• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R20: Mariners v City

style_cafe

But that's what I don't quite get, I suppose, unless you mean like the others have kindly pointed out, that he hit it at a good catching height... I certainly see the point there :)

But from memory, he had two defenders around him and his back to goal, presumably the shot, for anyone, would have ultimately been a combination of instinct and guess work?... And experience I suppose, as pointed out earlier around how the goalie is likely to move.
I think I'm just trying to understand why that miss s particularly worse than what anyone else had as it felt to me, a bit like one of those that look a lot easier than it really is :)

Anyone, thanks for the explanations and comments everyone, I really appreciate it!

From a coaching perspective heading to where the keeper came from is sound advice however, in this instance there was a defender there to cover the keeper.
Heading the ball down is also a good technique & as pointed out previously it makes it harder to save.
In saying that Fitzy is one of our smaller players & although he was in a fantastic position & got some power to the ball, I think Velaphi just made a fantastic reflex save....:popcorn:

Forum Phoenix

I think Weemac could be brilliant one week ordinary the next.
Monty is basically good every week.
Personal preference I suppose

Yeah, love Monty, but not the way I see it. I see Weemac as being our key player for a long period while probably best midfielder in the league. Look at what he's doing for the nix...

nearlyyellow

There was a nrl trial roosters v manly 3 weeks ago at BT
2 weeks ago? Gee, where's the groundsmen? From the eastern side it looked the worst I have seen it in 3 years. Maybe the groundsmen are winding down ground maintenance towards the commencement of the winter codes. :-|

VicMariner

I can't believe the impact Cernak is having. I was a bit underwhelmed when we signed him but he is going great. Maybe the Mariners environment suits him.
Seems like he's been around the HAL forever but he is only 25. He could hang around for quite a while if he keeps his form up.

localpom

I can't believe the impact Cernak is having. I was a bit underwhelmed when we signed him but he is going great. Maybe the Mariners environment suits him.
Seems like he's been around the HAL forever but he is only 25. He could hang around for quite a while if he keeps his form up.
Cernak is looking good. He has an awesome change of pace that caused MC lots of problems. The goal came from one of his runs that their defence couldn't deal with. Still lacks a bit of composure but if he keeps improving i think he will become an asset for us.

localpom

Unlike some, was really happy with the performance of Caceres. I think with this full season behind him will become one of the best players in the league next year. Incredible close control and tough for a little guy. In the space of a few minutes yesterday he made a potentially goal saving tackle on the edge of our box(then ran and made a 2nd tackle), and a few minutes later beat 4 men before getting tackled on the edge of the MC penalty area. I think maybe he does too much sometimes and positionally has a bit still to learn. Physically he will get stronger too. Next year i think we will see great things from him before he takes off. :(

ballantyne

Unlike some, was really happy with the performance of Caceres. I think with this full season behind him will become one of the best players in the league next year. Incredible close control and tough for a little guy. In the space of a few minutes yesterday he made a potentially goal saving tackle on the edge of our box(then ran and made a 2nd tackle), and a few minutes later beat 4 men before getting tackled on the edge of the MC penalty area. I think maybe he does too much sometimes and positionally has a bit still to learn. Physically he will get stronger too. Next year i think we will see great things from him before he takes off. :(
But as others have said he' s not working for attacking space off the ball. Without that he will never make it as a #10.

localpom

But as others have said he' s not working for attacking space off the ball. Without that he will never make it as a #10.
He's still learning and this season hasn't been ideal in this stage of his development. I really believe we will see the best of him next season, especially with some quality players around him. Already he and Fab look like they have a decent understanding.

nearlyyellow

He's still learning and this season hasn't been ideal in this stage of his development. I really believe we will see the best of him next season, especially with some quality players around him. Already he and Fab look like they have a decent understanding.
After all the young fella doesn't turn 23 until Sept. this year so still plenty of learning time available, caveat - with the right mentors. His contract runs until 2016/17. Hope Fab and he do develop a tight knit understanding, will be good to watch.

Capt. Awesome

If you get a chance have a listen to the post match interview. Very open and interesting feedback from Walmsley on the Marinets tactics. Very rare to hear a coach talking in detail to what went on at half time and what they changed. Well wortha listen. You can find in on the fox sport website or Youtube

nearlyyellow

" .. at half time a tick for satisfactory performance but with room for improvement .. "
And how he talked about getting Cernak in the centre to allow J. Rose to tear up the wing, etc. All very candid and open.

yorkshireman

Several things were looking better yesterday BUT we still have issues with attack. I could count on one hand the number of passes that were played in front of the receiver for them to run onto. Still too much passing to a static player or behind them. That said, Cernak is a massive part of our attack now as he is willing to run at players, Fab looks good when we can get him into the game and IF Caceres can start to move more to find himself space then he could play an important part as a #10. I hope that MC has been convinced that he needs to spend money to make money and we have a good standard of players coming in to build on our solid foundations for next season.

Spacks

I have to say Monty did a fantastic job yesterday. He's going to be a great captain next season, I prefer his defensive role but he can make the plays when needed.

I think we need better strikers, and a new playmaker in the midfield.

Wombat

If you get a chance have a listen to the post match interview. Very open and interesting feedback from Walmsley on the Marinets tactics. Very rare to hear a coach talking in detail to what went on at half time and what they changed. Well wortha listen. You can find in on the fox sport website or Youtube

Nice to hear after the drivel Mossy used to spout after a game.

Wombat

I have to say Monty did a fantastic job yesterday. He's going to be a great captain next season, I prefer his defensive role but he can make the plays when needed.

I think we need better strikers, and a new playmaker in the midfield.

Simon is injured for the season so that just leaves Major and Bingham as front line strikers.....that is a worry.
Caceras is doing quite well but is very inexperienced.

Last edited:

style_cafe

Simon is injured for the season so that just leaves Major and Bingham as front like strikers.....that is a worry.
Caceras is doing quite well but is very inexperienced.

Caceres is coming along nicely as he transitions from a DM to an AM.
As pointed out by others his positional play needs some work but that`s coachable with the right appointment.
I`ve liked the kid from day one.
It hasn`t been easy for him but he has the right attitude & he`s not afraid to work hard.
Carlos?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred