• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Pre-Season games 2017/18

midfielder

Some positive aspects about tonights hit out.

1stThird.

The most exciting was the quality of Baro and Rowles. These guys are real good players. We haven't had intelligent defenders like this since Dutchy.

The Goal was quality Football.
Hoole is a livewire and Rosebud played well and looked confident. Also Hoole takes excellent corners so that was lovely to see.

DeSilva is lively and has alot of potential but is underdone atm.

2nd Third

We went backwards. Pain had some good moments but Meh overall. McGing did Ok but still prone to brain farts.
Bingham was wasteful again.
Hokoah's keeper was outstanding.

3rd Third

This was for the Youth players and one trialist Stojanovski. The trailist would not be signed on that performance. Having said that Appiah and Berry would have a line through their names if they were trialists.

Marques looks good but didnt have much to do.
Wales was excellent and looks a much better player than Berry who was poor tonight.
Kekeris was very good and maybe shaded Pain on tonights showing.

All the others others were average and Stewart and the little bloke in the middle were less than average.

We desperately need a striker as Bingham is not clinical at all and Stewart is a big unit but many levels below Bingham.

At times the Football was very good. Both Hokoah's keepers were excellent and the 1st keeper who came off after 5 min of 3rd game was clapped off by the Mariners fans.

On last night performance I would sign their keeper unbelievable game...

Kekeris reminds me of weeMac when he first came if he continues last nights form he will IMO be hard to keep out of the first 11..

No 27 last night played in more a 10 role but floated a bit had excellent touch and his positioning was excellent...

Rowles gives us an interesting problem... on last nights game he looked a first team player ... rumour is we are going to sign another CB and at marquee level... maybe we could take some of that money and get a better striker we certainty need one.

Yoda

No 27 last night played in more a 10 role but floated a bit had excellent touch and his positioning was excellent...
Lachie Wales - Terrigal junior, played 5 or 10 minutes last season against, maybe, Melbourne Victory.

Bladesman

I have to say last night has left me a little worried, especially for next weeks game, we still look under done.

There were a few good performances as people have mentioned, the best performance by far though was their 1st keeper.

We look very gun shy going forward and our finishing let us down. Lots of good passing and movement in the build up but we will struggle to open up A-League defences.

De Silva look very out of touch with the rest of the team always seemed to be moving in the opposite direction of play and was easily pushed off the ball.

We are still lacking height and players to attack corners, either theirs or ours so think we will still struggle here.

Pearce appears to be a very angry man!

Plus side I thought a lot of the academy boys looked good in the 3rd period, so some promise coming through.

Fingers crossed for a couple more good signings to strengthen the squad.

Fishsdad

Rowles gives us an interesting problem... on last nights game he looked a first team player ... rumour is we are going to sign another CB and at marquee level... maybe we could take some of that money and get a better striker we certainty need one.

To paraphrase a well known writer, "One great game does not a season make". While I'm really excited by Rowles we cannot expect him to perform the same way against the likes of MV, Sydney FC etc, whose players will put far more pressure on him than did the Hakoah players.

Our current squad is still thin, and if either Baro or Hiariej (or heaven forbid, both) are injured we are back where we were in previous seasons.

I think Rowles is one for the future, but we absolutely need another strong central defender for this season.

Wombat

I was expecting nothing much from this bloke but it was the best defensive debut I have seen from a Mariner.
Certainly better than Tesco and look how good he turned out to be.
I need to see more but it was a VERY impressive start.
He looked vastly superior to Golec who looks better than Harry and MCGing as a CB.

Last edited:

priorpeter

The blokes near me called him Jimmy. Never seen him before.
Pearce played first 2 thirds. Marques is a fair bit smaller....unless the Beer and Bourbon affected my vision (possible)

Very possible - was definitely Pearce for the entire 90!

Wombat

You 100% sure Pete???????
I did have someone talking into my ear heavily in the final third but the tall angry man (Pearce) looked to have been replaced by a smaller keeper who i assumed was Marques. It would also be rather stupid not to give him a third in a trial game??
You sure you didnt drink more beer and bourban than me??
Anyway Pearce looked decent although he didnt have to deal with much really.

priorpeter

You 100% sure Pete???????
I did have someone talking into my ear heavily in the final third but the tall angry man (Pearce) looked to have been replaced by a smaller keeper who i assumed was Marques. It would also be rather stupid not to give him a third in a trial game??
You sure you didnt drink more beer and bourban than me??
Anyway Pearce looked decent although he didnt have to deal with much really.

Yeah definitely Pearce in for the full 90 - I was sober for this one! Confirmed by the club:

pjennings

We have a behind-closed-doors trial match will the Jets on Wednesday 26 July 2017. I suspect that Paolo may play his strongest available side for part of this. So far he seems to have only ever had 4 to 6 of the best available team on at the same time.

It will be interesting to see how the defence goes against a HAL level team and see if we can manage to score given Bingers is struggling with confidence and our main striker is yet to be signed.

We still have 3 or 4 players to come, who given the cap space still left, should be first team players but the FFA Cup match is coming up fast and we need to be able to score more freely than we have in the last two games.

bikinigirl

So far he seems to have only ever had 4 to 6 of the best available team on at the same time.

. really?

. i thought the starting 11 on Wednesday night was pretty close to the starting 11. substitute Tom for McGing ... and what? Kennedy in for Pearce? which other 3 to 5 substitutions would you make?

pjennings

. really?

. i thought the starting 11 on Wednesday night was pretty close to the starting 11. substitute Tom for McGing ... and what? Kennedy in for Pearce? which other 3 to 5 substitutions would you make?

So far he seems to have only ever had 4 to 6 of the best available team on at the same time.

Yes - maybe a bit of poetic license there. :oops: :oops::oops: Probably should have said 6 of what I expect come round 1. Then I expect to see Tommy, Baro, Roux, Hoole, De Silva & Pain in the first XI. I would expect a new keeper, striker and CB to come in. Liam will probably line up next to Tommy. That leaves Rowles, Josh and Golec fighting for the remaining LB spot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami