• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Paul in or out no fence sitting

Paul’s position

• Total voters

bikinigirl

I'm not a fan of the article either but this isn't correct - he is actually right here. I can't count the number of the times we've failed to put away a goal when it was begging.

. i have to challenge this line of thinking:
  • 'the last pass*' doesn't even allow for the final shot so still a bit of work to do
  • we are still never going to score all of our opportunities - which are actually not that many
  • there is an opposition out there that are normally creating even more chances (which they are not converting either)
  • every side misses gilt edged opportunities and i reckon our opposition actually misses more than we do (whether the defense plays a part in both cases or not)
* unless the intention is to pass it into the net ... but we are rarely close enough to do that anyway

Last edited:

Timmah

. i have to challenge this line of thinking:
  • 'the last pass*' doesn't even allow for the final shot so still a bit of work to do
  • we are still never going to score all of our opportunities - which are not actually not that many
  • there is an opposition out there that are normally creating even more chances (which they are not converting either)
  • every side misses gilt edged opportunities and i reckon our opposition actually misses more than we do (whether the defense plays a part in both cases or not)
* unless the intention is to pass it into the net ... but we are rarely close enough to do that anyway
Not one of those points proves what I said wrong, just provides a different context.

Ozhammer

Strike me bandy! So he has finally woken up to the fact that the players needed to work harder in training two weeks ago has he?

Why have a first class strength and conditioning coach (who I understand is actually more highly qualified than Okon) if you are not going to let him do his job properly?

I had better say no more for fear of being accused of a biased agenda but I think the facts are beginning to speak for themselves.

Woollybutt

I haven't read through all the comments yet, so some of those might make me change my mind later, but it's re-sign for me. I think he's doing the best he can with an owner that makes the players pay for their own water. Okon's a terrible communicator (with the public anyway, I get the impression he's slightly better one on one with players), inexperienced, and stubborn, but he's a good recruiter (only Asdrubal's really been a failure), clearly inspires loyalty in guys like De Silva and Melling, and the game plan showed potential earlier in the season/when we play Sydney. Plus we gave him control over the direction of the youth team. Letting your coach reshape the academy in his own way only to let him leave after two seasons would be reckless and irresponsible by the club. We don't have the money to waste it on backroom clear outs and new appointments every couple of years.

As I see it, we need a coach who can attract good players for less than they're worth and who can improve inferior players to the point that they play at A-League standard. Okon's got a good record on the first (De Silva, Brama, Hiariej, Baro), and the improvements made by Appiah, McGing, Golec, and even Melling recently suggest to me he's capable of doing the second. What I don't think he's capable of is creating an environment or a culture where every player wants to buy in to get the benefits of that coaching, which is why talented players like Liam Rose and Hoole have stagnated. If that's true, then it's a massive issue that we need to fix as soon as possible. Getting a coach in who can do those two things as well as creating a strong all-for-one culture would be brilliant, but I can't see us attracting a coach who can do those key things better. Maybe Mori if he could be convinced to leave Adelaide, but I'm not sure on that.

I think the best we can do is back Okon to improve in the same way we back young players to improve. Maybe get an assistant or a DoF in who can build that culture (Mile Sterjovski would be my pick), or chuck money at Wilko to try to build it from within the playing squad (or offer Jedinak marquee wages after the World Cup), or maybe ask Charlesworth to actually treat the players as professionals.

Coastalraider

Heres a little point to add into the equation:

Players very often enjoy working with and are comfortable with coaches who do not challenge them.

Coastalraider

That wasn't said about Arnie, nearly every player he has worked with loves him.

No he didn't, and I'm not saying its exclusive by any means.

But if you were a gen Y player, and had always dreamed of playing pro football - playing under Paulo at the Mariners wouldn't be a bad gig. Low training volumes, game time you wouldn't receive anywhere else in the Aleague, always a group of young lads to have drinks with....

Coastalraider

I still think he is potentially a very good coach - but I dont think he suits this teams limitations.

His lack of flexibility with game plan is even more of a concern given Shauns recent comments that Mike is driving a focus on the development pathways. This game plan might work with the right players on the pitch, but the right players for this style cost money.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

The question is if we lose him who do we replace him with? Would we be better off putting more money towards a better coach or a better striker?

Insertnamehere

IMO. Idon't see PO having many better options than us. He's too green and has shown it. MC has given him a long leash to make wholesale changes from bottom to top re the squad. So if a contract is on the table I foresee him taking it.
If he does go, look at Arthur Papas, Gary Phillips, maybe Aurelio Vidmar, at a stretch Milicic. Maybe someone foreign but couldn't and anyone.

Timmah

IMO. Idon't see PO having many better options than us. He's too green and has shown it. MC has given him a long leash to make wholesale changes from bottom to top re the squad. So if a contract is on the table I foresee him taking it.
If he does go, look at Arthur Papas, Gary Phillips, maybe Aurelio Vidmar, at a stretch Milicic. Maybe someone foreign but couldn't and anyone.
What if Sydney FC shop for him?

Insertnamehere

What if Sydney FC shop for him?
Why would they though? Like I said IMO he's too green, unproven and unsuccessful. They picked up GA after proving his worth.
In fact I'd go so far as to say what players have actually improved under his tutelage? Golec maybe the only one with an enhanced reputation.

Last edited:

Big Al

Why would they though? Like I said IMO he's too green, unproven and unsuccessful. They picked up GA after proving his worth.
In fact I'd go so far as to say what players have actually improved under his tutelage? Golec maybe the only one with an enhanced reputation.
Good statement but you can’t forget Appiah in players to improve under Okon.:D

There is article on foxsports about DDS starting well then dropping off then it talks about our game but who has improved?

Maybe McGing and has Golec improved under Paul or before him?

I can tell you hasn’t
TBT
Hoole
Bingham
L Rose
K Rowles
Pain

Gratis

I don't have a lot of knowledge of local or available coaching options, but if we need a new coach i'd like to see Papas or Mori given a shot. or Kewell if he'd be interested

Insertnamehere

I don't have a lot of knowledge of local or available coaching options, but if we need a new coach i'd like to see Papas or Mori given a shot. or Kewell if he'd be interested
Forgot Mori. He knows the club of old too plus his managerial time since retiring. Kewell is gunning for The Kop he ain't coming back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred