• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R15 - AU v CCM

marinersince2006

Uskok should be given his first start in central defence shouldn't he? Could help us cope with Bruce Djite.
Not sure he would last pace fitness wise. He looks a good 6'4".

Jake/asc played together....so feel comfortable with them.

Is Uskok a 6 and CB?
Agree he should be given a start. Maybe in midfield against WSW or Jets?

Forum Phoenix

Not sure on all the Heff talk. I get it. If he was just not fit enough but the best finisher in the squad, can't believe they'd be that crazy.
But if they never thought he would be fast enough at this level even when fit... that's a different story, and one that fits with what's happening and how he looked from at least what I saw.
Sad for him though I agree. And us.

nebakke

Not sure on all the Heff talk. I get it. If he was just not fit enough but the best finisher in the squad, can't believe they'd be that crazy.
But if they never thought he would be fast enough at this level even when fit... that's a different story, and one that fits with what's happening and how he looked from at least what I saw.
Sad for him though I agree. And us.

Yeah - I just listened to this week's podcast on the way to work this morning... I have no knowledge at all about #thatboytrent that everyone's raving about, but I'm getting pulled along in the excitement ;)
Anyway, he mentioned that he reckoned that TB is probably a bit faster than Mitch over the first 10 meters-or-so and in general, at least as fast - which is pretty impressive I think, if that's combined with decent ball handling.
Anyway, with that in mind, it seems pretty clear to me, that we're looking for more than just "a bit" of pace in the front third and I think it was clear that Heff was a long way off that.

So I'd tend to agree... TW also made a comment about how we had players who seemed to only be running when they felt like it, against Sydney, and how he thought that game had sort of been a strong driver for turning things around - realising some things... I figured that was a thinly veiled reference to Fitzy & Cac especially.
With that, I'm also wondering if that's been part of the driver for him realising the sort of pace we can muster up front, when we have both Mitch and Fab fit... Bing just seemed to help that as well...
Bearing that in mind, it's probably also been a bit of a catalyst for the analysis of whether Heff was ever going to come up to the standard that we need, to play this sort of game... Well, that'd be my take on it anyway ;)

It's a shame for Heff, I'm thinking that he might've done alright in a less pace-focused squad, although it's hard to tell because he's never really had the opportunity, but they must've seen SOMETHING in him to sign him on.

elevated position

Two strikers who have the same attributes as Heff are Sergio Van Dyke and Shane Smeltz great strikers who thrive with the ball being fed to them. More awareness than speed and unfortunately for Heff at 28 it with take a few more years at NPL level.
Shame great fairy tale.

Gratis

the taking a visa spot situation was never going to be in his favour either (edit: or do i have that wrong?)

localpom

Yeah - I just listened to this week's podcast on the way to work this morning... I have no knowledge at all about #thatboytrent that everyone's raving about, but I'm getting pulled along in the excitement ;)
Anyway, he mentioned that he reckoned that TB is probably a bit faster than Mitch over the first 10 meters-or-so and in general, at least as fast - which is pretty impressive I think, if that's combined with decent ball handling.
Anyway, with that in mind, it seems pretty clear to me, that we're looking for more than just "a bit" of pace in the front third and I think it was clear that Heff was a long way off that.

So I'd tend to agree... TW also made a comment about how we had players who seemed to only be running when they felt like it, against Sydney, and how he thought that game had sort of been a strong driver for turning things around - realising some things... I figured that was a thinly veiled reference to Fitzy & Cac especially.
With that, I'm also wondering if that's been part of the driver for him realising the sort of pace we can muster up front, when we have both Mitch and Fab fit... Bing just seemed to help that as well...
Bearing that in mind, it's probably also been a bit of a catalyst for the analysis of whether Heff was ever going to come up to the standard that we need, to play this sort of game... Well, that'd be my take on it anyway ;)

It's a shame for Heff, I'm thinking that he might've done alright in a less pace-focused squad, although it's hard to tell because he's never really had the opportunity, but they must've seen SOMETHING in him to sign him on.
Shame, i would have loved Heff to be successful. Ultimately, i'm guessing, with the pace we have in the final third he would never have been able to get to the chances that we would have created.

Luke

cheers, wasn't sure

I spoke to Heff recently and he seems to think he was taking up a visa spot which may have had something to do with the decision.He also said Heidelberg had filled their visa spots so he's no chance of going back there.A NSW NPL club would be crazy to pass him by with his NPL scoring record and he could easily earn himself $700-1k a week.

I had a snoop at training this morning before I go to Adelaide tommorow.Uskok and Ascroft were training at CB with Mcging still in midfield so I dare say that's how we'll start.Matthew Fletcher was there and was hovering around the no.9 position where I've been told he can play.Left footed,decent sized unit and kind of reminds me of Austin.
Adam Berry has been promoted from youth which is good to see.Arguably our most consistent performer in youth.He looks about 12 (as do most of them) but he can play.
Tricky had no involvement at all,not even in the 11v11.Definitely part of the outer crew.Kalik was there but didn't take part in the final drill and was over with Tricky and a couple of the youth boys having shota. It's a shame as I rate Kalik but if he's fallen out of favour and Hajduk Split want him we may as well get a pay day for it.His contract is up at the end of the season so if he goes then we would still be entitled to some kind of training compensation fee.

We have a few things to sort through but if we pull off a couple of signings I'm pretty optimistic about the rest of the season. I'm honestly not fussed if we don't make the 6, just get us away from that spoon lads. :overheadl:

kevrenor

Saturday, 16 January 2016
Adelaide United FC v Central Coast Mariners FC
Coopers Stadium, Hindmarsh
Kick-Off: 4:45 PM (Local) (5:15 PM (AEDT))

Referee: Matthew Conger; Assistant Referee 1: Paul Cetrangolo, Assistant Referee 2: Stephen Toth
Fourth Official: Rick Schneider

TV Broadcast: Live coverage on FOX SPORTS 505 from 5.00pm (AEDT) and Sky Sport 4 (New Zealand)
Radio Broadcast: 891 ABC Adelaide, 92.5 ABC Central Coast, ABC Local Radio SA, Grandstand Digital, online & via the ABC Radio Mobile App – A-league Live