• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Antlion

Is there more to Matt Simon than meets the eye?
Stuart Thomas
Neighbour Dave has featured in a few of my columns over the years. He is my sounding board for the daily issues that present themselves in both football and sport in general.

One of his long standing staples is a firm belief in opportunity. For Dave, the difference between an athletic career of fame and fortune or a life spent in the lower tiers occupying the pine, can sometimes be as simple as opportunity.

For every Pele, Messi or Ronaldo there are hundreds and thousands of footballers whose lives are far more mortgage and Mazdas than mansions and Mercedes. Players live in constant hope of being in that proverbial right place at precisely the right time.

Along the journey, there are windows of opportunity that present themselves. Identifying and grasping them is key and players’ careers are often decided on the whims of fate.

For some, injury, misfortune and flat out poor timing can destroy their dreams whilst others will grasp a moment with both hands and turn rocks to diamonds.

Matt Simon’s hat-trick against Central Coast United at Pluim Park last Wednesday was a perfect example of the role opportunity can play in football.

Matt-Simon.jpg

Matt Simon (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

Now 32, Simon has well over two hundred A-League appearances to his name and still stands as the Central Coast Mariners’ leading goal scorer with 41. The Sydney-born striker has undoubtedly lost a yard or two of pace over the years but after three seasons with Sydney FC, he has found his way back to where it all started in 2006.

The cameo roles he played in the Graham Arnold juggernaut at Sydney looked to have cemented the belief that the sun was well and truly setting on his sometimes controversial career.

Often criticised for his enthusiastic defensive work that has chopped down many an opponent over the years, Simon built a reputation as a hatchet man in sky blue.

Sadly, the tall blonde who led the Mariners in the formative seasons of the A-League had become known as ‘Matt the axe’ and was often lampooned for his approach.

There was some truth in the moniker but in reality, Arnold was using him brilliantly. Somewhere inside the final thirty minutes, Simon would replace a tiring forward and his rather chaotic and manic entry to the game would often produce the desired result.

It was simple, primal stuff really. Send on a firebrand late to shake things up; get under a few skins and distract the opposition from their defensive duties. Defenders hated it, as Simon still had enough speed to make them accountable for even the longest and most unlikely of balls.

His time in the harbour City produced only five A-League goals from 67 matches, such was his limited and clearly defined role. Yet somewhere near what was to become the end of his journey, Simon managed to find the net once more.

It was an Asian Champions League match against the Kashima Antlers in March 2018, where we saw a brief flash of the veteran’s past and he broke a two-year goal scoring drought.

It should never be forgotten that Simon represented his country at both Olyroo and senior level. Younger A-League fans might find that hard to comprehend considering his role with Sydney, yet a striker’s instinct doesn’t fade, it just requires a club to have belief in it.

Despite appearing destined for NPL play and a potentially valuable educative and leadership role, his old stamping ground took something of a leap of faith.

Whilst most in A-League circles felt assured he had been cashiered as a top flight domestic footballer, opportunity knocked in the shape of the Central Coast Mariners.

Having watched Matt Simon for years, there is no doubt that he would have trained the house down in the pre-season and brought a tangible energy to the Mariners’ training track. His passion and enthusiasm are infectious.

Adrian-Mierzejewski.jpg

Adrian Mierzejewski of Sydney trips over Matt Simon during the FFA Cup Final. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)

What role Mike Mulvey has him destined to play this season is unclear. Mirroring Graham Arnold’s tactics is an option, especially considering the recent signings of Tommy Oar and Ross McCormack that add to the Central Coast’s attacking stocks.

However, perhaps Mulvey has something else planned for the Wizard of Woy Woy and his recent hat-trick could be just the beginning of a resurgence in the twilight of his career?

The quality of the opposition and the goals themselves should moderate any over-excitement at the achievement, however, for a striker it doesn’t matter.

Goals are goals and form is form.

Right now Matt Simon is in form and neighbour Dave has been proven correct once again; when people receive opportunities, they can do some pretty cool things
https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/09/25/is-there-more-to-matt-simon-than-meets-the-eye/

Michael

Nice article, love Matty and he loves his coast home.

He’d probably be a little embarrassed every time a journo refers to him as the wizard of woy woy though.

Whatever role he plays for us this season, he’s going to contribute.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

A interesting article on why Pikey has opened the Purse Strings.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/c65cb22026b6974229f2f290e3a88135
FRESH from making his biggest ever investment in the Mariners’ playing squad, owner Mike Charlesworth has predicted the A-League will quickly move to a more secure financial footing.

After signing off on the acquisitions of Tommy Oar and Ross McCormack, Charlesworth said the prospect of an independently run league had transformed his belief in its future.

It’s believed the Mariners’ spend on players will take them close to filling the salary cap of $3 million this season, hundreds of thousands of dollars more than the club has ever spent in a season and culminating in the key signings of Oar and McCormack.

It’s a remarkable turnaround at a club that has spent only the 90 per cent minimum specified in the salary cap in recent seasons, and Charlesworth admitted that had produced “predictable results” – the club finishing no higher than eighth in the past four seasons.

The Mariners chairman has also committed to spending a seven-figure sum in the event Usain Bolt earns a professional contract, and though that seems some distance away, Charlesworth said the Mariners fan base had to respond to the extra spending.

“It’s an investment, spending more on the squad but in a calculated way,” Charlesworth said. “Six years ago the club was bust, successful but financially broken.

“There are no guarantees of course but we feel we have a competitive squad now.

“Spending significantly less than everyone else produced predictable results I guess.

“These are interesting times, quite apart from the Bolt experiment.

“We need to grow the membership, and the video was a call to arms for the fans to commit. There’s more excitement around the club than there has been for years.

“If we could get to 10,000 members, it would show that investing in the club brings rewards.”

For several years a trenchant critic of the way Football Federation Australia has run the A-League, Charlesworth said that development work undertaken on devolving it away from head office – part of the overhaul of the voting structure at the head of the game – had given him the confidence to invest.

“I don’t think we’d have been in a position to justify this investment if discussions around a new A-League structure had not gone the way they have,” Charlesworth said.

“We’re preparing the club for a league that’s bigger and more successful.

“It would have been difficult to justify this expenditure in the last couple of years but we’ve taken a new position in trying to grow our revenue, and try to be more successful in a bigger league.

“I think we’ll be in a better state this time next year.

Even the stalwarts at the FFA agree we need a new model for the A-League, and whether its fully independent – which most people agree we need – or some other system, things should look more promising.

“I’m more excited about the A-League than I have been for years, because we’ve all been working towards a better environment.”

Wombat

I just looked at epl, la liga, bundesliga and serie A. NO ONE is playing with a back 3 anymore apart from Sevilla and they are coming 7th.

Watford 10th play 541 which would suit us. Although when I saw them v Spurs they had twin strikers. Both, big black and aggressive.

The surprise is the return of 442 which is prominent in all the top leagues now.

Edit....latest update Watford are now listed as 442 and Lazio 5th are playing with a back 3.....maybe they have Chelseas old manager?

Last edited:

Insertnamehere

FRESH from making his biggest ever investment in the Mariners’ playing squad, owner Mike Charlesworth has predicted the A-League will quickly move to a more secure financial footing.

After signing off on the acquisitions of Tommy Oar and Ross McCormack, Charlesworth said the prospect of an independently run league had transformed his belief in its future.

It’s believed the Mariners’ spend on players will take them close to filling the salary cap of $3 million this season, hundreds of thousands of dollars more than the club has ever spent in a season and culminating in the key signings of Oar and McCormack.

It’s a remarkable turnaround at a club that has spent only the 90 per cent minimum specified in the salary cap in recent seasons, and Charlesworth admitted that had produced “predictable results” – the club finishing no higher than eighth in the past four seasons.

The Mariners chairman has also committed to spending a seven-figure sum in the event Usain Bolt earns a professional contract, and though that seems some distance away, Charlesworth said the Mariners fan base had to respond to the extra spending.

“It’s an investment, spending more on the squad but in a calculated way,” Charlesworth said. “Six years ago the club was bust, successful but financially broken.

“There are no guarantees of course but we feel we have a competitive squad now.

“Spending significantly less than everyone else produced predictable results I guess.

“These are interesting times, quite apart from the Bolt experiment.

“We need to grow the membership, and the video was a call to arms for the fans to commit. There’s more excitement around the club than there has been for years.

“If we could get to 10,000 members, it would show that investing in the club brings rewards.”

For several years a trenchant critic of the way Football Federation Australia has run the A-League, Charlesworth said that development work undertaken on devolving it away from head office – part of the overhaul of the voting structure at the head of the game – had given him the confidence to invest.

“I don’t think we’d have been in a position to justify this investment if discussions around a new A-League structure had not gone the way they have,” Charlesworth said.

“We’re preparing the club for a league that’s bigger and more successful.

“It would have been difficult to justify this expenditure in the last couple of years but we’ve taken a new position in trying to grow our revenue, and try to be more successful in a bigger league.

“I think we’ll be in a better state this time next year.

Even the stalwarts at the FFA agree we need a new model for the A-League, and whether its fully independent – which most people agree we need – or some other system, things should look more promising.

“I’m more excited about the A-League than I have been for years, because we’ve all been working towards a better environment.”
Blows me away we're nearly at the cap. How much coin over the cap do SFC and MVC burn?!

Michael

I just looked at epl, la liga, bundesliga and serie A. NO ONE is playing with a back 3 anymore apart from Sevilla and they are coming 7th.

Watford 10th play 541 which would suit us. Although when I saw them v Spurs they had twin strikers. Both, big black and aggressive.

The surprise is the return of 442 which is prominent in all the top leagues now.

Edit....latest update Watford are now listed as 442 and Lazio 5th are playing with a back 3.....maybe they have Chelseas old manager?

Most European teams have brilliant transitional play..
I love the way Watford are using their 442, big man small man upfront but it’s not always long ball. Both wide players are more wide play makers/inside wingers and defensively they press zones as a unit. And they’re held together in the middle by capoue and doucoure is a beast box to box.

Spurs (my team) transition very very well. They’ll go from back 4 to back 3 to back 5 with and without the ball at various stages of a match.

We could pull off the Watford style with the players we have.

Josho Howe

Yeah having a back 3 was the in thing for a period of time, the best team at it were Chelsea when they won the title in 16/17. The thing about a back 3 is you have to have 3 absolutely solid CB's and pacey, attacking wing backs which only the elite teams have. I agree that teams have now gone back to a classic 4-4-2 and l think that's what we should play, Simon will be the one in the air winning headers and then when it's on the floor McCormack can do his stuff.

Last edited:

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit

They can have my Man U’s current manager...PLEASE take the fkn sociopath...I’m sick of him

pjennings

Yeah having a back 3 was the in thing for a period of time, the best team at it were Chelsea when they won the title in 16/17. The thing about a back 3 is you have to have 3 absolutely solid CB's and pacey, attacking wing backs which only the elite teams have. I agree that teams have now gone back to a classic 4-4-2 and l think that's what we should play, Simon will be the one in the air winning headers and then when it's on the floor McCormack can do his stuff.

If we do sign Bolt I see his role similar to Simon. Get in the middle, cause havoc, win headers leaving it to Gamiero and Murray et al to clean up on the floor.

Insertnamehere

I've been crying ever since he was appointed... he wasn't MY choice :(
Pretty sure my sides Poch will be on the radar when he finally loses his biscuit and gets sacked.
Then I'll be crying, back to semi obscurity as we lose lloris, Kane, Eriksson and Alli
Waning arrogant club appoints waning arrogant manager.....should have been a perfect match.
Who? arsenal?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred