• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners V Roar

scottmac

Suspended
Got the Melbourne team that isn't City next, then the return leg against the Roar with (hopefully) Kuol back at a venue where the record against Brissy is decent.

Not time to write the season off yet...
This was must win IMO. And we haven't played Brisbane at Redcliffe I don't think. We are 3rd, 3 games and only 5 points in front of roar in 7th . We run the risk of missing the finals all together and the pressure of having to win is something we've not played under all year. It's beginning to tell because Urena and Simon are the only ones who can get shots on goal

LFCMariners

This was must win IMO. And we haven't played Brisbane at Redcliffe I don't think. We are 3rd, 3 games and only 5 points in front of roar in 7th . We run the risk of missing the finals all together and the pressure of having to win is something we've not played under all year. It's beginning to tell because Urena and Simon are the only ones who can get shots on goal
Didn't they play at Redcliffe in the FFA Cup tie last season?

Ads

No replay on that possible second yellow for their left back?!

No review on a few momentum changing moments tonight.

Still think Stan needs to think outside the square. Break up their attack with subs even at 50/55min if need be.

Michael

Genuinely fearful this shit run won’t end and we’ll miss finals all together. Staj needs to trust players from the start when the XI needs a freshen up. If Nigro can’t do the 90 give Miller a start who was much better. Stens struggled but he takes off Ollie
Simon wasn’t sharp so why not throw smylie in?
the players weren’t up to it tonight but Staj made another tactical error in my opinion which compounded by the players performance. We’re going stale very very fast.

LFCMariners

Was keeping abreast of the game at home so take it with a grain of salt, but here's my 2c:

- The VAR call in the first half was correct. The ball appeared to deflect off the back of the shoulder.

- CCM were a man down for the last half an hour granted, but reading the commentary on the A-League site, on the 78th minute it notes how "bereft of energy" CCM are. Having one less player (evidently) only further underlined a problem we've seen the past few weeks, whereby Staj isn't making fresh subs early enough and CCM are lacking that energy in the closing 20 minutes or so to grab the win.

- I predicted a 1-1 draw before the game, based on the above and also recent form. Brisbane have been in good form with wins in their previous 2 matches against teams who aren't rubbish. I'd be more inclined to believe they had some sort of hex on us if their undefeated record didn't coincidentally extend back to the last time CCM were any good (2013). Had we got to play them early in the season I reckon tonight would probably have been a win

- On another football forum, somebody mentioned what a "weird" match it was. Reckons CCM controlled general play more than Brisbane and that 4-0 was "definitely not a fair scoreline"

*EDIT*

- Another poster (Roar fan) graciously mentioned that CCM "dominated the game with so much of the ball at their feet and the Roar defence just held when it mattered".

- Staj clearly needs to change up how he's using subs. If I didn't mention that already.

Brian Smith (NRL coach) once said that sometimes if you were going to get a beating, it paid to get a good one. Hopefully this is where it clicks for Staj that not making the squad rotations to close out games is costing the team and he needs to change it up ASAP. If I'm being overly optimistic, the GF against the Roar in 2011 was the making of that Graham Arnold Mariners team in terms of their mentality/ resilience and it paid off over the next two seasons. Hopefully tonights' Roar game is (similarly) enough to reinvigorate the team...

Last edited:

booney

Absolute garbage display from CCM.I doubt we will progress much further this season as now other teams have worked us out and nullify our midfield.I left at 81 minute mark so thankfully missed last two goals.
Their first goal was lucky and Champness's goal was due to poor positioning in defence and slow reaction from Birraz. I hate losing to the Orange scum and unlikely to reverse the result up there.Also might struggle against Victory next game.

Corsair

Is Staj frightened of Urena? Sick of him waiting too long to sub him. Fancy pants back heel bollocks, needed to be taken off.

I've been impressed with Staj as a coach, but his ability to recognize when to use subs is his weakness this season. Even f they're not as good a player if the guy on the pitch is cooked or getting too frustrated it's no use leaving him there. When older players get tired they get slow, when they get slow they start to foul. Take them off.

I'm glad to see Urena miss a game, it will force Staj's hand.

Pirate Pete

Kw/mwrmew.
- On another football forum, somebody mentioned what a "weird" match it was. Reckons CCM controlled general play more than Brisbane and that 4-0 was "definitely not a fair scoreline"

*EDIT*

- Another poster (Roar fan) graciously mentioned that CCM "dominated the game with so much of the ball at their feet and the Roar defence just held when it mattered".
The blokes on the radio mentioned something along the lines of....
We had more possession, but couldn't do anything with it.
Basically Roar played how we played the first few games of the season.
Not much ball, but got the goals.

Next time we play these scumbags, the first one to mention "bogey team" should get a months ban from the forum.

Anyone else notice the Roar player pull Smylies headband off while he was rolling around on the floor.
Surely a booking. Ungentlemanly conduct.

Tevor

Alarm bells anyone? Been banging on about some changes for a few weeks now.
Yep, I felt it a month ago that missing the finals was a real possibility as the 6 started to become very congested and we flat lined. I get the feeling the only achievement at the end of the season is going to be we didn’t get the spoon.

LFCMariners

Yes it was actually the 2019 FFA Cup rd 16 & we won on penalties.
Next time we play these scumbags, the first one to mention "bogey team" should get a months ban from the forum.

After Brisbane, the other team CCM had a long losing streak against was the Tards. CCM had last beaten them in the 2013 Preliminary final and in the time since while this club went to shit, they made a further 3 GF's and won 2 of them. Then at last CCM broke the "hoodoo" against them at the end of last season, just as we were coming good and they were turning to shit.

It's almost like some of these so-called "hoodoos" have everything to do with other clubs being mostly good or at least somewhat better than the rubbish CCM were between 2015 and last season.

If I was to think of a "bogey" fixture in the A-League I'd be more inclined to think of the Jest and the Roar. Because from what I recall over the years Newcastle have often got the points against Brisbane over the years regardless of form or general ladder position. But somebody who's better with the numbers and stats might be able to shed more light on this?

Last edited:

midfielder

Came out of a seminar at 8:45 and WTF...

This will test Staj, can he rebuild and get the players mind set in place...

Only seen the score so cannot comment

Wombat

I left after the 3rd Goal as we looked as likely to score as Gosford Council turning a profit. I'm pretty sure thats the only time I have ever left early.

Roun and Olli were good. Nizzy worked hard.

Our standing off was horrendous and we have become very static. I heard someone say..."The Old Mariners are back" as we walked out and that was exactly right.

1. We were bullied by a dirty side. But they were better organised than us.
2. We stood off and invited players to drive in and shoot and got punished heavily for it.
3. Our shooting was again poor.
4. Our support of the player with the ball was hot and cold.
5. We had zero spark.
6. We give away way too much ball.

We really missed Janota and Kuol when we needed spark and invention in equal measure.

The positives were Casella got some minutes and Miller is coming back into form. The other positive is Kuol gets a full 90 mins and it will force Staj to change something that isn't working anymore....Simon and Urena.

Wombat

Kw/mwrmew.

The blokes on the radio mentioned something along the lines of....
We had more possession, but couldn't do anything with it.
Basically Roar played how we played the first few games of the season.
Not much ball, but got the goals.

Anyone else notice the Roar player pull Smylies headband off while he was rolling around on the floor.
Surely a booking. Ungentlemanly conduct.
Lucky he didn't have pigtails with bows......he would have really copped it.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred