• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R15 - AU v CCM

Wombat

I have coached and captained and I've certainly spent a fair bit of time organising a defence. I demand players on posts, but in case you needed a newsflash I'm not an A-League player, I don't play for an A-League team and I'm not an A-League coach.

My team last year had a centre-back taking goalkicks. You don't see that in the professional game either, so I'd be wary of trying to draw too many parallels.

The professional game is different.

There are arguments for playing without players on posts. There are arguments for zonal marking. There are arguments for all sorts of tactics depending on your personnel, your opposition and your game situation. That they might not work in All-Age 1 Million doesn't mean they're necessarily wrong at A-League level.

Thanks for the insight, Pep.

If its so obvious dont be an apologist and dont condone it.

adz

Staff member
Sam_and_Ralph_clock.png

Rowdy

There's *nothing* incorrect about Hutch's statement that "if you win the header having someone on the post doesn't matter"......... fundamentally it's true.

"Nothing incorrect !" ????
Ahhh ......YES there is.

A defender who wins the header has absolutely no guarantee that the direction of the ball won't be going towards his own goal.

The possibility of an 'own goal', now THAT I consider to be a fundamental in the world of Football. ;)

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Try again buck.

There's *nothing* incorrect about Hutch's statement that "if you win the header having someone on the post doesn't matter".

Well, for one it's just a pointless statement. May as well say the sky is blue.
Although with our defence, it's more like saying the sky is blue, but in Melbourne in winter. In theory it's true. But in practice it's pretty unlikely to occur ;-)
Two....it doesn't take into consideration the second touch, does it? ;-)

dibo

"Nothing incorrect !" ????
Ahhh ......YES there is.

A defender who wins the header has absolutely no guarantee that the direction of the ball won't be going towards his own goal.

The possibility of an 'own goal', now THAT I consider to be a fundamental in the world of Football. ;)
Depends on your definition of "wins" then, doesn't it. :)

Donachie got the first touch on the header in the Olyroos match the other night, but he certainly didn't win it.

Rowdy

Whether 'winning a header' or not, or ones definition of what 'winning a header' actually is ....... having a 'man on the posts' is akin to car insurance.

I have car insurance, as most others do too, not because I'm a bad driver but because of the 'what if's'. What if some fcuk knuckle runs into me.

Likewise,
What if some Jets fan steals my car.
What if some Wanderer does a drive-by & shoots up my car.

Nobody ever questions when a player who's on either post and makes a 'save' or clearance. As FP say's
because you see that player clear too many balls not to for mine - and lofted headers or what have you aside, facing away from goal, they're also positioned to see what's happening and scramble better and clear the ball when it drops awkwardly.

Whereas if there's NO-ONE on the post and it goes in for a goal its nothing BUT questions & this debate with ..... buttered:popcorn:

Luca Brasi

:popcorn:Glad to have generated some debate!
There are arguments for playing without players on posts. There are arguments for zonal marking. There are arguments for all sorts of tactics depending on your personnel, your opposition and your game situation.
Including man on man, hybrid zonal/man on man, player on near post only, player on far post only, player rotation between posts - you could write a whole book on it, probably has been in the pro license curriculum.
How about some discussion on the new signings and the potential to change tactics, selections and formations?

Gratis

I'm far less tactically educated/experienced than many on here - but would sleep a lot better with a man on the back post.
We've shipped too many goals there during set pieces, and saved too many when we've had a man there, for it not to be mandatory in my mind.
I know it's a trade off but I believe we could still counter with a man there using our current speed - the second it's cleared one or 2 sprint off to join those further up-field - and it's harder to claw back a goal than it is not to.
Just my opinion.

VicMariner

^^ Agree.
To my mind the first priority when defending a corner is not to concede. Launching a counter attack is a secondary consideration.
Guys on the posts is a bit of insurance and would lessen goals conceded.
How we are traveling in the comp atm, not shipping goals is important.
If we were top four, then ok, take chances on attack from defensive set pieces.

elevated position

I am always surprised that we don't have anyone slightly wider than the back post when we are taking a corner, so many over hit balls and clearing headers that go astray and to be able to attack the incoming ball. (Patrick made many a run where he would peel off and be behind the defence so he was facing the goal and incoming ball)

Gratis

I am always surprised that we don't have anyone slightly wider than the back post when we are taking a corner, so many over hit balls and clearing headers that go astray and to be able to attack the incoming ball. (Patrick made many a run where he would peel off and be behind the defence so he was facing the goal and incoming ball)
For sure - whenever I watch games with my father in law he brings it up - it's his pet hate

Big Al

Kozzie and Bozza were talking about it.

Kozzie says he discusses with his Keeper to see what way they want to go.

Bozza said he always did what the boss wanted. His argument was if you don't have someone on the back stick and the ball went in. The coach dropped you for conceding anyway.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
So...thats the Reds with a win...it might be just me but the first half was particularly dreary, we couldnt connect our passes, mind, Delayed werent having a easy time of it either...I honestly thought they might wipe the floor with us BUT nup, also, how bad was the ground, that was beyond bloody awful, certainly wouldnt of helped with ball control...I'm a technical moron so I can offer no input into the back post debate so I wont....speaking of the goal mouth, Ally Bray done alright, between him and Tinker we should be good for keeper positions for a bit....at least until Mike sells one or both anyway.
Drive bys next ...who knows we may very well be enthused with Garcia incoming and the boys may wallop them...but a draw will do

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred