• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Kareem

5 Defensive mids and four left wingers.

Got to love our squad balance.

1 (fit) target man (Murray showed he isn't a target man).
0 RBs (Millar is more of a RM and McGing is a CB).

And that's just squad balance in a purely positional sense.

Re: senior players.
We have an experienced striker, and experienced midfielders but as someone pointed out elsewhere, we have 0 senior centrebacks...
A very confusing situation.

Last edited:

pjennings

Yeah I’ve long thought this also.

I’d supplement a quality starting 11, with one extra quality defender, 1 defensive mid, 1 attacking mid and 1 forward for cover. The other 8 players all youth.

With our current squad not as easy as it sounds. Realistically both WeeMac and Matty are second but probably take a decent slice of cap. This means that I cannot see us improving the squad markedly without 2 marquees (optimistic I know but it is needed - ideally CAM and striker ). We have neglected the squad for years and we will need to attract real quality to ensure that we attract better first team players for real not inflated first team prices.

Looking who we have for next year we have 8 players. Realistically only Oar ( if fit and firing ) is part of a quality first XI. DDS is at this stage a second XI CAM if indeed he plays for us. I suspect not so I will not include him. Gauci is a scholarship player so I will not include him.

First XI

-----------------------------GK------------------------------

RB------------CB--------------------CB-----------------LB

RM--------------CM----------------CM---------------Oar----

------------------Striker----------Striker----------------------

Second XI

McGing------------CB--------------------CB-----------------LB

----RM-----Melling------------McGlinchey--------Shabow------

------------------Simon----------Striker----------------------

We will have 4 visa spots available ( assuming no rule changes) One ideally will be Tom H. One should be a CB, one a CAM and one a striker. So we need to sign 2 GK, 4 CB, 2 LB, a first XI RB, 2 first XI Central midielder, 1 first XI RM, 2 first XI strikers

These guys coming off contract I would consider (only Tom as as visa player) - Rowles, Aspropotamitis, Hiariej, O'Neill, Nisbet, Pain, Kekeris & Murray. Gauci is still on contract as a scholarship player.

Rowles can be a second choice CB, Aspro is probably good enough (with fitness) to be a first choice CB, Tom H as a first choice CM, Nisbet as a second choice CM, Murray as a second choice striker. I would keep O'Neill. Kekeris hasn't had a chance to show anything. I would like to keep Pain but if we are looking at improving the quality of the first XI and we already have Oar signed where does he fit?

Wombat

With our current squad not as easy as it sounds. Realistically both WeeMac and Matty are second but probably take a decent slice of cap. This means that I cannot see us improving the squad markedly without 2 marquees (optimistic I know but it is needed - ideally CAM and striker ). We have neglected the squad for years and we will need to attract real quality to ensure that we attract better first team players for real not inflated first team prices.

Looking who we have for next year we have 8 players. Realistically only Oar ( if fit and firing ) is part of a quality first XI. DDS is at this stage a second XI CAM if indeed he plays for us. I suspect not so I will not include him. Gauci is a scholarship player so I will not include him.

First XI

Second XI

We will have 4 visa spots available ( assuming no rule changes) One ideally will be Tom H. One should be a CB, one a CAM and one a striker. So we need to sign 2 GK, 4 CB, 2 LB, a first XI RB, 2 first XI Central midielder, 1 first XI RM, 2 first XI strikers

These guys coming off contract I would consider (only Tom as as visa player) - Rowles, Aspropotamitis, Hiariej, O'Neill, Nisbet, Pain, Kekeris & Murray. Gauci is still on contract as a scholarship player.

Rowles can be a second choice CB, Aspro is probably good enough (with fitness) to be a first choice CB, Tom H as a first choice CM, Nisbet as a second choice CM, Murray as a second choice striker. I would keep O'Neill. Kekeris hasn't had a chance to show anything. I would like to keep Pain but if we are looking at improving the quality of the first XI and we already have Oar signed where does he fit?

Pain can play LW and RW. I see him as a starting 11 player now. This has easily been Pain's best season.

Forum Phoenix

First XI

Second XI

Great post PJ.

Thoroughly agree. Hell of a task.

We have players who should not be on our books, and how do we rejuvenate if we can’t even pay on par rates with other clubs because our standing is so low. Only young players dreaming of their HAL shot or money ball out casts will come to the worst team in the league without a reasonable financial incentive right...

So yeah... Mike almost certainly has to spend the cap and use the marquee spots as you suggest just to get us on par with other sides. And if he doesn’t...What can we hope for? A miracle coach to win with a bunch of break out rookies.

Grim stuff. We need to break the cycle,

Mulvey really was thinking in the right vein I think, but he got at least 5 of his signings badly wrong, had an inadequate pre season, did not see the debacle that was Kennedy, over estimated some players and under estimated the league.

Last edited:

Holy

First XI

Second XI

As so well highlighted PJ, the task is enormous.
The real extent will be seen in the upcoming months in both retention and recruitment.
I think that CCM as a club and a brand has been so damaged that the type of players we need as you have highlighted won’t even consider us as a viable option.
What would be the pulling power? I don’t even think paying overs will be enough. By all accounts the facilities / support won’t either. Coastal lifestyle change, maybe, but we certainly don’t need a player who thinks he’s coming for a holiday.
I don’t think Mulvey has any pulling power either. Whatever aces he would of had, he’s used. Phelan might, but probably only with the visas, that’s if he is even still involved.

I really think one of the only ways we are going to get out of our current predicament is to go after a pulling power manager first and foremost. As this stage I don’t have any suggestions, but it would need to be somebody that players would want to play for, regardless of what club he’s at.

I interested in reading what others think

Stoxxo

As so well highlighted PJ, the task is enormous.
The real extent will be seen in the upcoming months in both retention and recruitment.
I think that CCM as a club and a brand has been so damaged that the type of players we need as you have highlighted won’t even consider us as a viable option.
What would be the pulling power? I don’t even think paying overs will be enough. By all accounts the facilities / support won’t either. Coastal lifestyle change, maybe, but we certainly don’t need a player who thinks he’s coming for a holiday.
I don’t think Mulvey has any pulling power either. Whatever aces he would of had, he’s used. Phelan might, but probably only with the visas, that’s if he is even still involved.

I really think one of the only ways we are going to get out of our current predicament is to go after a pulling power manager first and foremost. As this stage I don’t have any suggestions, but it would need to be somebody that players would want to play for, regardless of what club he’s at.

I interested in reading what others think
I really hope @Shaun Mielekamp
will see this. Totally nailed on the head, excellent post Holy!

pinklady

I hope Mulvey paid close attention to the game yesterday at Pluim. A mix of NYL/NPL plus A League players who didn't play Saturday went down 0-2 to Guangzhou R & F in a behind closed doors match. A much more spirited performance by players who should be given a chance rather than a couple of teenagers from Montys old club whose signing was justified by Mulvey saying he saw some kids 10 years ago playing at that level who went on to make it in the EPL. BTW Mousa Dembele was there but didn't play.

turbo

Mulvey really was thinking in the right vein I think, but he got at least 5 of his signings badly wrong, had an inadequate pre season, did not see the debacle that was Kennedy, over estimated some players and under estimated the league.

Those factors were a perfect storm that took a long time to find anything remotely workable from but they're his decisions that put us in this situation. Had Cisse worked out as planned I think it would have really benefited Rowles, Aspro and Mcging to have a senior player leading the back line. Might have even helped Golec shake off the poor form since his injury. Mcglinchey and Simon had question marks over them for most of us from the moment they were announced. Kennedy is a problem but I'm starting to come around to the school of thought that our whole goal keeping set up needs to be flushed out, both Sail and White (nix and roar backup keepers) had great games and looked better than our first choice yet we haven't got anyone pushing for his spot.

I think the club tried to do the right thing with MM - he has won the league and many in the media were putting his name forward so the club wasn't the only one thinking he'd be better for us. Unfortunately he's been found out a bit and its hard to see a way back from here. I doubt he would repeat some of those mistakes next season but his tenure is now tarnished. I'm not sure who we look to now, gamble on a strong NPL level coach or dig deep and find someone new to the league. I still think we need a solid early marquee signing to show we're serious next season.

ccf

Why is a goal keeper who played at Juventus now coaching at Melbourne Victory? Why is he not our keeper coach?

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
We had Van Stratton between the sticks around the Perez era then his leg fell off at a game v City, but yeah,I see your point Pirate...anyone is better than that Scummer spy Nash

TysonP

I would like to keep Pain but if we are looking at improving the quality of the first XI and we already have Oar signed where does he fit?
Pain fits wherever you were thinking of putting Oar ahead of him. Oar has been trash and he is probably earning decent coin.

turbo

Goal.com reporting we are chasing Roy Krishna for next season

Are we just assuming nix are folding now? The Rudan to West Melb rumour and now we're chasing Krishna? I'd be happy to have him but he just got his NZ citizenship which is a big positive for the nix no longer taking a VIsa spot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred