• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R23 v ADL @ Home

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Overall I think it was positive. It would have been good if we could lift a gear towards the end, but we have clearly changed a lot so....that will come. Not a lot of spark, but it seems like Staj is working on discipline and structure - tighten up the game first. and we looked tighter. Their goal came off 3 defensive mistakes in one hit:

The header they got, our player didn't bother contesting. The 'header out' went straight down the guts. If you can't clear it, send it to the side. This is U/10 stuff.

And, upon rewatching it.....

WHY THE f**k DID SOMEBODY ACTUALLY RUN AWAY FROM THE BACK POST????? :fireup::fireup::fireup::fireup::fireup:

We actually had a player on the back post - right where the shot went, but he ran away from the post just before the shot. Absolute amateur stuff.

The defence was tightened, but we have 5 seconds where the entire line lapses back to U/10F and they score. no surprise really.

I would have liked more from Simon. Coming off the bench, it's his job to create that spark and harass the defence - and he's fighting for a start and the captains armband next season. He was just invisible.

For the most part, I mainly wanted to see a different approach, different philosophy. We had that.

I think Staj is working on keeping calm and playing it cool before working on desperate, intense football. The games where we have played like that haven't worked for us. Given all our problems start at defence, I think tightening things up is a good choice.

They deserved nothing - listless, unfit and looked like they simply couldnt be arsed.
Staj brings on the 3 players who have let us down all year - shows he isnt in charge and we can only hope his replacement (rumour is he isnt getting the gig) will have the balls to chop the dead wood
Given the quality of your rumours before, that's given me confidence that Staj is definitely getting signed.

A bit like the first half of the Newcastle game. We seem to be

go on.......
Don't expect any elaboration from FFC on rumours.

Last edited:

marinermick

If the ball had come straight through I would be blaming Kennedy. But he had it covered and Aspro deflects it away further. Aspro also headed the ball straight down the middle - schoolboy stuff.

This one falls on O'Neill. He was back on the defensive line and not screening the space in front of them. By the time he came out to cover Isais it was too late.

Fantastic player but he he often ball watches and is slow to track his man as a result.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Two offsides by us the whole game and Matty Simon had both of them....nothing changes
And everything I was gonna say about that clueless no good, Two bit, brain dead, f**ktard dipshit of a absolute jackoff of a referee impostor has already been stated....oh and we shoulda been up 3-0 at half time ...but whatever

MagpieMariner

Two offsides by us the whole game and Matty Simon had both of them....nothing changes
And everything I was gonna say about that clueless no good, Two bit, brain dead, f**ktard dipshit of a absolute jackoff of a referee impostor has already been stated....oh and we shoulda been up 3-0 at half time ...but whatever
I take it you didn't like the ref? :p

Michael

I thought the structure was the only positive. The way tommy was pushing practically alongside Murray when we pressed in the pre determined areas was risky but tommy was intelligent with the angles he shut down.
But other than that we didn’t threaten at all.
Only created a few half chances
Adelaide weren’t great at all. Was a pretty boring game, not complaining at that...
We just lacked any attacking threat.

I’d say Aiden/Jem (probably more so Aiden) were at fault for the goal. Both of them had dropped into the box when in reality only one had to, you’d expect that’d be the DM’s (Jem) job. Tom had the more threatening man on the edge of the 18 already marked, Isaias came from a little deeper, Mallon probably could’ve at very least gave a call or dropped in too.

Alen wasn’t wrong in saying there’s a definite base to build from now.

Slater kept saying we had a very strong bench and called all our subs very strong changes...
surely taking the piss. Wee Mac and Simon should probably retire. Still waiting for Hoole to be taken out the back and shot. Same with Kennedy.

turbo

Adelaide weren’t great at all.
Some credit there has to go to our guys shutting them down and not giving them space to work with. They made one really good chance and Goodwin botched it but overall we didnt give them the time and space to play the game they wanted to play. If we put one of our chances away it changes the dynamic and forces them to go forward more which opens chances for us. But once they were up and then especially after we went down to 10 they didnt have that pressure. It was good to see us able to shut down the midfield like that, it's something we've missed as a tactical option under MM, the only thing missing was being able to switch in to a more aggressive mindset when we needed to chase a goal.

Big Al

We had 3 chances against Jets and scored 3 goals. Last night we missed those same 3 chances.

We were a little boring but from where we have come from i want to see a solid defence that’s hard to break down instead of the acres of space we have been giving up.

We are playing ugly but that’s what we need to do and almost pulled off a draw had pain had better control.

Adelaide hardly troubled us and this is progress for a team who copped 8 only a couple of weeks ago

Antlion

I thought the structure was the only positive. The way tommy was pushing practically alongside Murray when we pressed in the pre determined areas was risky but tommy was intelligent with the angles he shut down.
But other than that we didn’t threaten at all.
Only created a few half chances
Adelaide weren’t great at all. Was a pretty boring game, not complaining at that...
We just lacked any attacking threat.

I’d say Aiden/Jem (probably more so Aiden) were at fault for the goal. Both of them had dropped into the box when in reality only one had to, you’d expect that’d be the DM’s (Jem) job. Tom had the more threatening man on the edge of the 18 already marked, Isaias came from a little deeper, Mallon probably could’ve at very least gave a call or dropped in too.

Alen wasn’t wrong in saying there’s a definite base to build from now.

Slater kept saying we had a very strong bench and called all our subs very strong changes...
surely taking the piss. Wee Mac and Simon should probably retire. Still waiting for Hoole to be taken out the back and shot. Same with Kennedy.
Great post

Michael

Let me reiterate, no complaints at the boringness of the match. It’s actually a nice change.
We did really well in shutting down Adelaide. Just lacked any attacking X factor.

I just want this season done with to be honest and am frightened that another absolute domination will happen before it’s over.

Forum Phoenix

Let me reiterate, no complaints at the boringness of the match. It’s actually a nice change.
We did really well in shutting down Adelaide. Just lacked any attacking X factor.

I just want this season done with to be honest and am frightened that another absolute domination will happen before it’s over.

I don’t see anyone dominating us again this season. Even Perth. Beating us, sure. But we’re organised and doing the simple things right at last.

AU simply could not find the space and the way we recovered when we lost posession and they looked to counter was absolute chalk and cheese,

Jem out for Perth is a loss, but melling will come in and do a job I think.

My big issue is that Matty does not score goals or create chances, and with what’s happened he’d even dialed back his usual hustle and bustle. We have no playmaker, and our attacking weapons off the bench are very poor.

Hoole and Weemac were just players jogging around in the right shape. Hoole did one good intercept and then promptly decided to back heel to the opposition to make up for it. Weemac did nothing at all that I can actually remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: adz

Antlion

Thing is, this team's progress just doesn't really matter now.

What does matter is a little pride and reward for the fans.

Overwhelming what matters is seeing what Stajcic is capable of. It's a great measuring stick for him, to see what he can do with a demolished team in a fairly short turn around.

We reboot nearly entirely after 4 more games with what, 7 signed players for next season?
Even the coach is up in the air.

I hope we continue to hold our own and improve for the sake of some pride and good times, and so that we have proof of quality in a coach. But that aside it just doesn't matter if this team comes together or not as these players won't be a team shortly.
It's kind of liberating after the last few seasons.

Forum Phoenix

Not many players I’m attached to in that seven either.

Looking forward to starting afresh aswell.

We’ve carried so much dead wood these past 5 years.

I’m not going to say sign Staj just yet, win one more and draw another and I probably will, but a new coach and a proper non money ball spend is something to be optimistic about.

turbo

Not many players I’m attached to in that seven either.
Melling is the best signing on the list for next year, at least that we know about. I say that based on how much we're likely to be paying for him and that he can do the job in the starting squad if needed. Haven't seen enough of Oar to know if hes worth the coin and Shabow seems ok for a bench player but unlikely to break through to start. None of those players are likely to see much time in the rest of the season with the exception of Melling probably coming in for Jem due to suspension. Signing Simon and Mcglinchey for two seasons never made any sense.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Even talking to Simmo and Judas made no sense....I mean, why would you , it’s obvious even to a technical nitwit like me that they have both gone backwards at a steady pace

MagpieMariner

When I saw the bench, I thought "shit, I hope the starters can all do 90."
I must say I thought AU were very poor, especially after we went to 10. They should have run us all over the place, but they looked like a bus parking zone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred