• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners V Macarthur Cows ... Tawny Port RD

Insertnamehere

Just watched the mini replay. Meths back line was soooooo slow. Smith and JC aren't hatch quick but man they were so much quicker. And they combined really well ala Niz and Marcos.
So 2 good combos either side to look for.

Defensively RT looked back to it. Not quite last year but assured and almost up to speed. Hall may struggle to get back unless we keep having short rests.

Ironbark

Very hard to change a winning side.

If not injured:

* Do you bring Olli straight back in?
* Does Beni do as well on the right mid?
* Can we do Smith on left & Beni on right?
* Tongyik only 1/2 stray passes but otherwise under the radar does he keep a spot?
* Roux moved well off the ball and created space, less direct than Miller but a different style of attack. Does Miller come back in?

Or

Is the side we put up today just lucky because Cows move the ball slowly and don’t man mark tightly.

And combination of us having a bit of freedom cause we were given more licence from Monty to go for it and less pressure as not expected to win.

So much to test in upcoming weeks and unpack from this game.
Monty:
"The good thing is we've got a seven-day break and hopefully we should have some boys back in the squad.

"But when the boys perform like that, I've always been fair, if you put the performances in, you stay in the team."

Big Al

The key change for me was having Cummings breaking to the left and staying on his stronger foot. He still butchered goals and assists but was much more threatening.

To often he’s been breaking to the right and trying to switch back on to the left across the top of the box to get a shot off but this is where he and Urena clash and Cummings right foot is not that great especially at getting the ball out from under his feet to where his left can be lethal.

Having Urena coming straight or from the right after Cummings was set loose left was lethal and they should have combined for 4 or 5. Finally looked better and it was still awful while looking promising. Give that some time and watch out.

Cy was horrible but it forced us to go left when typically we like to attack down the right via Miller. This shift is was critical. Beni comes in for Cy and we stick with that combination imo

Big Al

The commentary was talking about our poor record defending corners and we have the most goals conceded from them. I am pretty sure we were No1 last year or at some point we were. This is the effect Matt Simon has. He is so dominant in the box on corners and free kicks. We are missing that alot. Tonyik was also part if that last year. The two of them dominated in the air through size and power. It’s been missed and why we are conceding late or sloppy goals.

TC Redline

Just watched the mini replay. Meths back line was soooooo slow. Smith and JC aren't hatch quick but man they were so much quicker. And they combined really well ala Niz and Marcos.
So 2 good combos either side to look for.

Defensively RT looked back to it. Not quite last year but assured and almost up to speed. Hall may struggle to get back unless we keep having short rests.
Slightly off topic but just watched the mini on Paramount and for each of the Mariners goals , I can’t believe how quickly Erin was able to run from the top of the hill to the fence to celebrate the goal. I think he had Usain Bolt covered over 10 meters and I heard a whisper he also may have mentioned how good VAR was after Marco’s second goal :D

Forum Phoenix

. hey i'm just glad the boys used all their commuting time wisely this week ... by reading the forum

:piralaugh:
Amazing wasn’t it.

Fast transition, speed / effective movement and width. Full credit to Monty. The players responded no doubt. But that was coached. Faz clearly was told to release the ball much quicker and then Noah was making great direct runs that got them turning and retreating and lo and behold Cummings could finally start making runs into space and get in behind. Instead of being marked out of the game.

Having Ollie out improved our transition speed as did having Ruon on hitting those straight balls he does well.

Even when we played central once Marcos came on we were moving it quick enough that he could turn and get something going.

Can’t say how happy I am to have my fears about Cummings and Marcos proven wrong. Every partnership takes time, and they both still missed some golden chances to play the other in. But the understanding is clearly growing - so look the f**k out.

Once we got Hatch on for Cy and had some more pace and strength we went up another notch. Was a great sub by Monty. He’s got a thin squad but he’s clearly seen how limited Cy is. And Harry poor fella… but he did us a big favour. Game turned on its head.

Commentary was painful. Though I like Georgeveski as a simple honest pundit, other guy was more of the same kind of bullshit fluff commentary that this league has suffered from since inception.

Great win.

Marco 3.
Birra 2
Cum Dog 1

Last edited:

Wombat

Slightly off topic but just watched the mini on Paramount and for each of the Mariners goals , I can’t believe how quickly Erin was able to run from the top of the hill to the fence to celebrate the goal. I think he had Usain Bolt covered over 10 meters and I heard a whisper he also may have mentioned how good VAR was after Marco’s second goal :D
Erin has always had some toe.

style_cafe

Having Ollie out improved our transition speed as did having Ruon on hitting those straight balls he does well.
I think this was the key reason for the difference.
Don`t get me wrong I love Olly & think he`s a great player & captain.
However, the difference in our play can`t be ignored and has to be addressed by Monty.
By this I think Monty needs to have a chat with Olly and point out the the problems.
ie. quick transitions,more one touch passes and to have a little more faith in his players by loosening the control/direction he has with them.
He has to give them more encouragement to allow them to make their own decisions.
That game was a massive turn around for us. Farrell`s early release of the ball into forward space. Smith going forward playing Cummings it was what we`ve craved.
I think the injuries to Olly, Hall, Mueller and Beni have created more headaches for Monty now trying to get them back into the side.
Also noted Matty was looking good at training so he can`t be that far off a bench spot either... :popcorn:

FFC Mariner

IIRC we had the same issue with Noel Spencer and Hutch. Monty tended to play box to box or drop into the backline and wasnt involved in transition.

Spencer had to go, he was an absolute handbrake on transition. Hutch got much better in the "Niz" role. Get the ball and recycle quickly, usually out wide we currently have real pace

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred