• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Perth Glory V Central Coast Mariners

Melange

We lost control and shape and had to do a lot of reactionary defending in the last 20, but I take a lot of solace that they were so frustrated with our central defending and the tight marking of their strikers that they resorted to cross after cross, 30 in all.

This is a team with players like Castro/Kilkenny who are more than capable of picking teams apart with dangerous through balls and they did for a while. They do have good target men for crosses, but I saw it as a sign that they'd run out of ideas against our defense.

Last edited:

marinermick

Couple of random thoughts:

- DDS has to take more set pieces. We look much more dangerous when he is pin pointing them in.
- We looked vulnerable with the early cross. Perth used this increasingly in the second half and often our defenders were on the wrong side of their player. Perth also scored from this tactic. Wonder if we will see teams try this on us in future weeks.
- Garcia messed up last night. Castro playing a full game might have made a big difference.

finally retired

- DDS has to take more set pieces. We look much more dangerous when he is pin pointing them in.
- We looked vulnerable with the early cross. Perth used this increasingly in the second half and often our defenders were on the wrong side of their player. Perth also scored from this tactic. Wonder if we will see teams try this on us in future weeks.
- Garcia messed up last night. Castro playing a full game might have made a big difference.
Yes......DDS is far far better at set pieces (including corners) than Clisby. DDS hits the man he's targeting. Clisby's are very often over/under-hit
"Wonder if we will see teams try this on us in future weeks."......now that you've told all the opposition coaches who read this forum for in depth analysis, you can be sure they will.

midfielder

Big four weeks coming up.. with Cows, Glory & Heartless all predicted to be in the top 4 and a wounded MV can also be dangerous ...

Our next four games…
Cows at Gosford
Glory at Gosford
Heartless in Melbourne
MV at Gosford

Huddo

I dunno, I think Garcia underestimated the defensive structure, but also wanted to keep Castro fresh for the second half noting they have 3 game in 10 days, so as to make the most impact, the goals just put pressure on him to change the plan.

pjennings

I'm not sure that Garcia determined that it might be advantageous to bring on his attacking subs in the second half as he did against Brisbane as a way to negate Kuol's effect when he comes on. In that respect it worked a treat as we were more concerned with defence than trying to feed Alou. If we had not capitalise in the first half it could have been a different game.

true believer

interesting , i think the player that misses stens the most is nizzy .
stens allows nizzy to attack more with dds and this drives other teams midfielders ,
to derangement. something like getting swamped by biting insects in the amazon jungle .

looking forward to next monday

Huddo

Noting that was kuol's 4th yellow, will the supernsub be held if we go ahead vs macarther, to save him for Perth?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Noting that was kuol's 4th yellow, will the supernsub be held if we go ahead vs macarther, to save him for Perth?
Might be wise to do just that, unless we desperately need him.

He doesn't even earn useful yellow cards....

then after the first 5 card suspension, how many yellow is it for the next one?

Forum Phoenix

Amazing that we can back up three games in 8 days and then almost come undone because of fatigue like that... that's easily the least "fit" we've looked all year, a combination of an extended break and the day before travel I guess. Which for COVID reason is understandable. But the space n the second half was criminal and I'm sure when they watch the replay they're going to be very happy with the result but be very disappointed in their second half performance. Conceded one (for mine offside) goal but we owe Birra and our backline our three points as well as the whole teams willingness to block everything and scramble.

To be honest, unlike any other game this season, I don't think we could have complained if they ran over us that half and we lost. And not only did we give miles of space and lose our shape, our composure in the final third second half was just awful. Though DDS was immense throughout. On balance that second half was easily the worst football we've played all year, yet we still could have/ should have scored a couple and we managed for the most part to keep out the most stacked attack in the league.

Re comments on Nisbet, he did not offer much going forward, but he got through an absolute mountain of the boring work essential to nullifying Perth's attack.

Staj got the subs wrong imo and we got lucky. But how could he have expected that level of fatigue from a team that had shown such amazing fitness previously.

Anyway. Whatever way you dissect it, have to be bloody happy to get three points and go four clear.

finally retired

Google says :)
"5.2 FFA must specify that a Player who accumulates a certain number of Yellow Cards during the course of the A-League must serve a mandatory match suspension.
5.3 Further to clause 5.2, unless otherwise specified in the A-League competition rules, a Player who accumulates the following number of Yellow Cards during the course of the Regular Season, must serve the following mandatory match suspensions:
(a) for the period commencing from the Player’s Club’s first A-League Match to the Player’s Club’s 21st A-League Match of the Regular Season, five (5) Yellow Cards equates to a Mandatory Match Suspension one (1) match suspension; and
(b) irrespective of whether a Player has received a Mandatory Match Suspension of one (1) match suspension under clause 5.3(a), eight (8) Yellow Cards during the Regular Season equates to a Mandatory Match Suspension of one (1) A-League Match suspension.
For every three (3) Yellow Cards thereafter, a Mandatory Match Suspension of one (1) A-League Match.

scottmac

Suspended
Amazing that we can back up three games in 8 days and then almost come undone because of fatigue like that... that's easily the least "fit" we've looked all year, a combination of an extended break and the day before travel I guess. Which for COVID reason is understandable. But the space n the second half was criminal and I'm sure when they watch the replay they're going to be very happy with the result but be very disappointed in their second half performance. Conceded one (for mine offside) goal but we owe Birra and our backline our three points as well as the whole teams willingness to block everything and scramble.

To be honest, unlike any other game this season, I don't think we could have complained if they ran over us that half and we lost. And not only did we give miles of space and lose our shape, our composure in the final third second half was just awful. Though DDS was immense throughout. On balance that second half was easily the worst football we've played all year, yet we still could have/ should have scored a couple and we managed for the most part to keep out the most stacked attack in the league.

Re comments on Nisbet, he did not offer much going forward, but he got through an absolute mountain of the boring work essential to nullifying Perth's attack.

Staj got the subs wrong imo and we got lucky. But how could he have expected that level of fatigue from a team that had shown such amazing fitness previously.

Anyway. Whatever way you dissect it, have to be bloody happy to get three points and go four clear.
I can see where people are worried that we lost our shape in the second half, however we did keep pushing for a third goal on the counter which drew our forwards and midfielders up the park. It look like a definite plan to continue to seek goals while they had the ascendancy. Another day and better finishing we could have won that by 4 goals even with the ragged defending. We only had to make 1 save. I haven't seen a better organised defence than ours in the league yet. The video review of this game will help that go to the next level.

Big Al

I can see where people are worried that we lost our shape in the second half, however we did keep pushing for a third goal on the counter which drew our forwards and midfielders up the park. It look like a definite plan to continue to seek goals while they had the ascendancy. Another day and better finishing we could have won that by 4 goals even with the ragged defending. We only had to make 1 save. I haven't seen a better organised defence than ours in the league yet. The video review of this game will help that go to the next level.
Was almost crazy how far up the pitch and how many we had late in the game. It was not smart as opened us right up and we were already tired but we also butchered some really good chances and one of those would have killed them off. I think we would be very disappointed in our performance in the second half and would be looking to score a few against them at home

AuzDutchy

Travelling to Perth this week was our only long away trip of the year, we only play Perth twice this year, Brisbane twice as well, with no Wellington trip either, we are really setup well for the rest of the season.

true believer

Might be wise to do just that, unless we desperately need him.

He doesn't even earn useful yellow cards....

then after the first 5 card suspension, how many yellow is it for the next one?
it's kuol's nature he's so flat out . it's something you don't want him to hold back .
he'll learn a balance .
i also believe he also has been targeted . the one he got for the fire chickens on delvin i think he makes
minimal contact .devlin rolls around ,then jumps to his feet once the yellow is given .
this is probably another reason staj doesn't want to start him yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred