• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R17 v Victory @ home

Ancient Mariner

Yeah great piece of analysis AM. I’m not a fan of 352 defensively as it puts a lot of weight on the quality of your 3 central defenders. They need more pace compared to a typical CB pairing, excellent positional awareness, must be dominant aerially as well as very good tacklers. Sigh... it’s actually a credit to our current back three that they’ve been doing as well as they have imo.

Also on counter attacks someone has to pressure the ball quickly while the other two drop and cover.

What you say there about the wing backs dropping to help the defence is how I thought 352 was supposed to be played. However on Saturday, in the second half only Millar dropped back while pane stayed high. This left us with 4 at the back but with Rowles still in a left centre back position, rather than an even coverage across the park we where unbalanced towards our right. This quite often forced Rowles to then come out of the line and spread wide and forward to counter attacks coming down their right.

There was no evidence of a defensive team structure asking the opposition to try and break themselves on what should be a wall. To my eyes it was a scramble continually trying to close down the ball.

MagpieMariner

One thing I noticed, particularly in the second half, MV were taking all their upfield free kicks almost before it was blown and our guys were still arguing with the ref or just walking back and not looking at what was going on. Consequently they were often caught out and had to scramble madly to try to cover. I can accept the first quickly taken kick being a surprise, but not every one. It makes me wonder about their thought processes, or lack thereof.

marinermick

One thing I noticed, particularly in the second half, MV were taking all their upfield free kicks almost before it was blown and our guys were still arguing with the ref or just walking back and not looking at what was going on. Consequently they were often caught out and had to scramble madly to try to cover. I can accept the first quickly taken kick being a surprise, but not every one. It makes me wonder about their thought processes, or lack thereof.

There is none. There is no clue as to how to slow down a game, especially when you have the lead.

turbo

our guys were still arguing with the ref or just walking back and not looking at what was going on

Our captain leads that one by example. The game moves on and he's still arguing with the ref. Sometimes even while we're in an attacking position and he should be getting on with it.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Was Kennedy still marking the striker at corners or have we fixed that?
I didn't watch this one.... Had a lot planned on Sunday and just couldn't go into it feeling upset (which is inevitable watching the team), so this one time i just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

There is none. There is no clue as to how to slow down a game, especially when you have the lead.
Odd. In past games we've stood over the ball to block quick kicks as much as any team (the sort of thing that should be an instant card but refs have been slack with it, so now it's crept in as a normal part of the game)

marinermick

Odd. In past games we've stood over the ball to block quick kicks as much as any team (the sort of thing that should be an instant card but refs have been slack with it, so now it's crept in as a normal part of the game)

That's only one small way of slowing the game down when you need to wrestle back control. I don't see much strategic fouling, taking a heap of time with throw-ins, goal kicks and freekick, having longer conversations with referees (captain), taking even more time with subs, and taking time with injuries.

Seeing a player jog off when being subbed and ahead on the scoreboard tops the list of my gripes.

turbo

Seeing a player jog off when being subbed and ahead on the scoreboard tops the list of my gripes.

I'd actually like to see the refs award cards to time wasters who want to walk off from as far away as possible.Get on with the game regardless of which team you're on.

turbo

I see things like the time wasting, play acting looking for opposition cards and that sort of thing as holding football back from being a mainstream spectator sport in Aus. If you win the battle of getting a non football fan to watch the game we cant afford to have every negative stereotype they hold about the game confirmed.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

That's only one small way of slowing the game down when you need to wrestle back control. I don't see much strategic fouling, taking a heap of time with throw-ins, goal kicks and freekick, having longer conversations with referees (captain), taking even more time with subs, and taking time with injuries.

As magpie said we were arguing with the ref plenty. Ref just wasn't stupid enough to hold up the game for it. That's actually good refereeing IMO. I'd rather see players focus on the game than the ref.

Forum Phoenix

I thought that Okon was the king of the wait and hope mentality when making subs.

It didn’t even matter when Okon made subs, individual decision making and creativity had been so drilled out, he could make a double change and we’d just do exactly the same thing.

Last edited:

MagpieMariner

Was Kennedy still marking the striker at corners or have we fixed that?
I didn't watch this one.... Had a lot planned on Sunday and just couldn't go into it feeling upset (which is inevitable watching the team), so this one time i just couldn't bring myself to do it.
1 particular 1st half corner I did notice we had a bloke on each post, and Kennedy calling them in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred