• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners v Lightning and Spirit FC

marinermick

Central Coast Mariners
Media Release
Tuesday, 1 April

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mariners to open season four campaign on May 20

The Central Coast Mariners will commence their Hyundai A-League 2008/09 pre-season campaign with a pair of exhibition fixtures against New South Wales state league representations from the Central Coast and Gladesville-Hornsby in late May.

The Mariners, including recently announced signings Ahmad Elrich and Dylan MacAllister, will return to full-time training at Jubilee Park on Monday, 28 April, before taking on the Central Coast Lightning at Pluim Park on Tuesday, 20 May and Spirit FC at Christie Park on Wednesday, 28 May.

The Lightning, the Mariners official feeder club, began their 2008 NSW Super League campaign last Saturday boosted by the inclusion of season three Mariners squad members Ian McAndrew and Bradley Porter, plus a host of 2007/08 Mariners Youth Academy graduates.

Spirit FC, who opposed the Mariners in their first ever trial match fixture in March 2005, also commenced the defence of their New South Wales Division 1 crown at the weekend and boast a line up that also includes several Mariners Youth Academy members and former Qantas Socceroo Jason van Blerk.

"Its exciting to be already putting the final touches on our season four pre-season preparations and as of todays announcement, were officially counting the days until were underway again," said Mariners Executive Chairman Lyall Gorman.

"Wed like to thank both the Lightning and Spirit FC for agreeing to these fixtures, which provide our players with a most valuable hit out against stern opposition and beyond that, we look forward to mingling with our partners and supporters both locally and in the northern regions of Sydney."

The Mariners have played their state wide counterparts twice previously and have recorded 2-0 wins on both occasions.

When the two sides first met at Pluim Park in June 2006, goals from Adam Kwasnik and Damien Brown earned the Mariners bragging rights before strikes from Matthew Osman and Nik Mrdja repeated the dose one year later.

The 28 May clash between the Mariners and Spirit FC marks the fourth occasion the two clubs have met at Christie Park the first of which was the first ever competitive hit out enjoyed by the yellow and navy, who interestingly wore white and maroon training gear that evening.

On that night, ten of the Mariners current playing squad contributed to a 3-0 triumph for visitors, with local product Andrew Clark netting the Central Coasts historic first ever goal.

Prior to season two, Kwasniks hat-trick saw the Mariners home 4-1, while on the eve of season three, Sasho Petrovskis first goal in Central Coast colours gave the Mariners the lead before Spirit FC drew level and saw the match to the fulltime whistle at 1-1.

Event Details

Central Coast Lightning vs. Central Coast Mariners
Pluim Park, Lisarow
Tuesday, 20 May, Kick off 7pm

Spirit FC vs. Central Coast Mariners
Christie Park, North Ryde
Wednesday, 28 May, Kick off 7.30pm

Ends

coast

Yeah sounds good. I think on the monday, week after the grand final, i found myself asking when does the pre-season start hahaha.

skilbeck

coast said:
Yeah sounds good. I think on the monday, week after the grand final, i found myself asking when does the pre-season start hahaha.

yep i know what its like. the hardest thing about the end of the season, whether we win or lose, is the withdrawal symptoms from not getting a weekly fix of Mariners football and im sure everyone on here agrees with me

FFC Mariner

Try Lightning. Not quite the CCM but close(ish) with a few of the boys going round. Like a sort of Mariners Methadone(sp) really.

The light beer of football.
The diet coke of football.
1 calorie, not football enough.

kevrenor

Greenpoleffc said:
Try Lightning. Not quite the CCM but close(ish) with a few of the boys going round. Like a sort of Mariners Methadone(sp) really.

Or if you are in Sydney try Spirit FC at salubrious Christie Park:

NSW Div 1: Round 2:
Blacktown Spartans 1 (L Delaney 16m) - Spirit FC 5 (Tim Simpson 4/22m, L Pankopou 58m, Adam Peatey 65m, T Cao 85m)

2nd big win for the feeder club!

marinerbhoy

kevrenor said:
Greenpoleffc said:

Blacktown Spartans 1 (L Delaney 16m) - Spirit FC 5 (Tim Simpson 4/22m, L Pankopou 58m, Adam Peatey 65m, T Cao 85m)

is it possible for spirit to get promoted to the premier league? or is that comp set in stone

Omni

Bhoy: They're working out a structure for promotion and relegation again, I haven't been able to find the document that sets out the requirements that are beyond the league positions.

Bonnyrigg and Sydney United in the NSW top flight again?

mustapha_beer

kevrenor said:
Greenpoleffc said:

Or......you could head out to Blacktown and watch the mighty Demons in the NSW State League. The boys doubled their points total last week, and moved off the bottom rung of the ladder in the process.

Onwards and upwards, boys....hurry up and jump on before you're accused of being glory hunters!

:eek:verhead:

midfielder

Christie Park five mins from my place so be there for sure

I was thinking of going to the Demons on Saturday night ..........r u going mustapha_beer ....if so we should meet up

kevrenor

midfielder said:
Christie Park five mins from my place so be there for sure

Canosa gunning for glory with Spirit FC
22.04.08 09:41

Spirit FC coach Claudio Canosa
Things are certainly looking on the up for Division One outfit Spirit FC for season 2008.

The club has pushed its intentions of hopefully winning promotion into the Super League next season after they managed to secure the coaching services of former NSL defender Claudio Canosa.

The ex-Penrith Nepean United coach has been pretty impressed with the Spirit FC set-up thus far and is hoping that the club can venture off to the next level next year.

I really believe the club has the foundations in going towards the next level and moving on from there.

The board have great ideas in promoting the team which is a great aspect for me as the coach.

It is up to us now in getting the best results possible in achieving this dream with winning promotion into the Super League next year.

Spirit FC have managed to secure a number of foreign players for season 2008 with Greek striker Leonardo Papanicolaou, Colombian ace Felipe, English attacker Sam Pitkeathly and former Kiwi international Jeremy Brown all on the clubs books.

Australian Futsal representative Tuan Cao has also joined the club as well as a number of promising players from the Gladesville-Hornsby area making them one of the strongest outfits in Division One.

The club has progressed well in the Tiger Turf Cup and has also made it to round 3 of the prestigious cup tournament.

The tough talking Argentine tactician is hoping that Spirit FC can realise its dream in winning promotion into the Super League next season.

"It is certainly on the list of goals for the club and for me as their coach."

Speaking of winning things, Canosa did just that during the Harry Williams Cup when he guided the U16 Indigenous Team to victory over the Fairfield Hotspurs 8-7 on penalties.

-By Mark Stavroulakis

marconigirl

Yay, can't wait to get back into it..
I will most likely be at the Mariners/Spirit match as it is a 10 min walk from my house...

Not sure if there is a link for this or not, but Nutmeg was wondering if there was a bus coming down that she could pick up halfway!?!?!?

dibo

bikinigirl said:
dibo said:
RADINHO said:
rather be versing Juventus...

I'd rather be playing Juventus too, but we aren't and I'll get over it.

. but will you get over 'versing'?

But it's so horrible and it makes no sense. It's just sloppy. I'm fine with people not using uncommon or arcane forms of the lingo - 'whom' is probably a word whose time has come to saunter off into disuse - but there's no more reason to say 'we're versing them' than there is to say 'I catched the ball'. It's comprehensible (in that people will understand what you mean) but it's still wrong.

marinermick

dibo said:
bikinigirl said:
dibo said:
RADINHO said:

But it's so horrible and it makes no sense. It's just sloppy. I'm fine with people not using uncommon or arcane forms of the lingo - 'whom' is probably a word whose time has come to saunter off into disuse - but there's no more reason to say 'we're versing them' than there is to say 'I catched the ball'. It's comprehensible (in that people will understand what you mean) but it's still wrong.

there is not much about the english language that is right or makes sense so i have no problem with versing

voice of reason

marinermick said:
dibo said:
bikinigirl said:
dibo said:
RADINHO said:

there is not much about the english language that is right or makes sense so i have no problem with versing

The story of the English language is a story of popular use of words and phrases that don't always conform and authority trying to regulate it.  I also hate the use of 'versing' but recognise that if enough people use it widely enough for long enough it may become valid usage.

'versus' means against or facing and is Latin.  It comes from the Latin verb 'versare' to turn.  Since the verb can be conjugated in Latin to say, I face, you face, we face etc there doesn't seem much wrong with saying "we will be facing" or "we will be versing".  That's how language changes over the centuries and why we aren't all speaking gutteral alliterative Old English today!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred