• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners V Macarthur Cows ... Tawny Port RD

shipwreck

Yeh it's a bit of a double edged sword, Ollis movement is so good that he always drops back and presents himself. Problem is, the other dudes only see this and it's always the option they take, against the BULLs they were actively looking for other options in transition due to the absence of Ollie and we looked much faster

style_cafe

IIRC we had the same issue with Noel Spencer and Hutch. Monty tended to play box to box or drop into the backline and wasnt involved in transition.

Spencer had to go, he was an absolute handbrake on transition. Hutch got much better in the "Niz" role. Get the ball and recycle quickly, usually out wide we currently have real pace

Hutch then became the handbrake, continually recycling it back when forward options were open to him. When Hutch went Storm took over but he was more like an anchor than a handbrake... :popcorn:

Ironbark

The Cowpaddies didn't press us the way most teams have recently, and I doubt our midfield would have performed as it did against opposition that pressured with more intensity

Ironbark

Still, if Boz starts next game on the bench to ease him back in we'll get a better look at whether this tweak lays eggs.
If not I'm sure Ollie will come back in firing the way Urena did and will probably score

Forum Phoenix

The Cowpaddies didn't press us the way most teams have recently, and I doubt our midfield would have performed as it did against opposition that pressured with more intensity

Agreed. They did early but it fell away fast.

Imo Olly's transition speed has suffered in part from his taking responsibility, but mostly from him being our obvious key point of distribution. And when it's been Ballard or Steele in there they've been getting dispossessed - routinely caught out by the speed of other teams press. Only Niz has enough ability to hold possession as well in there most times.

But once we started moving the ball wide and fast, which again agreed was easier against the cows than others, it takes pressure of the central players also and creates space.

Movement is also always better when it's obvious where you should now run.

Was an impressive turn around by Monty and the boys. Gives me hope we can continue to go up gears and more than get our groove back. Was talking about how nice it would be to go on a run. But after Perth (despite the point) that just didn't look possible. But now... I think we're a decent chance.

Last edited:

true believer

Agreed. They did early but it fell away fast.

Imo Olly's transition speed has suffered in part from his taking responsibility, but mostly from him being our obvious key point of distribution. And when it's been Ballard or Steele in there they've been getting dispossessed - routinely caught out by the speed of other teams press. Only Niz has enough ability to hold possession as well in there most times.

But once we started moving the ball wide and fast, which again agreed was easier against the cows than others, it takes pressure of the central players also and creates space.

Movement is also always better when it's obvious were you should now run.

Was an impressive turn around by Monty and the boys. Gives me hope we can continue to go up gears and more than get our groove back. Was talking about how nice it would be to go on a run. But after Perth (despite the point) that just didn't look possible. But now... I think we're a decent chance.
it will be something. the divers will come with carl veart's dirty tricks book .
attempting to slow the game . big boys shin pads for this one.

Melange

Olli will be interesting. Was his lack of energy/stamina and hence slower distribution a result of him playing all the games in a tight schedule?

A lot of the passing back rather than early balls forward in the last few weeks was coming from our fullbacks rather than Olli.

I think the big difference is that Nis was the dominant mid coming out of defence. He is so good at receiving the ball at speed and turning forward, so even if being pressed he had more opportunity to pass forward to a player, who due to the quick ball movement would also have more space. Olli has regularly been pressed deep by the opposition in the last few games and only had the options of low risk passes sideways/backwards or high risk forward to players already under pressure.

Last edited:

Wombat

Olli will be interesting. Was his lack of energy/stamina and hence slower distribution a result of him playing all the games in a tight schedule?

A lot of the passing back rather than early balls forward in the last few weeks was coming from our fullbacks rather than Olli.

I think the big difference is that Nis was the dominant mid coming out of defence. He is so good at receiving the ball at speed and turning forward, so even if being pressed he had more opportunity to pass forward to a player, who due to the quick ball movement would also have more space. Olli has regularly been pressed deep by the opposition in the last few games and only had the options of low risk passes sideways/backwards or high risk forward to players already under pressure.

100%. Faz and Dan and to a lesser extent Kye turn back under no pressure......you just have to cut off the passing lane like an under 7yo and they used to turn back to the keeper or play square. Soul destroying to watch tbh........Steele or Maxy used to just pass to the opposition until they put Niz in to solve the problem. Olli was not the problem and at time shone like a beacon because he was the ONLY player to take responsibility in the Mids. Hard to drop Maxi after a good game my head says Niz and Boz will both be better after the last game.

Forum Phoenix

The Faz, Smith combination down the left has so much potential. They can interchange roles easily, they're both quick (smith is a bullet), can knock a pass and they only have a handful of games between them still. Exciting times
Yeah that moronic commentator was talking about Smith not being the fastest - and I’m going are you crazy - guy is seriously quick. With him and Hatch on it was nice to have some real dangerous speed in the mids.

It makes all the difference in getting in behind and or giving our strikers a chance to make effective runs and receive the ball.

Hatch deserves credit from last game too. His touch is improving. Another year or two and will become a very good a league level footballer if he keeps going the way he’s going.

turbo

The Faz, Smith combination down the left has so much potential. They can interchange roles easily, they're both quick (smith is a bullet), can knock a pass and they only have a handful of games between them still. Exciting times
I was impressed at the maturity there from Smith. They started out competing for a spot that looked to be Smith's for the taking yet Smith looked to be in exile and on top of that they're room mates as he mentioned on one of the videos on socials. It would be easy to be bitter or frustrated with the situation but that doesnt seem to be the case at all, he's leaning into their combination and it's paying off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred