have held RB.

Our fullbacks and wingers are what let us down last year. We need to get back to the combinations that we had with Josh and Ollie on one flank and Pedj and Wee-Mac on the other. At that time we had fullbacks that both defended and attacked and wingers that both attacked and defended.

Forum Phoenix

Early first half to sitter passes to Neill went straight over sideline a good two metres away from him.
Also hit a swing back pass to Faty or roux that missed by a mile, just lucky no roar any where near.
I know because my comments were common it's the A league not park football.
3 horrible passes in a short time.

Otherwise he wasn't to bad but Galloway straight in for him IMO

Oh yes I remember those - close to where we sit - honestly I held Neil responsible for those. only played in fromt of him not behind, and I thought it was closer to a metre than 2, but he was flat footed and looked like he either wasn't expecting or didn't want the ball - it genuinely looked odd to me. Maybe wrong, I thought they were close enough to where you want them and think most others would have brought them in. Anyway not trying to quibble.

Last edited:

ballantyne

I tell you if the playing staff had the attitude of the so-called supporters we'd be the worst team in the... oh wait.
Boo boys in Bay 16, "band was crap".
Do your f**king job people, as you expect of the players.

Forum Phoenix

I'm not into the cynicism for the band. I've enjoyed most of what they've done and think they have clearly added to the dwindled atmosphere these past couple of years. But the walk out song was a pretty dismal failure imo. WTF was the announcement about "sing along to it? Could have banged the back of our chairs in time 'maybe'... but what on earth were we supposed to sing.

It was barely audible and sounded very poor. I'm not one to feel embarrassed, but we need to do a lot better. And they say it was with supporter consultation? Come on guys, I don't know any members who were consulted, but I can only speak to about ten, so hands up on here? Smells like a handful of people so they can make a claim at legitimacy or due process, which is not good form imo.

Still say Rowdy's idea of "Give us a home..." is the best idea to date... (and even had a fella whip up a quick proof of concept version). But anything would be better than something completely unintelligible like we had last night. And finally, NO BAND on the field unless they have proper uniforms. A cheapo Marines shirt does not cut it. Home grown, peoples club, grass roots etc we are... but at present they STILL look ridiculously amateur.

Last edited:

Wombat

I just got back from Qld and haven't seen a minute of the game. Some great analysis on here but also some very conflicting opinions.
Hey Pat Jennings......any chance you could give me your opinions and player ratings.....don't want to piss in your pocket but you are usually spot on.

Holy

We lost tonight. That aside I was actually really quite happy with the game. It was enjoyable to watch and we're showing the progression I've been asking for.

Tavares was at times superb, Pain, Fab and Trent excellent. Some of our attacks were really quite good and our tracking and defence significantly improved. Faty played well. Neill...I'm relieved Galloway is awaiting.

Frankly I'll be interested to see what people say after watching a replay. I expect there'll be a more positive response.

I've said before that I expect 8-12 games before we really start to genuinely compete and see this as a good point to be at 3 games in.

Definitely need to improve in key areas, many discussed already.
More importantly - we need to show consistency from here. Play AT LEAST that well every game from here on and build on it

Overall I felt better after tonight's game than I have in a good while

Great Post GrA, my thoughts also.
I came away feeling somewhat disappointed we couldn't find a goal to draw, but happy enough to have seen Okon has us on the right path. And I think we are, like you say, going to take some time for it all to come together.
I just thought the ball movement was slow, static and indecisive at times which made it easy to defend against, but that will get better with more game time and confidence.
I still have my heart in my mouth anytime Izzo or Neil go anywhere near the ball although Izzo did make some great saves. It's their decision making that seems to let them down, almost as if they are trying too hard. Galloway has definitely got to come in for Neil.
I don't mind Fab having a go himself, even when sometimes there seems to be a better option of passing. He is one of the few we have that can do something special, provide that individual spark, which we needed last night.
I'm keen to watch the replay with a focus on Powell. I came away questioning his off the ball movements because he seemed he just wasn't picking up the ball in space to feed anyone, although he was in perfect position for a cutback from ROD towards the end. Still think we would be better playing a 442 with him and ROD.
Taveras was my MOM.

Holy

I'm not into the cynicism for the band. I've enjoyed most of what they've done and think they have clearly added to the dwindled atmosphere these past couple of years. But the walk out song was a pretty dismal failure imo. WTF was the announcement about "sing along to it? Could have banged the back of our chairs in time 'maybe'... but what on earth were we supposed to sing.

It was barely audible and sounded very poor. I'm not one to feel embarrassed, but we need to do a lot better. And they say it was with supporter consultation? Come on guys, I don't know any members who were consulted, but I can only speak to about ten, so hands up on here? Smells like a handful of people so they can make a claim at legitimacy or due process, which is not good form imo.

Still say Rowdy's Give us a home is the best idea to date... (and even had a fella whip up a quick proof of concept version). But anything would be better than something completely unintelligible like we had last night. And finally, NO BAND on the field unless they have proper uniforms. A cheapo Marines shirt does not cut it. Home grown, peoples club, grass roots etc we are... but at present they STILL look ridiculously amateur.

From where I sit in bay 8, I had no idea WTF the walk out song was, I couldn't hear it at all either. Just the bang of the drum and that seemed to be coming over the PA rather than from the band. The PA system surely was playing up last night, as all the ground announcements were hard to hear, I barely could make out Rachael was even talking.
And agree 100% FP, surely we can put them all in the same shirt and shorts. Left over ones from last year would do, so long as they are all in the same thing.

Wombat

My final ladder prediction is:

1. Sydney
2. Adelaide
3. Perth
4. Victory
5. City
6. Newcastle
7. WSW
8. Brisbane
9. Central Coast
10. Wellington

Please CCM prove me wrong!

Adelaide won't come second and Victory won't finish above City.

FFC Mariner

We have moved from the Bay to avoid the band. It looks like we have no active support at all now.
Plenty of people around us wondering why there was no singing (that could be heard anywhere else in the ground)

The band were horrible as usual and the Gary Glitter rhythm was laughably poor taste. What next? Jimmy Saville impressions?

Ancient Mariner

I just got back from Qld and haven't seen a minute of the game. Some great analysis on here but also some very conflicting opinions.
Hey Pat Jennings......any chance you could give me your opinions and player ratings.....don't want to piss in your pocket but you are usually spot on.
While you're waiting for Pat's here are a couple of mine, for what they are worth. From viewing the game from up high but not watching the replay yet.

The team showed massive improvement over the Sydney game. Whether that was due to weaker opposition or CCM improvement, not sure, but probably a bit of both. Massive improvement but still no more than half way there.The first half hour was good. They are definitely trying to play "Ange ball" keep possession and when you lose it get it back. Roar put plenty of pressure on McGing and Neil and both were found wanting (Neil especially). However the team generally managed to defend a lot better and get themselves out of trouble while mostly maintaining possession, long clearance played when necessary.
Possession was generally turned over by poor passes in midfield. Attack worked very well down the wings but Roar coped with that and CCM really had no more to offer. Overall the attack is improving, with faint glimpses of combinations beginning to develop, and at times the team looked dangerous, but we are definitely lacking in central midfield.

At the 60 minute mark the team was running out of legs and Roar began to come into the game. Until that point we were by far superior.

To individual players:

Izzo had his best game for a long while. Some very good saves, good sweeping and controlled the area and was more mobile than Ivan. One dreadful mix up at the edge of the box when Izzo came for the ball in traffic, could not claim it and only slapped it away. This led to the goal. Not yet first team keeper but may learn.

Fatty was very competent and made me glad we did not get rid of him after the first game. Defended well, went forward a couple of times and looked dangerous and showed a good turn of speed over most of the field to close down a Roar break. Only did a couple of silly things towards the end when he was running out of legs. A professional centre half display. If he plays like that every week he will retain his spot and earn his money.

McGing had a lot of pressure put on him and coped better than usual. Pulled off a couple of good tackles and generally played the ball well. A tough position to play when you are young and inexperienced.

Neil was very disappointing. I am starting to feel sorry for him because I am fast coming to the conclusion he is not a fullback but is put there because he is the only option or is willing. He really needs time to develop his game in a different position. At the moment leaving him there is just destroying him.

Roux is starting to come back. Ran himself into the ground, worked well I thought with Budgie late in the game when he was really stuffed. Will get better with more match time.

Tavares played the best game I have seen him play and was man of the match. Defended well, provided options, good passes and mobility. Another professional. Shared man of the match.

The back 5 worked very well together and did cover for each other as necessary and kept a good structure. Hopefully a sign of the coach beginning to take effect.

Monty did not have a great game. Afraid he looked a year older and a yard slower. Hopefully just having a bad day.

Paine. Worked his butt off, looked dangerous all the time. This was recognised by Roar and led to him being hacked to pieces. Shared man of the match.

Fab a good comeback and was pointed out elsewhere actually raced back to defend.

Budgie came on for Fab at about 60 min mark and looked really good. Intelligent off the ball runs and managed to cut in into space a couple of times. Provided a lovely ball for Powell I think that any #10 would have been proud of.

Powell did some good things but I did not notice him a lot. I need to look at the replay rather than do him a disservice. At times seems to just be invisible. probably my fault not his.

Roy worked hard as usual but as a lone striker with minimal service what can he do. Dropped back often to help out and pick up the ball but in any other team he would be a league golden boot contender.

We did look dangerous in attack at times but most of it is down the wings and oppositions know that is our attacking strength. We still need to develop understandings in attack. If we had those last night we would have won 4-1. There is just no options in attack in central midfield and Roy is being wasted by being left on his lonesome.

It would be interesting to see how the team would run with a 4 4 2 structure with a diamond midfield. Not that I would dare suggest it until we showed our back 4 and dm was a solid defensive unit. And also definitely too much to ask a team that is trying to learn a new style of playing. But until we develop some more attack and mobility in central midfield we are limited. Just a thought.

We definitely need a #10 to run at players and put the fear of God into defenders. With that the and the speed out wide we will be feared.

Overall probably our best match for this season (or last). Good progress was in evidence and for me I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. IF it continues mid table by the end of the season would not be unexpected.

Ancient Mariner

From where I sit in bay 8, I had no idea WTF the walk out song was, I couldn't hear it at all either. Just the bang of the drum and that seemed to be coming over the PA rather than from the band. The PA system surely was playing up last night, as all the ground announcements were hard to hear, I barely could make out Rachael was even talking.
And agree 100% FP, surely we can put them all in the same shirt and shorts. Left over ones from last year would do, so long as they are all in the same thing.

Above the band in Bay 38 all you could hear was the percussion coming over the PA.

I like the band (it masks the lack of active support), but it should stay at the back behind the goals. Sounds great but visually it is definitely not inspiring.

pjennings

Hi Wombat

I'm not going to give player ratings simply because I was caught behind the 'dugouts' and didn't have the best view so I will only give 'impressions'

My first impression though was a positive one. Very much along the lines of GrA's post. We are looking better under Okon than we have for a couple of years. There is plenty of room for improvement and we must remember that every other club has improved during those two years so we are starting from a fair way back. So the first take out is that Paolo has made a huge difference. By the time the January window comes I would think he would have a pretty good idea of who he wants to retain and a few changes will be made.

Izzo had a pretty good game but his decision on the goal was wrong. He also blasted a clearance into an oncoming Roar player. He did, however, make some good saves and kept us in the game at times.

The full backs, both Storm and Micky, I don't rate as part of a back four. They seem more like wing backs to employ outside a back three. That said Storm played okay considering his injury troubles before tiring markedly. Micky also has to take a large portion og the blame for the their goal.

Faty seems to have improved markedly from the first round and McGing tried hard before copping an elbow at the end.

Monty defended well which was his main role, Tavares was pulling the strings and looked very good. I have heard some concern with the ball speed in Tavares play but I watched that closely in the second half and he seemed to play at different speeds with different players, depending on their ability and reading of the game. Hopefully this will only improve. I like Blake and he seems to try hard but i don't think he is a CAM. Galloway when he came on looked very comfortable and I would e expect him to start instead of Micky next week.

Fabio, Trent and Pain were all okay without being brilliant. Fabio worked harder in defence than he did last season but often made the wrong choices. His presence though does put the other side's defence in two minds.

Roy tried hard with little to show for it.

We probably started yesterday with 5 players that I would not have as a first choice player, or was playing in the wrong position. That is the result of our recruitment over the last few years. We really are still short of a first choice CB, and a real #10. This rebuilding will hopefully start in January.

Last edited:

Pirate Pete

I quite enjoyed last night despite the loss. Just seeing an improvement means there's hope.
As has already been pointed out. Some woeful cross field balls in defence.
We really did slow down at the end which is not the Mariners way at all.
We used to be the fittest in the league.

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is Storm seemed to
have been out of position a few times leaving Thomas Broich all by himself.

But yes the walk out song needs fixing as does the ground announcer.
Both will make us a laughing stock of the A league. It's the last thing we need.
As FFC says when the band started the Gary Glitter thing I was
scared.png
shakey.gif

Maybe Shaun'll fix it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member