• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Paul in or out no fence sitting

Paul’s position

• Total voters

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I listened to it, I'm pretty sure he was just talking about that current period coming off the 'summer of football' BS when he was saying they've only had buggar all time for tactics.

Forum Phoenix

Really dont want us to go along the path of changing Coaches regularly (aka Smurfs & Jest)
We havent had the results we all crave for, but generally our game play has been matching it with most of the Big Team$$$$. With the budget these other Clubs spend of course their players should be high quality and that is usually the difference between us and them.
We have the basis for a good solid squad. We are mostly competitive but just don't bang in the chances that are presented. We have all seen the glaring missed chances, PO can't score them for the players
The team needs a few other key positions covered especially a consistent striker or two, but these are going to be governed by the man holding the cheque book.
I believe PO deserves another season, but if MC wants bums on seats, he needs to be able to provide PO with the players he needs by spending close to the cap at least, a team winning more often creates that culture. Rocket science really ( pardon the pun)
MC has railed in our budget deficit very well, but the next stage is to have the team perform on the park and win the fans back. This will provide the boost needed through the turnstiles.

This ^^^ and a few other pro Okon posts - also factoring in his positive recruitment - really was me until after last weeks game and Ozhammer tipped the balance of my other concerns and why I'm now Okon out until convinced otherwise... I've stated what I thought are the Okon pro's many times on here. So here ay my cons.
  • I always thought from NT days Okon was a hard ass, and Ozhammer has gone a long way to convincing me that there has been some nonsense around keeping his authority at all costs. He made a good case and that seems to fit. But even if not true. All the following are. And I have not included anything that I think is beyond his control like squad spend.
  • His weird lack of passion last few weeks.
  • The way we attack and recycle the ball too slowly and too often - this late in - that's all on him.
  • His persisting with Storm.
  • His persisting with Powell over Skapetis.
  • Not giving Bingham or TBT a chance up top and instead deciding that the only other option was Kubi who has hands down one of the worst scoring records in the entire HAL for an attacking player.
  • His persistence with Kubi up top long after he demonstrated what should have already been obvious, the fact that he cannot score.
  • Being too late to sub especially when the rhythm obviously changes to our opponent or players are clearly done, but they actually have to collapse with cramp or get injured if they're not the one they were thinking they'd be subbing.
  • Defensive players coming on when we're chasing games while TBT doesn't get on.
  • Dismissing Hutch without even a conversation - never sat well.
  • Releasing Monty who would have seen our midfield remain dominant even when we lost a Ducthy (which has been a lot) and things like the DDS as DM experiment never would have had to happen.
  • His lack of tactical flexibility despite losing or being outplayed. I mean even just for 10 minutes every now and then at least a simple: ok boys everyone in this damn league thinks they know exactly how we play (and they bloody well do) so they try and set up precisely how to stop us (and they bloody well do -- except for Sydney - who on pride won't change against us, so have fallen victim to our dutch masters and lost the midfield battle twice) So here's the thing, at my signal, for ten minutes, no more recycling it, or playing out and back to keeper all the time... we just close our lines and sit tight when we lose it, and just like those bogans up the road, as soon as they turn it over you play as direct as you can and we'll hurt them with our pace - and then if and when they start to adapt or drop, the space will be back in the middle and Danny should be able to receive the ball in decent areas again and not forced to turn so much, and we can try and mount the Arsenal style attack I'm so hooked on and we can try and pass the ball all the way into the net.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

. what really got me was on the recent podcast where Okon spoke about the training load:
  • four sessions a week (recovery, conditioning, two pre-game sessions)
  • each session only seemed to be a few hours
  • sessions started early morning
  • 25 minutes a week was dedicated to tactics
. no wonder kids want to be professional footballers ... sounds like a good gig
. one problem could be that as the coach heads back home to Western Sydney for lunch the team are left to fill their spare time as they choose to enjoy it rather than working on ... umm, their profession

I still can't believe that's true?? Cannot get my head around it for one and I listened to the pod and did not have that clearly in my mind as a takeaway. Said as much on here and think I got multi disagrees or some such.

As an ex athlete and still an active coach I'd hazard I understand periodisation and balancing workloads and training better than most people and I can sincerely make no sense of the above for a professional side if true.

Need a brain exploding emoji please Adz. :headbutt::santa::headbutt:

Pirate Pete

There is an article in the telegraph but it’s behind a paywall about paul defending our poor record. If someone has access csn they post the actual article
When I post the link it goes to a paywall site.
I got to it via the facebook page here.
https://www.facebook.com/CCexpressadvocate/

here's the text but there is a video on the site.

HOW CAN the Central Coast Mariners completely outplay and defeat ladder leaders Sydney FC one night, then somehow manage to concede a two goal lead against ten men on another?

It’s the question plaguing yellow and navy fans en masse, and now coach Paul Okon has addressed it in an exclusive video interview with the Express Advocate.

Speaking ahead of the club’s do-or-die clash with Wellington Phoenix on Friday night - one which may well decide who claims the wooden spoon - the former Socceroos captain addressed the state of team morale, the disappointment of recent results and the growing discontent among the fan base.

0627dd696c96379f4e307bf03ee51531

Okon spoke exclusively with the Express Advocate. Picture: Mark Brake/Getty Images
That discontent arguably reached a crescendo on Saturday night when the club snatched a draw from the jaws of victory in the city of churches.

Okon, though, believes that is all exterior.

“The playing group and the staff certainly don’t feel that,” he said.

fea8847c70ca7f9062439765db208060

The Mariners are hoping for a better result on Friday night. Picture: AAP Image/David Moir
“We strongly feel that we should have more points to show but the ladder doesn’t lie at the end.

“Right now I think it shows where we are for a reason because we haven’t been able to find that final pass or take that opportunity in the key moments.

“We haven’t been resilient.”

With his contract up at seasons’ end, finishing last is certainly not on the agenda for the 45-year-old, and that starts with a positive performance at home this week.

Big Al

When I post the link it goes to a paywall site.
I got to it via the facebook page here.
https://www.facebook.com/CCexpressadvocate/

here's the text but there is a video on the site.

HOW CAN the Central Coast Mariners completely outplay and defeat ladder leaders Sydney FC one night, then somehow manage to concede a two goal lead against ten men on another?

It’s the question plaguing yellow and navy fans en masse, and now coach Paul Okon has addressed it in an exclusive video interview with the Express Advocate.

Speaking ahead of the club’s do-or-die clash with Wellington Phoenix on Friday night - one which may well decide who claims the wooden spoon - the former Socceroos captain addressed the state of team morale, the disappointment of recent results and the growing discontent among the fan base.

0627dd696c96379f4e307bf03ee51531

Okon spoke exclusively with the Express Advocate. Picture: Mark Brake/Getty Images
That discontent arguably reached a crescendo on Saturday night when the club snatched a draw from the jaws of victory in the city of churches.

Okon, though, believes that is all exterior.

“The playing group and the staff certainly don’t feel that,” he said.

fea8847c70ca7f9062439765db208060

The Mariners are hoping for a better result on Friday night. Picture: AAP Image/David Moir
“We strongly feel that we should have more points to show but the ladder doesn’t lie at the end.

“Right now I think it shows where we are for a reason because we haven’t been able to find that final pass or take that opportunity in the key moments.

“We haven’t been resilient.”

With his contract up at seasons’ end, finishing last is certainly not on the agenda for the 45-year-old, and that starts with a positive performance at home this week.
Thanks PP.

More bury the head in the sand stuff. Very weak

Final ball. Oh my it’s nowhere’s near getting close to a final ball.

The ladder doesn’t lie i agree with

Another fluff article with no fluff

Insertnamehere

Sick of the standard line that 'we don't feel external pressure'
I fkn hope they are feeling the pressure from the fans! It's almost at pitchforks and torches stage.

Timmah

Final ball. Oh my it’s nowhere’s near getting close to a final ball
I'm not a fan of the article either but this isn't correct - he is actually right here. I can't count the number of the times we've failed to put away a goal when it was begging.

Wombat

Its a close vote. We have only be appalling for the last 3 games, before that we were OK just dumb as hell.

We had 2 coach killers...Storm and Appi. Now we have 1. Will the Coach outlast the problem child?

Ozhammer

Anyone else on here read the article on how Kewell is doing amazing things as coach of Crawley Town?

So, it can be done if you get the playing group to truly believe you have the chops to do the job.

pjennings

Yeah read that too, really surprised me I have to say.

It doesn't surprise me at all. We have all heard the stories of Craig Johnston and his hard work. For all the talent that Harry has he has never been one to shirk the hard work. As the saying goes - the harder you work the luckier you get. He wants to be a manager in the EPL. Rather than work as an assistant he has taken on a team slated for relegation from League Two and turned them into promotion contenders.

true believer

Out

The style of play has failed at youth level for years now .

Okon played so many years in europe yet is mezmerised by the possession game .

The asians have us down pat . Sit back and counter . Look at the thai game in sydney.

We need to change and okon can't . He needs to go away and rethink .

We need to change a few coaching positions as does australia .

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

It doesn't surprise me at all. We have all heard the stories of Craig Johnston and his hard work. For all the talent that Harry has he has never been one to shirk the hard work. As the saying goes - the harder you work the luckier you get. He wants to be a manager in the EPL. Rather than work as an assistant he has taken on a team slated for relegation from League Two and turned them into promotion contenders.

No issue with it but I was very surprised after the start he got off too how much he was able to turn it around and so quickly. I thought he was doomed.

bikinigirl

I listened to it, I'm pretty sure he was just talking about that current period coming off the 'summer of football' BS when he was saying they've only had buggar all time for tactics.

. i listened but on delay ... so if that was implied by the timing i would have missed it.

. from what i've heard and what we continue to see on the pitch ... 25 minutes a week seems like he was actually stretching the truth with that amount :innocent:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred