• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners v Lightning and Spirit FC

Aden

Just a quick mention on Villazon . i see in talent in this  guy but  you could really tell it was his first game. some decisions he made reflected that.  Very similar to the game Grahame Toope played for the mariners in this game last year.  Aplayer also with talent but cracked  with nerves from the pressure. I think  villazon will improve the more games he plays and comfortable he becomes although it is  just a matter of how much he improves and if he can easily cope with the pressurebecause there were times he touched the ball he didnt look too bad last night

skilbeck

By the sounds of it we should probably sign Villazon to the youth squad and then i wouldnt be surprised if got HAL experience by the end of the season if Mrdjas dodgy knee plays up and another striker has injury, form or suspension problems because he seems like he could be first in line as an injury cover to an attacker, though this depends on who else we sign in our youth squad

Aden

Brady Smith another i reckon.. didnt see mich ball last night but a good player none the less .. and i still stick to say xavier forsberg

Kareem

Greenpoleffc said:
Made it to the EPL - you are taking the piss surely??

He made 1 appearance in an FAC game against Orient and was booed and abused off the pitch when subbed.

I'm not 100% that he will be a certain starter for us either. Cacaeres, Owens, Jedi and Hutcho would all have to be well ahead of him
thats one more game than most HAL players
who comes good 1st game??? honestly- he still hasnt got the full preseason that he needs! and I wasnt referring to his time at Fulham rather his outstanding form that took him there- in the NSL and then in Asia (+ some appearances for socceroos).
If he could reach that height again...well he would 2nd or 3rd most valuable player on our team... (afterall how many socceroos do we have- Jedi, Heff will be 1, vukovic).
What says he cant???

Deej

In Elrich's defence Fulham obviously saw something in him when he trialled, sadly for him he never showed what he can do and was plagued by injury.

I was not impressed with Elrich last year but am happy to hold judgement until he's had a full pre-season, got a few HAL games under his belt and has an understanding with all the players.  IF he plays to his full potential we could hold the best wingers in the league!

Aden

dwight said:
Greenpoleffc said:
D'Appuzzo - just sign him, no farkin about, just buy the kid. How fast is he???

Mac - lovely 1st touch for such a big CF and maybe be target man we have been looking for

Elrich - not impressed (but I do admit to significant bias) the words unfit and show pony spring to mind TBH

McAndrew - Lightning aimed everything at him in the 1st half and without Clarkie/Wilko helping him out, he was in serious trouble. Unfit, over weight and is it me or is he a dead ringer for Carl Williams off underbelly?

As for the 2nd half triallists, the guy at the back looked composed and solid

Pretty much agree with above although Elrich looked dangerous at times and I think he is fitter than he looks, McAndrew seemed a class below the rest including the lightning boys.

Clarky definately match of the match, work rate high covered for other's at times, showed his experience and coolness last night.

The lightning boys were on the end of some dubious challanges and the ref seemed to favour the mariners. !!

Anthony Villazon was the number 6 with Gumps name on his jersey. !!

Trotty seemed to go pretty well he will now be on loan to the lightning, and will then play keeper for the mariners until Danny return's.

Disagree bout mcandrew yeh they aimed at him but u look at someone who has played not one single game  for a year.. i have been watching lightnings games and he is comin along better every week and did alright last nigth but still has a long way to go

skilbeck

even if he is getting better i still dont feel he is adding anything to the team except for being an U21 player. If we released McAndrew signed D'Apuzzo we would have both a youth player and someone who would add something as well as free up a place for an attacking midfielder, Goalkeeper or another stopper

Yellowbeard

My 2 cents
Macca was brilliant, great signing if he can keep it up
Elrich - too busy abusing and swearing at 14 year old linesman to be effective in 1st half. Was at other end 2nd half and didnt see him
Trotty - Still worries me there was a ball came through in 2nd half to just outside the box that was clearly his, he was anchored to his line
Hutcho - Some very poor touches, no doubt will improve with game play
Loved the pace from some of the young guys.
Overall really enjoyable night - Well done to mariners and lightning.

brett

It's all fairly well covered above.

Our two best chances came from Lawrie's favourite corner routine: in-swinger to near post to the tall guy, and a straight ball from Trott to macca's head with Porter running in behind.

Let's face it, in the A-League those sorts of chances are valuable. Looks like we could go with a midfield 5 at times with Macca up front.

D'Apuzzo was impressive but I am thinking we need more of a LB/CB than another left wingback.

I haven't seen any of McAndrew for lightning so I will leave further judgements to those who have but one thing out of last night was his aerial ability. You really have to be able to win headers even at fullback in the A-League and I think he lost every contested one.

tyson

how can you be getting better every game when you sit on the bench nearly every game?
he is getting overweight as well.

i think he will b lucky to be resigned.

i spoke to neil woodcock today, he said the mariners defenders are HEAPS strong and knock you over all the time. he also said brady smith is the pick of the bunch from lightning for the youth team. rates him pretty highly it seems.

bikinigirl

Yellowbeard said:
Elrich - too busy abusing and swearing at 14 year old linesman to be effective in 1st half. Was at other end 2nd half and didnt see him

. my (similar, above) observation was for the second half so at least elrich is consistent

swarey

Teenage terrier terrorises much-vaunted Mariners

Friday 23 May, 2008 12:01am

TEENAGE striker Mitch Harper will be given an opportunity to trial with the Mariners after he impressed for Central Coast Lightning in the Challenge Cup at Pluim Park on Tuesday night.

The game finished in a 0-0 draw, the first time in the four-year history of the match the Mariners had been kept scoreless.

Harper, 17, caught the eye of Mariners head coach Lawrie McKinna as he put pressure on the experienced Mariners defenders including captain Alex Wilkinson.

Harper showed great footwork to beat the defenders and produce two shots that required solid saves from Mariners goalkeeper Matthew Trott.

"He did well and he is only 17," McKinna said. "Lightning coach John McLafferty has high hopes for him and we'll be inviting him along to training to have another look."

Harper is one of three Lightning players under the watch of McKinna as the Mariners coach begins to gather names for the inaugural youth league squad.

Nathan Moseley and Brady Smith played the first half for Lightning before swapping jerseys and coming on for the Mariners in the second half.

They have both come through the Mariners Academy and have already taken part in Mariners pre-season training as they push their claims for a youth contract.

Several other Sydney-based players made appearances for the Mariners on Tuesday night.

The most notable were left-side player David D'Apuzzo and central defender Nathan Sherlock.

D'Apuzzo, the younger brother of Newcastle A-League and Olyroos midfielder Adam D'Apuzzo, played the first half for the Mariners.

He plays for Apia-Leichhardt in the NSW Premier League and impressed McKinna before pulling up sore at half-time.

Sydney Olympic defender Sherlock, a former Australian Joey representative, partnered Wilkinson in central defence in the second half.

"We got a bit out of it seeing those boys play and overall it was a good fitness run for us," McKinna said.

kevrenor

Boogaard and Heffernan set for pre-season starts

Another experimental Central Coast Mariners squad will take to the pitch
against Spirit FC at Christie Park tomorrow night, though the yellow and
navy have been boosted by the fresh inclusions of Nigel Boogaard and
Dean Heffernan.

Both Boogaard and Heffernan missed the Mariners' opening trial match of
the new season against the Central Coast Lightning last Tuesday through
representative commitments and injury respectively.

Boogaard, having today returned from a successful Intercontinental Cup
campaign with the Qantas Under 23's in Malaysia, is a chance to make an
appearance at Christie Park, while Heffernan, who has not played since
breaking his leg against Sydney FC in December of last year, is
available for selection.

The key duo, who were two of the Mariners strongest performers
throughout season three, will be joined at Christie Park by a host of
triallists, as was the case when the Mariners were held to a 0-0
stalemate by the Lightning at Pluim Park a week ago.

Included amongst the triallist contingent are Mariners Youth Academy
graduates Nathan Moseley and Brady Smith, as well as NSW Premier League
starlets David D'Apuzzo of APIA Leichhardt and Nathan Sherlock of Sydney
Olympic.

Prior to the main game, a selection of Mariners National Youth League
hopefuls will play against Spirit FC's Under 20's side, with Mariners
Development Manager Alex Tobin one of many that will be watching on with
interest.

"It's very important for the triallists to perform in these types of
games, you can watch kids train and you can see a lot in training, but
you really don't know whether they will sink or swim until they actually
play in a game situation," said Tobin.

"We're progressing quite well, we're perhaps ahead of where we need to
be in some sense, we've started pre-season reasonably early and the
players have adapted well, they're a very fit group at the moment and
getting fitter all the time.

"It's a long way to the start of the regular Hyundai A-League season,
but the boys are very well prepared at the moment."

Tomorrow's match up at Christie Park marks the fourth occasion the two
clubs have met in friendly fixtures.

Spirit FC were the first club to ever oppose the Mariners in any type of
fixture - that match taking on place on Wednesday, 30 March 2005.

The Mariners claimed a 3-0 victory on that occasion with goals coming
from Andrew Clark, Boogaard and Adam Kwasnik.

Kwasnik was again on the mark one year later - slotting three past the
Spirit in addition to Stewart Petrie's opener to secure a 4-1 triumph
for the yellow and navy.

Most recently, Spirit FC achieved a famous result when holding the
Mariners to a 1-1 draw, with Sasho Petrovski's first goal for the
Central Coast after joining the club from Sydney FC being cancelled out
some twenty minutes from fulltime by Spirit FC player Tim Simpson.

"We're very much looking forward to it - early in the season you want to
get in as many games as possible leading up to the regular season," said
Tobin.

"We still have a number of injury issues and players who aren't quite
there in terms of coming back, so our line up will be similar as to what
it was against the Lightning which is perhaps not full strength but
gives plenty of players an opportunity to cement a spot and to prove to
the coaches that they're good enough."

Central Coast Mariners Squad
1. Matthew Trott (gk), 2. David D'Apuzzo, 4. Ian McAndrew, 5. Bradley
Porter, 7. John Hutchinson, 8. Dean Heffernan, 9. Nathan Moseley, 11.
Damien Brown, 12. Brady Smith, 13. Nathan Sherlock, 15. Andrew Clark,
16. Nigel Boogaard, 17. Ben Glachan, 18. Alex Wilkinson, 19. Adam
Kwasnik, 21. Ahmad Elrich, 22. Sasho Petrovski, 27. Dylan Macallister

The Mariners continue their pre-season trial match program against
reigning NSW State League 1 Champions Spirit FC at Christie Park
tomorrow, Wednesday, 28 May. Kick off is at 7.30pm.
http://www.ccmariners.com.au/default.aspx?s=ccfc_news_item&id=22310
--------------

For those that need to know ... Mr Paul Orgad will be No. 14 for Spirit.
Former Socceroo Jason Van Blerk unlikely to be on the team sheet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred