• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R17 v Victory @ home

MagpieMariner

. and that is what you get when your main striker (who ain't young anymore) has to go from playing 15 mins a match (as he has done for the past three years)* to playing the full 90 every week
... even more so when he has to play 6 games in 3 weeks or whatever it has been
..... compounded by a shambolic strength and conditioning situation

* unresearched generalisation for the sake of the argument
I agree with what you say, but I remember my son-in-law & I commenting on his slowness (we call it laziness) when he was here before his SFC days. Also as I've commented ad nauseum Matty is NOT a leading striker, he needs a quality striker/poacher beside him. Murray is not, and I believe won't be for a while, in the class of Sasho/McBreen. Until we get someone like that, or until Murray improves his ability to that level, Matty is going to be double/triple-teamed & is going to remain effectively non-effective. Don't get me wrong, I like Matty, I have much respect for him especially his passion for the club and his respect for the fans as I've seen on the few occasions I've interacted with him, but at the moment it's not working for him or the team.

MagpieMariner

How many mistakes did Kennedy make leading to the equaliser. 90 seconds before the goal it was like an under 10 game where a new keeper plays every week. Aspro was screaming at him to come for the ball as he shielded the ball. Should have claimed it and the ball was down to half way.
Instead Aspro had to desperately kick it out for a corner.

MagpieMariner

Kennedy appears to be unable to catch above his head. On a number of occasions, I saw Thomas take a nice overhead pack mark from a corner. The only time I saw Kennedy try to do something from a corner was punch, and not very well.

true believer

How many mistakes did Kennedy make leading to the equaliser. 90 seconds before the goal it was like an under 10 game where a new keeper plays every week. Aspro was screaming at him to come for the ball as he shielded the ball. Should have claimed it and the ball was down to half way.
i thought middy was gunna jump out of the stand and choke kennedy to death , when that happened.
i think thats the first time i've seen him really angry .

Forum Phoenix

Kennedy is scared of making a mistake. Most players who’ve played as much football as him mature, grow in confidence, and their decision making gets better and better.

But some have an incident like a bad injury they can’t mentally shake or make some mistakes that rattles their trust in their ability. Whatever it is, (he did have a bad injury) his lack of confidence is about as obvious as it gets in a professional footballer imo.

A professional athlete can’t afford to doubt or hesitate. You have to nut up, accept you may fail, and back yourself anyway.

Kennedy consistently hesitates and 9 times out of 10 will take the path of least resistance and do what’s easiest/safest for him - Refuse to come - punch - panic and flap at a ball whatever.

He has to go. Imo he’s lost us 3 games on his own this season and is responsible for inumerable other deficiencies that impact negatively on our defence and the team.

finally retired

I was going to suggest getting the Sheffield youth keeper....as he MUST be better than what we already have surely....but then realised we wouldn't have any visa spots left. Is Chris Oldfield an aussie yet ?????

Wombat

He should just ask Nash who he recommends and put a red pen through all his recommendations.

Ancient Mariner

Finally got round to watching the replay.
I spent a lot of time watching how our defence worked (did not).
We are playing 3 at the back, but instead of playing with 3 defenders and 2 wingbacks we are playing with 3 defenders, a winger (pain) and a wingback (Millar, who is really another winger) who does get back but does not do much.
A lot of the time there is so much space at our defensive left, Rowles gets pulled out to cover a fullback's role and it completely pulls our defence apart.
Many times we were left with MV attacking with only 3 at the back defending 3 or more attackers.
The structure works in the first half because it gives us an extra attacker, but as the match goes on our wingers have done so much work giving us a lead, they are two stuffed to defend.
The players are also not good (fit) enough to change roles and shift to a very effective solid, defensive structure of lines of four with two in front like SFC do so effectively.
Time for plan c in structure.

Ancient Mariner

As to the players.
Tommy H was very effective as usual, without him in the middle we would be a complete shower. Massive improvement with him taking the corners.
Melling is a useful partner beside him and his errors, while reducing, are still too frequent and sometimes fatal.
Apart from his 2 superb free kicks Hoole did not contribute a great deal (as usual). However, in this game instead of running around in circles on possession he passed the ball and looked much more useful. He has always had an excellent shot, but needs more at this level.
Matty while a trier is not the answer up front.

One thing that struck me was that when Murray got cleaned up we had a physio on the field but no doctor and I realised that I have not noticed the doctor on out bench this season.
Have I just not noticed him or is that another cost saving?

Forum Phoenix

We are playing 3 at the back, but instead of playing with 3 defenders and 2 wingbacks we are playing with 3 defenders, a winger (pain) and a wingback (Millar, who is really another winger) who does get back but does not do much.
A lot of the time there is so much space at our defensive left, Rowles gets pulled out to cover a fullback's role and it completely pulls our defence apart.
Many times we were left with MV attacking with only 3 at the back defending 3 or more attackers.
The structure works in the first half because it gives us an extra attacker, but as the match goes on our wingers have done so much work giving us a lead, they are two stuffed to defend.
The players are also not good (fit) enough to change roles and shift to a very effective solid, defensive structure of lines of four with two in front like SFC do so effectively.

Yeah great piece of analysis AM. I’m not a fan of 352 defensively as it puts a lot of weight on the quality of your 3 central defenders. They need more pace compared to a typical CB pairing, excellent positional awareness, must be dominant aerially as well as very good tacklers. Sigh... it’s actually a credit to our current back three that they’ve been doing as well as they have imo.

Also on counter attacks someone has to pressure the ball quickly while the other two drop and cover. You can’t just run back holding your line like we currently try and do because it’s too narrow and they get to just Waltz all the way into our 18 yard box and then can shoot, or by this time with good teams their support runners all arrive and then it’s mayhem. This has been way too common for us. Letting attackers dribble unchallenged 30 metres into our box - Throw in attackers with Krishnas or Elvis’s pace and we get ripped apart.

But... TBH, I think we’ve been playing catch up and it’s been — get something/anything working, and winning the midfield has been a big improvement but progression to change shape tactically/defensively Etc is hopefully coming soon.

I also think Mulvey is too slow to respond in games. Too often I’m watching games and you feel the momentum shift, and you go, ok mulvey make the sub, slow it down, mix it up, break the rhythm and force them to respond. Conevon Mulvey... come on Mulvet... f**k. Instead he tries to hold on for another 5-10 minutes. They score and then we sub in response.

These two issues have been driving me mental when watching our recent games.

Still, I think we’ve been consistently improving. MV are a good side.

Wombat

Probably gave them their toughest game in months. Its only our youthful ineptititude thats killed us.

Ads

Well said.
Makes it look like the back 3 boys arnt doing their job. But they get dragged just a bit to far. Need 2 solid lines and simple structure.

Michael

If someone were able to go through all the goals and build up to the goals we’ve conceded this season that’d be brilliant.
Then come to a % of
1: team shape
2: defensive mistake
3: keeper error
4: unstoppable strike

We’ve copped a few worldies which you can’t really always complain about. But i’d Say a good 85% of goals we concede are from borderline retarded errors and ben Kennedy proving how far away from this level he is. He’d struggle in Newcastle NPL which is where he’s going to end up.

We should’ve got Glover back in. I know his attitude absolutely stank in the end for a few reasons. But in terms of straight up ability, miles ahead of kennedy.
That error he made for the 2nd goal on the weekend was so comical I nearly cried. How can anyone look him in the eye and say he’s upto it. And he tried to claim a foul in the aftermath. f**king embarrassing.
A good number of the boys have stepped up recently. Even Melling on the odd occasion. Kennedy is going backwards. Like the backwards scum f**k he is.

BaysideMariner

Yeah great piece of analysis AM. I’m not a fan of 352 defensively as it puts a lot of weight on the quality of your 3 central defenders. They need more pace compared to a typical CB pairing, excellent positional awareness, must be dominant aerially as well as very good tacklers. Sigh... it’s actually a credit to our current back three that they’ve been doing as well as they have imo.

Also on counter attacks someone has to pressure the ball quickly while the other two drop and cover. You can’t just run back holding your line like we currently try and do because it’s too narrow and they get to just Waltz all the way into our 18 yard box and then can shoot, or by this time with good teams their support runners all arrive and then it’s mayhem. This has been way too common for us. Letting attackers dribble unchallenged 30 metres into our box - Throw in attackers with Krishnas or Elvis’s pace and we get ripped apart.

But... TBH, I think we’ve been playing catch up and it’s been — get something/anything working, and winning the midfield has been a big improvement but progression to change shape tactically/defensively Etc is hopefully coming soon.

I also think Mulvey is too slow to respond in games. Too often I’m watching games and you feel the momentum shift, and you go, ok mulvey make the sub, slow it down, mix it up, break the rhythm and force them to respond. Conevon Mulvey... come on Mulvet... f**k. Instead he tries to hold on for another 5-10 minutes. They score and then we sub in response.

These two issues have been driving me mental when watching our recent games.

Still, I think we’ve been consistently improving. MV are a good side.
I thought that Okon was the king of the wait and hope mentality when making subs.

turbo

And he tried to claim a foul in the aftermath. f**king embarrassing.

It looked like he was appealing for offside which I can kind understand because seeing the attacker there could plausibly influence the keepers actions but that’s not how the law works. I don’t really like it regardless of whether it’s working for or against us but it is what it is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred