• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Merged Thread - Danny Vukovic Red Card (outcome page 42)

Andy

marinermick said:
yes, yes and yes

This would mean he would miss 8 A-League games with the season set to start on August 15. He would be available the Monday before round 9.

dibo

it's great for danny, and it's great for the club too, but it's still f**king stupid.

there is a rule that's meant to apply here - it should have applied to danny and c**tface - that sets down a minimum of 12 months suspension.

in this case they've bent it because they wanted danny to go to the olympics and in doing that they really had to trim the competition suspension as well so as to not look completely dodgy - the argument would be "he can go to the olympics because he's a good kid and we understand what happened, and as a result a HAL specific ban fits the crime, any greater punishment is too harsh."

in c**tface's case they didn't want to knock off the best player in the comp (he's a c**t, but he's still the best in the league) for a year, so they didn't consider the options they had - it was easier to hide behind a yellow card for dissent than bring on the rigmarole of a violent conduct charge/trial/suspension.

marinermick

dibo said:
it's great for danny, and it's great for the club too, but it's still f**king stupid.

there is a rule that's meant to apply here - it should have applied to danny and c**tface - that sets down a minimum of 12 months suspension.

in this case they've bent it because they wanted danny to go to the olympics and in doing that they really had to trim the competition suspension as well so as to not look completely dodgy - the argument would be "he can go to the olympics because he's a good kid and we understand what happened, and as a result a HAL specific ban fits the crime, any greater punishment is too harsh."

in c**tface's case they didn't want to knock off the best player in the comp (he's a c**t, but he's still the best in the league) for a year, so they didn't consider the options they had - it was easier to hide behind a yellow card for dissent than bring on the rigmarole of a violent conduct charge/trial/suspension.

this wasn't a FFA decision Dibo

it was a decision made by an independent panel that had no connections with the FFA

dibo

FFA have to dratify the decision, the decision has to fit within FFA's rules. if the offence is still violent conduct then *somebody* has f**ked up royally or just ignored the rules. like i argued earlier - were it a less 'important' player like a paul o'grady or a jobe wheelhouse they wouldn't get off this light.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Awesome result.  Perhaps a bit of weakness by the FFA there, but I don't think Danny or CCM could've hoped for a better result.

Despite the fact that they've bent the idea of a 12month suspension as per regulation, then further bent the existing suspension by lifting it for the Olympics, the FFA is still taking a much, much harder line on referee assault than pretty much any other national body.  Which I think is a good thing - but let's just pray that from now on it's applied consistently (and now that they were forced to take action against a single player and couldn't sweep it under the carpet, I think the FFA will be forced to display increased consistency). 

Danny's damn lucky to be given the opportunity to represent Australia at the Olympics; let's hope he takes a big lesson out of this (and I'm sure he will). 

kevrenor

Mariners welcome Vukovic decision

Central Coast Mariners Executive Chairman Lyall Gorman has welcomed the
decision of the independent appeals committee in relation to the Danny
Vukovic incident that occurred at the Hyundai A-League 2008 Grand Final.

Football Federation Australia announced today that the appeals committee
had decided on a suspension for Vukovic up to 24 June, 2008 and from 29
August through to 5 October, 2008.

Vukovic was also fined $10,000 and will have a further part of the
sentence suspended from 6 October, 2008 through to 25 January, 2009.

In effect, this means Vukovic will be ineligible to play for the
Mariners in the early rounds of the Hyundai A-League 2008/09, but will
be eligible for selection for the Australian Olympic team.

"I am delighted for Danny, who is a tremendous young man, that he is
eligible for selection for the Olympic team," said Gorman.

"Danny has put in so much effort throughout the Qantas Under 23's
qualification campaign and he is an integral part of the team, having
played every minute of all 14 qualifying games that secured Australia
their berth in Beijing.

"I know that Danny has been working vigorously to maintain sufficient
fitness and motivation to be selected for these Olympic Games should his
appeal be successful, despite the incredible emotional drain of the
judiciary process over the past two months."

Furthermore, Gorman stated that the Mariners would 'cop it on the chin'
that Vukovic is not able to play for the first seven rounds of the
Hyundai A-League 2008/09 competition, but said that was a 'fairer'
decision than Olympic Games exclusion, as the incident took place in a
Hyundai A-League match.

"The incident occurred in the Hyundai A-League Grand Final and by the
time the sentence is served, Danny will have missed in the vicinity of
25 possible matches, including seven Hyundai A-League matches," said
Gorman.

"He has expressed sincere regret and remorse at the incident and an
absolute determination to rebuild the high credibility he has always had
as a role model both on and off the field.

"I am totally confident that this incident will remain as it was at the
time as a split second emotional, while inexcusable explosion, and I
have no doubt that Danny will come out the other side as a wiser and
better footballer for the lessons that have evolved from it."

Ends

marinermick

dibo said:
FFA have to dratify the decision, the decision has to fit within FFA's rules. if the offence is still violent conduct then *somebody* has f**ked up royally or just ignored the rules. like i argued earlier - were it a less 'important' player like a paul o'grady or a jobe wheelhouse they wouldn't get off this light.

still don't see how the FFA are to blame for this

would the mariners have appealled a second time and hired one of the most respected QCs in australia if it was paul o'grady?

money gets you good lawyers who get you lower suspensions

again, not the FFA fault

marinermick

Capn Gus Bloodbeard said:
Awesome result.  Perhaps a bit of weakness by the FFA there, but I don't think Danny or CCM could've hoped for a better result.

Despite the fact that they've bent the idea of a 12month suspension as per regulation, then further bent the existing suspension by lifting it for the Olympics, the FFA is still taking a much, much harder line on referee assault than pretty much any other national body.  Which I think is a good thing - but let's just pray that from now on it's applied consistently (and now that they were forced to take action against a single player and couldn't sweep it under the carpet, I think the FFA will be forced to display increased consistency). 

Danny's damn lucky to be given the opportunity to represent Australia at the Olympics; let's hope he takes a big lesson out of this (and I'm sure he will). 

FFA didn't lift the suspension - the independent panel did

kevrenor

marinermick said:
dibo said:

still don't see how the FFA are to blame for this
would the mariners have appealled a second time and hired one of the most respected QCs in australia if it was paul o'grady?
money gets you good lawyers who get you lower suspensions
again, not the FFA fault

I blame the stupidity of one size fits all/zero tolerance bullshit!

As it is said in Pirates of Penzance (??) - Let the punishment fit the crime!

Omni

Odd method of suspension, rather bizzare BUT it does still treat the offence as serious and doesn't ruin the kid's career so that's good I suppose.

Is it just me or does that timing mean that if Australia is eliminated early Vukovic potentially plays in round 1?

dibo

Omni said:
Odd method of suspension, rather bizzare BUT it does still treat the offence as serious and doesn't ruin the kid's career so that's good I suppose.

it's making the punishment fit the PR rather than the regulations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred