• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R20: Mariners v City

scottmac

Suspended
Not being much of a footballer myself, can someone explain to me, what exactly it was that Fitsy should've done better, off that header?
I'm genuinely curious, as I struggle to see it. Yep, it should/could've been a goal, but the way it looked to me, he had his back to the goal, headed it with quite a bit of power, across, without being able to see where Velaphi was.
I thought it had more to do with being a good save than a poor effort, but to be honest, I'm never quite sure where I think the commentators are just letting out s**t and where I'm just not experienced enough, watching the game.

Nice to get another win though, and well-deserved too I thought...

Without seeing a replay, he tried to continue the trajectory of the ball towards the western goal post rather than heading it towards the post on the side of the field it came from.
The goal keeper will always follow the ball across the goal. To head back in the direction it comes from requires the goalie to change direction. It's also alot easier to get solid contact aiming the header to the post it came from. Obviously that's a generalisation & will not account for all headed attempts on goal. Sometimes you just get any contract you can.

style_cafe

A lot of quality strikers would have headed it down. Unstoppable from that range unless it literally hits the keeper. He made good contact but unfortunately aimed at the perfect height for a keeper - hand reactions are quicker than feet and the flight is a lot easier to read - when level or rising.

Nice to see some serious grunt and desire today. A deserved and well fought win I thought. Mooy was threatening to take total control and so they got stuck right into him. Was a critical piece of leadership by Hutch, Monty and also Poscy to really badger him.

Caceres has the best feet in the team, he's exciting, willing to put in and has a good attitude... but he has the worst positioning and movement of a #10 in the league by far. I don't have it in for the kid, but he needs to drastically improve his play off the ball. He just presents so poorly, sits behind opposition players and finds no space, while continually putting his hands out gesturing for a ball - that should not be played, and is then not played, because there are typically two players often in direct line blocking it's path. It's bizarre to me. Net result is that it creates a huge problem in our transition. Our distribution channels via DM's are regularly shut down and he's unavailable, except for a short pointless back and forths, so our CB's have to carry the ball forward more often than is usual or sometimes healthy. When the ball finds Caceres in space - it is rarely due to any clever movement of his own, he's exceptional in tight spaces but that does not mean he should just be letting himself receive in such tight spaces so often. He has the technical ability to do be one of the best players in the league - but has to stop playing and reading the game like it's a game of bloody futsal.

Ferreira is a great example. Terrific runs and changes of direction. Guy is class. That turn to then lay off a pin point accurate pass with the outside of his foot 40 metres was serious quality. Adelaide f**ked up big time imo. And honestly, if you gave Caceres feet to Cernak, he'd be unbelievable - he had another great game today which makes you think all year he's been benched or not even in the squad while Duke is forced to play wing when he should have been our starting striker. Anyway... how good is it to go and watch a win!!

Best CCM imports...
1. Dutchy.
2. Weemac.
3. Ferriera.

Daylight to all others.

What do others think?
I think Monty is above Weemac....:popcorn:

Wombat

Gooood. That felt a lot better. How about that free kick? One of the best set pieces from us in ages. Cernak has a pretty ordinary touch at times, which is probably the biggest thing holding him back from being really good, but the energy and creativity he brings is worth so much. Having him and Fab out on the wings makes us much more creative and potent. Now all we need is a big no. 9 like Macca to start banging them in. Hutch and Monty were both really solid.

Agree.....I'm really starting to like Cernak. He has a lot of flaws but works really hard. His ball to set up Fitz in the first half was a peach.
I have to say I thought Hutch was pretty insipid tonight but Monty was great. Monty also makes mistakes but his tackling is superb and he was our most creative middy.

Wombat

Not being much of a footballer myself, can someone explain to me, what exactly it was that Fitsy should've done better, off that header?
I'm genuinely curious, as I struggle to see it. Yep, it should/could've been a goal, but the way it looked to me, he had his back to the goal, headed it with quite a bit of power, across, without being able to see where Velaphi was.
I thought it had more to do with being a good save than a poor effort, but to be honest, I'm never quite sure where I think the commentators are just letting out s**t and where I'm just not experienced enough, watching the game.

Nice to get another win though, and well-deserved too I thought...

He headed it straight at the keeper. A bit of direction either side and he scores. It certainly wasn't a centre forwards header.

Atomic

Agree.....I'm really starting to like Cernak. He has a lot of flaws but works really hard. His ball to set up Fitz in the first half was a peach.
I have to say I thought Hutch was pretty insipid tonight but Monty was great. Monty also makes mistakes but his tackling is superb and he was our most creative middy.
Dare I quote dibo here… but he said months ago, you need someone to "c**t up" the midfield. Monty did that this afternoon. He was at his c**tish best. I loved it!!! Unfortunately, his passing let him down. I can forgive the odd long ball going astray. I've always found that to be his achilles heel. Too many poor passes. Still, Monty is far and away my favourite player. Has been for a couple of years.

Atomic

I think Monty is above Weemac....:popcorn:
Ohh… controversial :tinfoilhat: lol.

Two different players with two different briefs. Who would you miss most? Had weemac stayed, do you think Monty's absence would've had the impact on us that weemac's absence has had?

Wombat

Monty was good today. It was far from a polished performance but if half the team could follow his leadership we would be a top 4 side. If he had Caceras feet he would be the best middy in Australia.
He makes things happen going forward and only Ferreira is more effective.

Atomic

Did you see the hug Hutch and Monty had when the whistle blew? This win meant a hell of a lot to these guys.

The thing I liked about todays performance was we didn't make a sub until about the 80 min mark. The boys were all putting in and playing well. Leave 'em on, let 'em work and bleed for each other. I felt like I was watching a team today. Hadn't felt that way in a while.

The ironic thing was, I noticed that all the "Fortress" signs were gone today. Was this the first game that they were removed? Based on our season, they didn't deserve to be there, but based on today's effort, we have made a step in the right direction to ensure that return in the not to distant future.

Points for today… toss up between Cernak and Fab. Given Cernak did more dirty work than Fab, he gets my 3…

Cernak 3
Fab 2
Reddy 1 (How awesome was that injury time save at the end!!!!)

Atomic

Points for today… toss up between Cernak and Fab. Given Cernak did more dirty work than Fab, he gets my 3…

Cernak 3
Fab 2
Reddy 1 (How awesome was that injury time save at the end!!!!)
And honourable mentions to Monty and Bosnar

nebakke

He headed it straight at the keeper. A bit of direction either side and he scores. It certainly wasn't a centre forwards header.

But that's what I don't quite get, I suppose, unless you mean like the others have kindly pointed out, that he hit it at a good catching height... I certainly see the point there :)

But from memory, he had two defenders around him and his back to goal, presumably the shot, for anyone, would have ultimately been a combination of instinct and guess work?... And experience I suppose, as pointed out earlier around how the goalie is likely to move.
I think I'm just trying to understand why that miss s particularly worse than what anyone else had as it felt to me, a bit like one of those that look a lot easier than it really is :)

Anyone, thanks for the explanations and comments everyone, I really appreciate it!

Wombat

I enjoyed it this arvo.
We were a long way from great and playing a 5ft 7in winger as your centre forward was a Mossism if ever I saw one.
But......without Moss's dire defensive structure if was an improvement.

Reddy 9. MOM. The reason our woeful defence wasn't ripped apart.
Rose 6.5. Mixed bag. Gave Posco a massive spray after he was caught out of position (but recovered brilliantly) but that summed up his game. Sloppy one minute, good the next.
Bosnar 6. Terrible first half but tackled well in the second.
Ando 6. Some state leagues standard defending to start with but got better as the game went on.
Posco 6. Not sure what to make of that. Gave the ball away badly at times. His support of his winger was non existent but he worked hard and challenged well on occasions. Still a very rough diamond and is not a full back.
Hutcho 5.5. Insipid. Ball watched rather than added to our attack.
Monty 7.5. Good game.
Caceras 6. Insipid but with occasional flashes of brilliance.
Fitz 6. Works so hard so you can't fault his effort. Frustrating player.
Ferreira 7. Our most classy player. Great finish. I love this bloke already.
Cernak 7. Good game. Touch is poor at times but has a good brain and works hard. Defended well from the front.

mom.

Reddy 3pts
Monty 2pts
Ferreira and Cernak 1pt.

Gratis

funnily I think the starting 11 is what mossy would have picked. but then you never know, he did make some odd personnel calls.

ferriera deserved his standing ovation. cernack is definitely one of our best at the moment, if he can fine tune some we'll have struck gold. quite enjoyed his work today.
caceres too is a treat with his feet, but I agree with the positioning not being a strength. maybe some new focus/training on this with a new coach could help.
I was surprised to see zac on, and truth be told he had a good game. both cbs had some very decent positioning and stepped in at the right times.
always love monty's work, hats off once again. having 2 dms worked to shut down their more than capable attack. congrats to hutch on his milestone.
couple of great saves from reddy too.
interesting to see posco in place of roux again.
fitzy I've always rated but is definitely a midfielder not a striker. he seems overstretched right up front. i think we'll get the best out of him when he can drop back a bit. speaking of which any word on simon?
it was a pretty even game and they earned the win. hoping the confidence will build from here as well as the midfield combos from fab/cac/cernak

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Was there another code game recently at CCS? The playing surface looked unusually roughed up. Very pleased with the win though. 6k. crowd was better than I expected, I had guessed at sub 5k. Lots of families there it seemed, with only the kids having Mariners colours on. Still good to see.
There was a nrl trial roosters v manly 3 weeks ago at BT

Wombat

But that's what I don't quite get, I suppose, unless you mean like the others have kindly pointed out, that he hit it at a good catching height... I certainly see the point there :)

But from memory, he had two defenders around him and his back to goal, presumably the shot, for anyone, would have ultimately been a combination of instinct and guess work?... And experience I suppose, as pointed out earlier around how the goalie is likely to move.
I think I'm just trying to understand why that miss s particularly worse than what anyone else had as it felt to me, a bit like one of those that look a lot easier than it really is :)

Anyone, thanks for the explanations and comments everyone, I really appreciate it!

If I was in that position I would have put it straight into the keepers belly. If I'd tried to guide it too much I wouldn't get decent purchase at it would skim into the post. Have said that I am a mug defender and our headers are different.
Haven't said that almost all of the strikers I played with would have buried it instinctively.

nebakke

funnily I think the starting 11 is what mossy would have picked. but then you never know, he did make some odd personnel calls.

ferriera deserved his standing ovation. cernack is definitely one of our best at the moment, if he can fine tune some we'll have struck gold. quite enjoyed his work today.
caceres too is a treat with his feet, but I agree with the positioning not being a strength. maybe some new focus/training on this with a new coach could help.
I was surprised to see zac on, and truth be told he had a good game. both cbs had some very decent positioning and stepped in at the right times.
always love monty's work, hats off once again. having 2 dms worked to shut down their more than capable attack. congrats to hutch on his milestone.
couple of great saves from reddy too.
interesting to see posco in place of roux again.
fitzy I've always rated but is definitely a midfielder not a striker. he seems overstretched right up front. i think we'll get the best out of him when he can drop back a bit. speaking of which any word on simon?
it was a pretty even game and they earned the win. hoping the confidence will build from here as well as the midfield combos from fab/cac/cernak

They mentioned in the coverage, that Matty's injury officially has him out for the rest of the season now :-(

Roy Law

Monty Leads the Way
Character won this game for the Mariners. Lead by the incomparable Nick Montgomery the Mariners, despite not playing well, had too much determination and sheer guts for a disappointing Melbourne City and ran out deserved winners.
Acting coach Tony Walmsley brought back John Hutchinson, as promised, and Eddie Bosnar, with Storm Roux on the bench.
Liam Reddy, who had a splendid game, had to be at his best in the opening minutes to save a swerving shot from Koren. Fitzgerald responded with a strong shot of his own, but it was too straight to trouble Velaphi.
The Mariners were looking to play to the wings with Bosnar finding Fabio Ferreira out wide with a raking pass, from which Ferreira won a corner; and then Montgomery accurately finding Cernak wide on the left. The wingman cut inside and unleashed a powerful shot, just wide, with Velaphi nowhere near it.
City was piling on the pressure as the Mariners struggle to maintain possession. A Poscoliero mistake almost had Josh Kennedy away but he was too slow to react. It seemed as if there was no stop to the aerial bombardment from corners and free kicks. But the Mariners defenders, in particular, Anderson, were doing well to deny the tall men of City and when they were beaten there was always Reddy who threw himself three times to thwart Kennedy.
The defence was breached though when Williams ran onto a killer pass over the top; all looked lost but Rose was sharp enough to deny the chance. Caceres was growing into the game and from his typical slalom-like run on the edge of the penalty area the Mariners won a free kick, but Bosnar’s shot was tame, and the chance was lost. Late in the half Cernak was causing problems with his lively pace, once setting up Fitzgerald for a blocked shot and then brilliantly winning a corner with tight skills along the goal line.
Ferreira was having a real battle with the feisty Singaporean Baharudin but the truth is that the defender should have been red carded in the 42nd minute for a second yellow offence, a glaringly obvious deliberate handball. Obvious, as is the way with these things, to all but the match officials who may have been thinking about their half time cuppa.
The Mariners had struggled for rhythm in the first half but they lifted the intensity in the second half and penned City back. It wasn’t pretty, it was frantic at times, but it was effective.
Monty, whose passing game showed an imagination rarely seen, superbly put Ferreira in space and on goal but the winger hit the shot wide. It was a golden chance but Monty wasn’t deterred. A magnificent chipped pass down the right wing, as good as anything by Perez, Amini, Rogic, McGlinchey et al, found Ferreira whose cross was equally accurate and was well met by Fitzgerald. Unfortunately the header was poorly placed and Velaphi saved easily. It was a huge let off for City.
The Mariners continued to apply pressure and City eventually cracked. Cernak running at pace at the defence was hacked down on the edge of the area. Four Mariners stood over the ball before Cernak rolled it into the path of Ferreira, whose shot comprehensively beat the sprawling Velaphi. It was no more than the Mariners deserved.
The Mariners defended with gutsy determination; City huffed and puffed, but the belligerent Mooy no longer had influence on the game. In the closing moments came a bizarre incident as pantomime villain Eddie Bosnar hoofed a clearance down field which bounced higher than pantomime clown Velaphi expected and he had to embarrassingly tip the ball over the bar. Reddy then completed the game as he had started it, with a vital save from Ramsay, as City looked as if they were going to steal an undeserved point. Hutchinson, captain on the day, sought out Montgomery, the leader on the day, and gave him a long and emotional man hug.
The Mariners were far from their best but put in the hard yards to win this. Reddy was brilliant; Anderson was a rock at the centre of defence; Cernak was lively as a firecracker and Ferreira showed you cannot keep a match winner down for long but the Mom for me goes to Monty who ran all day, threw himself into tackles, played some beautiful passes, and constantly urged and cajoled his team mates to victory. Hutcho’s hug said it all.

style_cafe

Ohh… controversial :tinfoilhat: lol.

Two different players with two different briefs. Who would you miss most? Had weemac stayed, do you think Monty's absence would've had the impact on us that weemac's absence has had?
I think Weemac could be brilliant one week ordinary the next.
Monty is basically good every week.
Personal preference I suppose

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred