• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Players Season 2012/2013 HAL8

dibo

...and the fact Arnie is looking to bring in an experienced striker from Scotland...

Curious choice of words - who is this striker, and on what source do you rest your claim that it's a fact that Arnie wants him here?

scottmac

Suspended
Curious choice of words - who is this striker, and on what source do you rest your claim that it's a fact that Arnie wants him here?

trust you to let a word get in the way of a good story <_<

fixed. have another look.

bikinigirl

. so how are we going with squad numbers

. i assume the recently signed kiddies (excepting rogic) won't count towards this seasons cap/player quota ... signing for future seasons and the acl. but they can still play for the first team as members of this year's nyl squad. is my logic correct?

. regardless it seems there will be a few changes to fit people in for next season

MrCelery

More on Oates...

Mariners sign up Oates
Manly Daily
25 JAN 12 @ 04:55PM BY ANDREW PRENTICE

MANLY United FC wingback Jimmy Oates has signed a professional contract with the Central Coast Mariners.

The 20-year-old received the good news last week from his former coach at Cromer Park, Phil Moss, who is Graham Arnold’s off-sider at Gosford.

“Mossy gave me a buzz and asked if I was sitting down,” Oates said.

“It was a massive relief, all the hard work I put in has paid off.

“Now it is up to me to keep improving so I can break into the first team.”

Oates, who is equally comfortable in the midfield, earned a one-season deal commencing in May after a number of big showings in the National Youth League.

“I have been with the club two years and, obviously, playing first-team soccer was my long-term goal,” he said.

“The Mariners have been brilliant, they made me (national youth) captain, which was fantastic.

“We are travelling well, we will be in the semis and are currently top of the league.”

Oates will also be added to the Mariners’ Asian Champions League squad.

“Potentially getting a game overseas would be awesome,” he said.

“Obviously I can’t play for Manly now this winter (in the NSW Premier League), but everyone at the club has been great, they are supportive and know this is where I want to be.”

Article in Manly Daily

shipwreck

Signing a new player is always exciting, if for no reason than to distract the defenders who will be paying him extra attention as an unknown quantity

garlo

Quick question ...solorzano ??? What are your thoughts ? Disappointing for him ..thought he was great at roar but either hasn't been given a chance or there an ego clash at melb ..anyone know anything ? Would you guys like him up front for us ?

marinermick

Quick question ...solorzano ??? What are your thoughts ? Disappointing for him ..thought he was great at roar but either hasn't been given a chance or there an ego clash at melb ..anyone know anything ? Would you guys like him up front for us ?

No, slow as a wet week and not a hard enough worker

Forum Phoenix

Lots of great news.

Oates is a right sided wingback yes? (Thinking about possible Pedj implications here) Do you really sign two RB cover players if you think you will be keeping him? But hey, all this youth coming through, maybe they can scrape enough together to keep Pedj? He's huge for us.

Sutton is exciting, because it's ALWAYS exciting to be signing a new striker. And with the exception of players who he used to know/like such as Baird and Musialik, GA has proven a very shrewd judge of players. Mc Breen is playing best at CAM and Bernie/Kwas need a physical partner. Add Duke and going to be great competition for up front which is a welcome relief after Matty's move.

But what makes me most excited is our youth policy. The lack of interest in outside players unless they are something special or otherwise we will look to be promoting form youth is for me as an Australian Football supporter what it's all about. I love Harry, but would I rather watch Matty Ryan or Amini's rise in comparison? NO contest.

dibo

What's wrong with Musialik? He's destroying in the Youth and would stroll in to the starting lineup at any other club.

Atomic

All this talk on the forum about John Sutton is exciting but apart from a couple of UK newspaper articles, has anyone heard anything from the club about being interested in an overseas striker (or non-ccm youth for that matter)? Usually there is a forumite who has a mate of a mate that knows someone... but so far - duck egg.

I was under the impression that we had $0. I cant see how we can start spending money on overseas players.

scottmac

Suspended
All this talk on the forum about John Sutton is exciting but apart from a couple of UK newspaper articles, has anyone heard anything from the club about being interested in an overseas striker (or non-ccm youth for that matter)? Usually there is a forumite who has a mate of a mate that knows someone... but so far - duck egg.

I was under the impression that we had $0. I cant see how we can start spending money on overseas players.

The column said it was a loan so only wages no transfer yet.

pjennings

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/mariners-close-to-loan-deal-for-scotlandbased-sutton-20120126-1qjsi.html

Mariners close to loan deal for Scotland-based Sutton Sebastian Hassett
January 27, 2012

CENTRAL COAST coach Graham Arnold has moved quickly to fill the void left by striker Matt Simon as forward John Sutton from Scottish Premier League side Hearts looks set to take a four-month loan deal with the Mariners.

The paperwork won't be completed until Monday at the earliest, meaning the 28-year-old journeyman won't be available for tonight's match against Gold Coast United at Skilled Park.

Sutton - the younger brother of former England striker Chris Sutton - has been frozen out of first-team action at Tynecastle by Hearts manager Paulo Sergio after joining the Edinburgh club on a free transfer in May. Sutton has scored just three goals for the Jambos this season, but his earlier spell at SPL club Motherwell was more prolific, scoring 32 goals in 98 games.

Advertisement: Story continues below Arnold believes Sutton could prove the ideal replacement for Simon, who has joined K-League side Chunnam Dragons, as the 188-centimetre striker is known in Britain for his robust approach.

''It's no secret that the loss of Matty Simon was a surprise for us but while we're covering well for him now, with the heavy program that we've got ahead of us, I'd like another set of legs,'' Arnold said. ''There's no real strikers available here in Australia and we're just looking around to see what there is available regards to a similar player to Simon.

''Bernie Ibini will also be off with the Olympic team for at least a month and then another game in March, plus Michael Baird left for Malaysia, so we definitely need another striker who can be with us for the rest of the season, the finals and then our Asian Champions League campaign.

''We're certainly deep in discussions with John at the moment and while we've got our own salary-cap restrictions that need to be looked at, I'm confident we can get it done.''

A former England under-16 international, Sutton came through the youth ranks at Tottenham Hotspur but never cracked the top flight in England, instead playing for lower-league clubs Carlisle, Swindon, Millwall and Wycombe. Sutton's best form has come in Scotland, where he impressed at Raith Rovers, Dundee and St Mirren, scoring freely at each and attracting interest from Manchester City and Celtic.

''He's a very similar player in style to Billy Mehmet at Perth Glory,'' Arnold said. ''He's mobile, he's strong, he's a real goal scorer and a traditional No. 9, which is very different to what I've got, which is three strikers who are quick and don't play so much with their back to goal. It means … we've got different personnel to change our style of play.''

The deal appears to be a bargain for the Mariners, as Hearts have been looking to cut their wage bill during the January transfer window and are happy for Central Coast to take on Sutton's contract.

The Mariners arrived on the Gold Coast yesterday and have been reassured tonight's match will go ahead despite concerns about the drenching the region received this week. Only one change will be made to the team that defeated Adelaide 3-2 last weekend; John Hutchinson's suspension means Oliver Bozanic will start at left-midfield.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/mariners-close-to-loan-deal-for-scotlandbased-sutton-20120126-1qjsi.html#ixzz1kbsvODLx

Now - if he can teach Bernie to head the ball while he is here that would be really handy.

scottmac

Suspended
What's wrong with Musialik? He's destroying in the Youth and would stroll in to the starting lineup at any other club.

Yeah, thats what he'd do.......... after his real impressive spell at Sydney :rolleyes:

How many youth games has he played again?

dibo

He's played four games I think. We've won all four.

Musialik was (I think) Sydney's best last year. He consistently won the ball and distributed it effectively, in stark contrast to most of his teammates and especially his captain.

He's a very tidy player who doesn't get the plaudits he deserves because nobody seems to like holding midfielders - they're not as exciting as attacking mids and they aren't as heroic as central defenders, they just amble around playing pass after simple pass and setting the tempo for the side. Our biggest hateboys (that actually played - I'm excluding sicknote Mrdja) over the years have been Hutch and Spencer - two DMs. Musialik was a hateboy at Sydney, largely because they didn't understand what they got from him.

There was one midweek game against the furries I went to last year with some Sydney supporting mates, and Musialik was incredible in a losing side - he won so much ball and distributed it so effectively, and you know what I heard all around me? "Kick it forward" "Stop passing sideways" "Why are you going backwards" etc. All the while they'd cheer if Foxe or Keller or whatever other numpties were playing would kick the ball to the corner flag and hand it over to the opposition...

midfielder

Dibo

I agree with your overall assessment of Musialik ... who do we drop either from the bench or the starting side... its a good position to be in but getting into our first 11 is getting hard and as has been mentioned many times on the forum GA went for making the squad strong rather than looking for new players in the starting 11, with our schedule latter in the year we may have even more reason to be impressed with GA...

scottmac

Suspended
He's played four games I think. We've won all four.

Musialik was (I think) Sydney's best last year. He consistently won the ball and distributed it effectively, in stark contrast to most of his teammates and especially his captain.

He's a very tidy player who doesn't get the plaudits he deserves because nobody seems to like holding midfielders - they're not as exciting as attacking mids and they aren't as heroic as central defenders, they just amble around playing pass after simple pass and setting the tempo for the side. Our biggest hateboys (that actually played - I'm excluding sicknote Mrdja) over the years have been Hutch and Spencer - two DMs. Musialik was a hateboy at Sydney, largely because they didn't understand what they got from him.

There was one midweek game against the furries I went to last year with some Sydney supporting mates, and Musialik was incredible in a losing side - he won so much ball and distributed it so effectively, and you know what I heard all around me? "Kick it forward" "Stop passing sideways" "Why are you going backwards" etc. All the while they'd cheer if Foxe or Keller or whatever other numpties were playing would kick the ball to the corner flag and hand it over to the opposition...

At his best, I agree that he is a decent player. But last year i'd have to say that he was far from his best. To me its no surprise that without him in the midfield Carle is looking like a better player. He seemed lazy and disinterested last year. Is that more a reflection on him or Lavicka? Not sure, but I am sure that Arnie will give him the chance to play again come ACL time in a team with a system & personnel that suits him much better than the one he played in last year.

Would he walk into any midfield in the league? Not a chance. He'd struggle to get into any of them.

Wombat

At his best, I agree that he is a decent player. But last year i'd have to say that he was far from his best. To me its no surprise that without him in the midfield Carle is looking like a better player. He seemed lazy and disinterested last year. Is that more a reflection on him or Lavicka? Not sure, but I am sure that Arnie will give him the chance to play again come ACL time in a team with a system & personnel that suits him much better than the one he played in last year.

Would he walk into any midfield in the league? Not a chance. He'd struggle to get into any of them.

Harsh.

I'm tipping he is at least as good as Hutcho and probably a fair bit better. I will judge once I see him in yellow but I think he will prove a very decent short term signing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred