• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

scoober

SA teenage goalkeeper Joe Gauci signs for A-League club Central Coast Mariners

Rob Greenwood, The Advertiser
June 19, 2018 6:08pm

EMULATING Socceroos No. 1 Mat Ryan is the target for SA’s hottest goalkeeping property after securing a dream A-League move.

Teenage prodigy Joe Gauci has been unveiled as Central Coast Mariners’ latest signing in the club’s rebuild under new coach Mike Mulvey.

The West Torrens Birkalla custodian drew inspiration from World Cup-bound Ryan, who made his A-League debut eight years ago, also for the Gosford outfit, aged 18.

“It’s a really great opportunity for me,” said Gauci, who turns 18 next month.

“You always want to get that pro contract and it’s been my goal ever since I started playing as a little kid.

“He (Ryan) is someone I really want to follow now.

“Going to Central Coast so young, if I was able to get some game-time at a young age the same as him it would be really good.

“They’ve said they’ll play me if I’m good enough and that’s all I want to hear.

“The rest is up to me.”

Gauci has been a National Premier Leagues SA standout for the past two seasons, displaying a level of maturity and consistency belying his inexperience between the posts.

He impressed during a trial with Central Coast in February, before returning to the club for another week of training last month which landed him a scholarship deal.

The 194cm talent will join the Mariners for pre-season training ahead of the FFA Cup round-of-32 in July/August.

“Mike (Mulvey) said they could see me in the future of the club,” the Year 12 Sacred Heart College student said.

“I’m going from training two or maybe three times a week, to training every day and sometimes twice a day.

“It’s going to be a big step up, but it’s the environment you want to be in to improve.

“To have signed is a relief for me really and now I just want to get started.”

The Adelaide-born youngster took his first soccer steps in the unlikely setting of Waiheke Island, 21km off the coast of Auckland.

Gauci moved across the Tasman aged four with his family after his mother, Donna, was posted to New Zealand in her role as general manager of Sealink.

78eb217f4f42175dcbe6d6c7ecf8655d

Joe Gauci has played 31 National Premier Leagues SA matches for West Torrens Birkalla over the past two seasons. Picture: Tait Schmaal
He began his career as a striker, but soon settled in goals.

“When you’re younger, you’re always crying when you concede (a goal),” Gauci, of Somerton Park, said.

“But I love it and I wouldn’t play any other position.

“In under-12s and 13s I was one of the shorter keepers, but I’ve had a late growth spurt and now I’m towering over most of the blokes I play against.”

Gauci returned home aged 11 and progressed through Football Federation SA’s development pathway before joining Birkalla.

He got his senior break last season when first choice keeper and his mentor Julian Torresan sustained a serious shoulder injury in round one.

“My transition was pretty quick,” said Gauci, who went on to play 20 NPL SA games in 2017.

“But the last couple of years, playing first team at such a young age I knew the (A-League) opportunity was always there if I was to perform.

“I’m only 17, so I’ll work hard and make the most of it.

“But for me, I want to be playing in the A-League as soon as I can.”

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/d3109cadd0ce329d60fc3ed0b6873fd6
From the highlight package he's better then kennedy and can distribute miles better, kennedy cannot kick straight. I think this kid will battle kennedy for the starting spot and probably take it.

marinermick

From the highlight package he's better then kennedy and can distribute miles better, kennedy cannot kick straight. I think this kid will battle kennedy for the starting spot and probably take it.

Funny how highlights packages never show the mistakes and howlers.

I am sure we could make Kennedy out to be a gun distributor of the ball by cutting up some past footage.

scottmac

Suspended
Let's hope so. We haven't really had anyone that's has challenged for and kept a spot outside of our first 11 since Matt.

Forum Phoenix

It might be just me, but after the way Kennedy played after OKONOUT occurred, you wouldn’t sign to mow the training pitch would you...hell, after the last game flogging he was on the pitch fkn laughing...f**k him

This is the game/performance that haunts me. He’ll have to do a lot to win back my trust after that.

pjennings

I think focussing on the keeper is a bit too obvious. Simply put - we are not only conceding too many - we are not scoring enough. Even with the blowout in the final game Kennedy conceded at 1.52 goals a game while Glover conceded at 2.5 goals a game

Kennedy is a good second keeper. To put his numbers in context his figures last season were better than Reddy's who everyone liked as a keeper if not as a human being. His figures last season were better than Reddy's HAL career figures and his career figures are better than Reddy's in spite off the fact that he has been with the Jets through their bad years and with is last season. Reddy at least has had seasons when he has played with better performing teams. He had a shocking last game (and another relatively poor game if I remember correctly) - but I don't recall anyone particularly covering themselves in glory in the final game.

In Moss's first year we finished 3rd and scored 33 goals and conceded 36
In 2014/2015 we finished 8th and scored 26 goals and conceded 50
In 2015/2016 we finished 10th and scored 33 goals and conceded 70
In 2016/2017 we finished 8th and scored 31 and conceded 52
In 2017/2018 we finished 10th and scored 28 and conceded 49. We have not scored so few goals since 2006/2007.when we played 6 less games.

This season, to be competitive and make the final we probably need to increase our goals scored by a third and decrease our goals conceded by a third.

midfielder

We have 16 signed players, with I expect two players to be promoted, so I am assuming 18 players.

Aside from Dutchie 2, the squad does not have a lot of quality.

I guess the ongoing DDS, is he going or is he staying, is causing difficulty in forward planning.

However, for the first time I am looking at our squad and saying, is this squad A-League quality or state league quality.

I hope we sign some decent players soon memberships will be effected soon imo

Insertnamehere

We have 16 signed players, with I expect two players to be promoted, so I am assuming 18 players.

I guess the ongoing DDS, is he going or is he staying, is causing difficulty in forward planning.

However, for the first time I am looking at our squad and saying, is this squad A-League quality or state league quality.

Agree. Squad isn't competitive on paper atm. But as the saying goes football isn't played on paper.
There's only the big signings to come imo.

pjennings

What you are saying is true. However, I only expect 1 player to be promoted to the squad in Michael Glassock. You have to remember though that the European transfer window where MMM was looking does not open until July 1st. I would hope to see some decent signings in the week following. I still think there is plenty to do on the attacking side as well as replacements for Baro and Roux (although Aspro can also play RB)

marinermick

Do we have anyone going to training in the next few days to see what other players are there?

Golec trained with the team for two weeks last season before being announced.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred