• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Next CCM Manager

JoyfulPenguin

Everyone is always learning and growing. Maybe after his sacking he has learnt from his mistakes?? He's been at different tenures in Thailand/ Malaysia the last few years and might look to us as providing some stability in work. Learning from his mistakes at Brisbane he might well prove those concerns wrong???
P.S I have no idea what the concerns were at Brisbane
Definitely, some years overseas may have helped him become a better coach. Aloisi is definitely a hell of a lot better coach now then he was at Heart. Concerns I have heard is that he isolated players and quickly lost the the dressing room. Whether that is true or not I don't know, I always thought he did well to bring Roar back on track after a rough time with Rado Vidosic. Personally I have always liked Arthur Papas and thought he has always tried his very best to improve himself and his resume. Plus some very glowing reports from former players of his that I have heard. If I was making this decision I would choose Papas but Mulvey is a good candidate as well credit to Shaun/Mike for picking a very good shortlist.

Gratis

Talking to someone in the know Mulvey's sacking from roar appears to have been political, a clash of personalities between him and someone/s in management apparently...
Of course I know basically nothing about this otherwise

Reactions: adz

finally retired

I like Papas' philosophy (from Wiki)
"Papas decided to take in the philosophy of former Australia U20 coach Jan Versleijen.[4] He wants his players to be pro-active on the pitch and for football specific training in all areas. Papas also likes to be cool and calm with his players and form a bond with them, "It's important to remain cool, calm and collected to solve problems rather than based on emotions," noted Papas. "And with players your relationship must be one of honesty and trust."[4]

Ozhammer

I would like to know the truth behind why Roar sacked him after winning a championship, as that is a bit of a red flag for me given that this appointment is as much about rebuilding our supposed internal culture as it is about improving the on-field product. That said, I didn’t dislike the type of Football he played whilst in charge at the Roar, so hopefully any rough edges he may have had have been knocked off in the last 3-4 years. In his favour, he also has prior head coach experience of the HAL, which Papas obviously doesn’t.

As to Papas, I don’t know enough about him to provide any sort of informed comment but my biggest worry would be what sort of player his name would allow the club to recruit, as he arguably wouldn’t have enough of a reputation at the higher levels of the game.

Whichever way the club ends up going, Monty needs to be the/an assistant coach for mine, just so we know a true Mariner is at the core of the group.

Big Al

I would like to know the truth behind why Roar sacked him after winning a championship, as that is a bit of a red flag for me given that this appointment is as much about rebuilding our supposed internal culture as it is about improving the on-field product. That said, I didn’t dislike the type of Football he played whilst in charge at the Roar, so hopefully any rough edges he may have had have been knocked off in the last 3-4 years. In his favour, he also has prior head coach experience of the HAL, which Papas obviously doesn’t.

As to Papas, I don’t know enough about him to provide any sort of informed comment but my biggest worry would be what sort of player his name would allow the club to recruit, as he arguably wouldn’t have enough of a reputation at the higher levels of the game.

Whichever way the club ends up going, Monty needs to be the/an assistant coach for mine, just so we know a true Mariner is at the core of the group.
Simply they started loosing and the players started fighting and arguing. Probably more about loosing the grip from success. It’s easier to sack a coach after you have won every thing as it shows a loosing is not acceptable attitude fans like over working through the issues. That said he was probably quite stubborn as well which as we just saw doesn’t work in trying times.

He certainly has the success that none of the others have at A League level that were linked and I think he fits the brief best.
Wether that can translate to the Mariners we will see.

I think Pappas would have been perfect had we not lost badly for the last couple of years.

In a dream world maybe Mulvey for two years then Pappas.

The other thing is who will be Mulvey assistant. Maybe Pappas needs to be an assistant at A League level to get through the door but i see him as more i want to be the coach even if it’s NPL over A League assistant

Forum Phoenix

Pappas for me but I think that’s more of the same. Unproven potential. Not really the brief.

Yeah I’m not very interested in ‘potential’ right now. Proven please.

We need a good season.

Mulvey is proven and to be fair, to turn us around you can’t be a wilting flower. We need a monster more than we need a nice guy. (And im not just taking it for granted he’s a monster )

Im not dancing for joy. But on our budget with our ‘heritage’ as Mourinho would say, he’s definitely a good signing.

Last edited:

localpom

Simply they started loosing and the players started fighting and arguing. Probably more about loosing the grip from success. It’s easier to sack a coach after you have won every thing as it shows a loosing is not acceptable attitude fans like over working through the issues. That said he was probably quite stubborn as well which as we just saw doesn’t work in trying times.

He certainly has the success that none of the others have at A League level that were linked and I think he fits the brief best.
Wether that can translate to the Mariners we will see.

I think Pappas would have been perfect had we not lost badly for the last couple of years.

In a dream world maybe Mulvey for two years then Pappas.

The other thing is who will be Mulvey assistant. Maybe Pappas needs to be an assistant at A League level to get through the door but i see him as more i want to be the coach even if it’s NPL over A League assistant
Mulvey would do me. He has experience in the league and has tasted success. Papas as assistant would be a great combo.....

Luca Brasi

This is the team Mulvey won the double at Brisbane with in 13/14.
Michael Theo
Ivan Franjic
Jade North
Matt Smith (c)
Shane Stefanutto
Liam Miller
Luke Brattan
Matt McKay
Dimitri Petratos
Besart Berisha
Thomas Broich
Substitutions:
Matthew Acton
James Donachie
Steven Lustica
Henrique
Jean Carlos Solórzano

Pretty decent side and 5 quality foreigners (well 4 if you only consider Solorzano's second stint).
Petratos and Donachie were the only young players in that 16 however if you look at the youth team at Brisbane at the time, he signed or worked with Jai Ingham, Brandon Borello, Devante Clut, Corey Brown, Jack Hingert, Kwame Yeboah and Ben Halloran.

If the report is accurate in saying
The Mariners will again be operating on the strictest budget in the league next year (and probably without a marquee)
then it doesnt really matter who we sign as manager, we will be in for a 5th season of shit football.

Forum Phoenix

This is the team Mulvey won the double at Brisbane with in 13/14.
Michael Theo
Ivan Franjic
Jade North
Matt Smith (c)
Shane Stefanutto
Liam Miller
Luke Brattan
Matt McKay
Dimitri Petratos
Besart Berisha
Thomas Broich
Substitutions:
Matthew Acton
James Donachie
Steven Lustica
Henrique
Jean Carlos Solórzano

Pretty decent side and 5 quality foreigners (well 4 if you only consider Solorzano's second stint).
Petratos and Donachie were the only young players in that 16 however if you look at the youth team at Brisbane at the time, he signed or worked with Jai Ingham, Brandon Borello, Devante Clut, Corey Brown, Jack Hingert, Kwame Yeboah and Ben Halloran.

If the report is accurate in saying
The Mariners will again be operating on the strictest budget in the league next year (and probably without a marquee)
then it doesnt really matter who we sign as manager, we will be in for a 5th season of shit football.

Yeah agreed Luca. Still needs the tools to work with. But if he can engineer a good season with our limits he’d probably prove himself the best coach in the HAL.

Something to fight for at least.

Wombat

He was W League manager of the year and the followed year he was HAL manager of the year. This led him to believe he could walk on water and he is a dour like a scot although he is English..................he was percieved to be hard and arrogant.
But he is a good Football mind, like Ernie at the Scum.
If we get him i think it will be a good result.

Wombat

I like Cahn, can someone please tell me what happened to him

Doing very well after he was sharfted by Okon and the Mariners. Good prospect for sure but not quite ready to guide us yet.

One of the dumb things Okon did in his reign.

VicMariner

Like others have said - I'm happy to get Mulvey, I think he is a solid coach, but our budget constraints are going to make it very, very hard for him.

However, in a salary capped league, we should be capable of making it to sixth/finals at least.

Wombat

Definitely, some years overseas may have helped him become a better coach. Aloisi is definitely a hell of a lot better coach now then he was at Heart. Concerns I have heard is that he isolated players and quickly lost the the dressing room. Whether that is true or not I don't know, I always thought he did well to bring Roar back on track after a rough time with Rado Vidosic. Personally I have always liked Arthur Papas and thought he has always tried his very best to improve himself and his resume. Plus some very glowing reports from former players of his that I have heard. If I was making this decision I would choose Papas but Mulvey is a good candidate as well credit to Shaun/Mike for picking a very good shortlist.

Mulvey v Papas.............you would have to pick Mulvey surely?

If i'm picking a novice Im looking at Cahn or Crittenden first. Having said that Papas will definately get a gig soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred