• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners V Roar

turbo

Well that was shit. Even before the second goal or red card we just didn’t look like we had a way to unlock them parking the bus. I’m yelling at the tv take a bloody shot but then when we did they were pretty poor.

Lots of reflection to be done on that. At least we should get Kuol starting

Forum Phoenix

Midfield is absolute shite. They are walking through us. And now a red. It was a great ride while it lasted but this display has put an end to it and all it took was Brisbane. Go figure
We’ve had a great year. But I do think we’re definitely in a bit of trouble in trying to realise Staj’s ACL goal.

My biggest disappointment is they absolutely out enthused us. More aggressive, hungrier and much better movement. No one should be able to out enthuse us at home. We only lifted our intensity once we went down to ten. Good to see. But has to be from the first whistle. Imo, we've forgotten who we are.

In the first ten games, NO ONE out fought us. Now we seem to think that if we just stay calm the magic will come. But without the fight and work rate, we're simply not good enough especially when we’re still using the same tactics.

We were out fought and out thought tonight. Staj has some work to do. Teams know; man handle Simmo and you probably won’t even get called for a foul and certainly not a yellow. And then he can’t hold it up or play anyone else through.

Two man press on Bozanic, most everything goes through him and he likes to turn and pick his pass. Pressure him properly and you can force turn overs and poor passes.

After their back four turns and sets you can make late runs reliably in behind on either flank. SFC did it to us multi times. And in the first half so were the roar. We also prioritise shape and will stand off and let players advance to our box. Sigh.

We have no traditional wingers and struggle for width unless we can get our full backs forward. So you just close down the fullbacks when they try and come up and they will struggle to play through. Especially Nigro who has no ability on the ball and under even mild pressure timidly buckles and knocks it back. Miller showed tonight he offers a lot more and has been a bit hard done by this season.

One win in 5 now. We clearly need more versatility in our tactics and need to be more proactive.

Other thoughts....

We began so unbelievably timid - and not for the first time in recent weeks. Glacially slow moving the ball, and going nowhere against their back 5. We looked hesitant and couldn't deal with their physicality and pressure. Barring Danny, Niz and Ruon.

Urena should know so much better, absurd tackle. Our strikers were totally owned that game.

Roar are probably the c**tiest I've ever seen them.

Awful bloody game. We made them look like Barcelona. And they made me eat words that we’re a better football side.

Positives...

Looking forward to Kuol next game. We put a decent amount of ball into their box but can’t honestly remember us winning a single header? Wish Kuol was on for all those crosses. Best vertical leap in the league.

Miller did very well and should start next game.

Hopefully this hiding forces important reflection and a reboot. I haven't liked the confidence of Staj and the players in recent weeks around our performances. We played some patches of great football but I don't think we've looked the same since Perth and have badly needed a revamp.

Nisbet is such a great player. You can move him and DDS anywhere and they will cause problems, two very tactically diverse aces up our sleeves that we can use.

Clisby had another very good game and Ruon was excellent.

Tonight reminded me how SHIT the last few years have been and that I hate bloody Brisbane.

Last edited:

marinermick

Technically the best player in the Squad but favours the wing and we are trying make him play central and thats sometimes a hard adjustment. Doesn't fit our fast style but our style no longer works atm and only Olli looked competent tonight in the mids. I think Janota might have been able to pick the stubborn Brisbane lock and we definately missed Alou BIG TIME tonight.

Moving this from the Kuol thread.

We made this comment at half time in the bay. Janota would have been the perfect player to bring in if available. It didn’t help this game that Ollie was so poor and Stens not much better.

Nigro was also pish and clearly hooked. Miller has shown enough in his last two appearances to warrant a start.

A big chance for Kuol to start in front of his family now.

Big Al

We’ve had a great year. But I do think we’re definitely in a bit of trouble in trying to realise Staj’s ACL goal.

My biggest disappointment is they absolutely out enthused us. More aggressive, hungrier and much better movement. No one should be able to out enthuse us at home. We only lifted our intensity once we went down to ten. Good to see. But has to be from the first whistle. Imo, we've forgotten who we are.

In the first ten games, NO ONE out fought us. Now we seem to think that if we just stay calm the magic will come. But without the fight and work rate, we're simply not good enough especially when we’re still using the same tactics.

We were out fought and out thought tonight. Staj has some work to do. Teams know; man handle Simmo and you probably won’t even get called for a foul and certainly not a yellow. And then he can’t hold it up or play anyone else through.

Two man press on Bozanic, most everything goes through him and he likes to turn and pick his pass. Pressure him properly and you can force turn overs and poor passes.

After their back four turns and sets you can make late runs reliably in behind on either flank. SFC did it to us multi times. And in the first half so were the roar. We also prioritise shape and will stand off and let players advance to our box. Sigh.

We have no traditional wingers and struggle for width unless we can get our full backs forward. So you just close down the fullbacks when they try and come up and they will struggle to play through. Especially Nigro who has no ability on the ball and under even mild pressure timidly buckles and knocks it back. Miller showed tonight he offers a lot more and has been a bit hard done by this season.

One win in 5 now. We clearly need more versatility in our tactics and need to be more proactive.

Other thoughts....

We began so unbelievably timid - and not for the first time in recent weeks. Glacially slow moving the ball, and going nowhere against their back 5. We looked hesitant and couldn't deal with their physicality and pressure. Barring Danny, Niz and Ruon.

Urena should know so much better, absurd tackle. Our strikers were totally owned that game.

Roar are probably the c**tiest I've ever seen them.

Awful bloody game. We made them look like Barcelona. And they made me eat words that we’re a better football side.

Positives...

Looking forward to Kuol next game. We put a decent amount of ball into their box but can’t honestly remember us winning a single header? Wish Kuol was on for all those crosses. Best vertical leap in the league.

Miller did very well and should start next game.

Hopefully this hiding forces important reflection and a reboot. I haven't liked the confidence of Staj and the players in recent weeks around our performances. We played some patches of great football but I don't think we've looked the same since Perth and have badly needed a revamp.

Nisbet is such a great player. You can move him and DDS anywhere and they will cause problems, two very tactically diverse aces up our sleeves that we can use.

Clisby had another very good game and Ruon was excellent.

Tonight reminded me how SHIT the last few years have been and that I hate bloody Brisbane.
Perfect summary

I also noticed both SFC and Roar trying to expose our wings and both had some success.

We are toothless when the opposition sits deep and with Matt off we had no hope of going arial and no speed to go through or around.

Poor night and on to the next hoodoo

Big Al

Don’t be so sure, might put Boumann or Smylie next to Simon to annoy the defence and then bring Kuol on after they wear them out.
Especially if he is sick enough not to play tonight. He would fade quickly as an explosive player if still feeling the effects of his illness

Big Al

Nasty challenge for the red card. Hope he only gets a week.
Not sure how the ref didn't see it straight away, we were 50m away and all cringed and said "he's off"

One of those nights, we go again
Urena was very apologetic but I don’t think he even realized he did it until the replay but there was no doubt that was red and right before he was going to be subbed which wasn’t effecting this game but it will next or possibly more

Huddo

We are toothless when the opposition sits deep and with Matt off we had no hope of going arial and no speed to go through or around.

I'd go as far as to say it's currently our biggest weakness, we are effective at opening up defence on the counter, we have much more of a problems at breaking them down when they set.
It also doesn't help that stens is meant to be deep lying in that DM role, and Olly further up, but it seems Olly tried to be in 6 places, and Stens was MIA.

Huddo

The thing is I think we have a good chance against Victory, as they will push up the field, but if they don't well what's the plan?
It why I think janota should start ahead of stens, if they start defensively janota can start in the mid, if they push up on us nizzy to the centre, janota to the wing for the counter.

Wombat

Especially if he is sick enough not to play tonight. He would fade quickly as an explosive player if still feeling the effects of his illness
There was a rumour about Kuol not playing. It was not from a reliable source but if its true, Staj was cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Yes some good goals and assists from him but maybe letting opposition backline move the ball into our midfield puts a lot more pressure and effort on our kids making them more tired for when we do have the ball.
His lack of fitness causes big problems for selection and late game structure too.

He needs to be able to support more than just Simon too. He's good, but i hope we're always looking for his replacement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred