• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Just a quick creation I did on the iPad with some apps
t2Fog1.jpg

localpom

I don’t know about “should” make the 6 :naughty:............. but “maybe” is a good enough target for mine.............. rather than avoiding a threepeat spoon.
We are back to first game last season where it appeared anything was going to be possible before we imploded.
It looks like the demolition has been well fixed on the paddock .......... and the gem dutchman is surrounded by capable teammates .
It also looks like the owner has made adjustments to decision making that seems worthy of supporting.:wub:

Still leaves me with the outcome of + 21/2 goals per game ............ but probably lower odds as some of the goals are going to be ours and not all against:thumbup:.

Good business mc .......... :cheers:
If we can't aim to not be in the bottom 4 after assembling the best squad in years then i would expect everyone involved to be bitterly disappointed.
Previous seasons we have said it would be nice to make the 6 but i believe we really should this year. It's not really that high to aim for. :)

Reactions: adz

Josho Howe

Happy to see MC open up the purse strings and get in the best striker we've had in a long while. McCormack is quality and has said he is fitter now than he was before. Considering he scored 14 in 17 and is fitter now gives me the funny old feeling called hope. Oar is more of a mystery, if he can regain form which saw him play for the Socceroos, we've got a good one.

Just on Berry, l think he hasn't gotten enough chances, but now with this side we've got, the depth is really strong and l feel like he won't get any game time. It's a shame because l had a chat with him last week at the Grammar School fete and was hoping he got more minutes and said he will get more of a chance to impress and earn some game time under Mulvey than he ever did with Okon. I wish him well since l think any player who takes some time to talk to a fan and actually look interested and invested in the conversation with me is always a big tick in my book.

pjennings

Usain Bolt inspires Central Coast Mariners' offseason recruitment drive

He's still yet to sign a contract with the Central Coast Mariners but Usain Bolt is indirectly responsible for the A-League club's biggest on-field splash in years.

The signings of Ross McCormack and Tommy Oar have been described by owner Mike Charlesworth as a "defining moment" for the Gosford-based minnows.

According to CEO Shaun Mielekamp, it can all be traced back to eight-time Olympic champion Bolt -- in a roundabout way, at least.

The Jamaican sprint king's magnetic presence, the sponsorship dollars and publicity he has attracted -- plus the 10,000-strong crowd he pulled to a trial match last month -- have all dramatically accelerated a process of rejuvenation that was already under way at the club.

"It's a funny one," Mielekamp told AAP. "They're not directly connected but you know that if one didn't happen, the other wouldn't have happened either.

"It just gave us that confidence to have a go."

For the past four seasons, the Mariners have spent the bare minimum of the salary cap.

The frugal approach from Charlesworth yielded predictably miserable results: Two wooden spoons and two eighth-placed finishes.

"When we looked in the mirror, we knew we needed to change," Mielekamp said.

"So the mentality changed through the off-season and was about who we want to be as a club and where we want to get to."

i

McCormack's season-long loan deal and fringe Socceroo Oar's two-year contract are proof the purse strings have loosened and the mindset has shifted.

The Bolt experiment, while controversial among soccer purists, has played an undeniable role.

The same agent who facilitated Bolt's "indefinite training stint" at Central Coast, Tony Rallis, orchestrated McCormack's loan from Aston Villa -- where the Scottish striker was again frozen out of first-team action despite scoring 14 goals in 17 games last A-League season for Melbourne City.

"It's just been one little bit after another that all connected," Mielekamp said.

"The best way I can describe it is for the first time, I've had to go back and check we're under the cap.

"When any business starts showing indicators of growth, the more likely you are to invest.

"We have shifted from a cost recovery, fighting for survival-type business structure to a growth phase."

Coach Mike Mulvey now has a squad at his disposal with enough firepower to mount a legitimate finals bid.

"We're nowhere near the finished article," Mulvey told AAP. "We're just starting to grow, and these two players add to the culture and quality we've got in the squad."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/cent...al-coast-mariners-offseason-recruitment-drive

Offsider

If we can't aim to not be in the bottom 4 after assembling the best squad in years then i would expect everyone involved to be bitterly disappointed.
Previous seasons we have said it would be nice to make the 6 but i believe we really should this year. It's not really that high to aim for. :)

On paper ........ it might be the best squad in the past ten years ???........... and yes, it is still really high to aim for.:naughty:

If you remember the enthusiasm was the same this time last season ...............But after that step back it seems that this season a lot of lessons have been learned and catered for .............. words and promises have been made and honoured........... and we are all hoping to take at least two steps forward. To be honest, in hindsight, the okont implotion :doh:was not mc related other than the decision to hire him which was not unreasonable given his aust coaching etc. The season started playing well etc.

Realistically this season there are six teams that have loaded up even better than we have, some with marquees added to their visa quota. Some of those teams have coaches very highly regarded ........ more so than mm.

Mc has given mm enough weapons to be a banana skin to every team in the league ......... (which it didn’t look like till today) that is exciting, but , it has to happen on so many fronts it is going to be really difficult. Aiming to not be in the bottom four is glass half empty territory in some ways ............. whereas top six in this company may be glass too full, my unicorn thinks so :popcorn:

Mm is ex manu, so is phelan, and bolt :overheadl:and me as a lifetime fan ............. I wish I hadn’t spent so much at aldi, I may have been able to buy a m/ship. I wonder if I could swap my used unicorn ???.......... wish I hadn’t had him desexed now :-|

Mini In Bay 6

As stated before, a better than even win / loss for Christmas is a good start for me - this is almost a completely new side so gelling will take time and our defence will leak.

After that a strong finish to a finals spot would be a moderate success, and reaching the semis would be to me a great success.

Finishing with less than ten wins is a fail.

Big Al

Squad has a little Newcastle feel. We are now finally front 3rd heavy. Strong midfield one injury away from weak and a questionable back 3rd

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Basically we need to be aiming to win each of our first 4 games by a minimum of 2 goals.

Why?

Because traditionally, in each of our first 4-5 games, we get one blatantly obvious penalty inexplicably denied then draw or lose by 1. So we know what the referees are going to get wrong before the games even start - let's take that out of the equation.

localpom

Happy to see MC open up the purse strings and get in the best striker we've had in a long while. McCormack is quality and has said he is fitter now than he was before. Considering he scored 14 in 17 and is fitter now gives me the funny old feeling called hope. Oar is more of a mystery, if he can regain form which saw him play for the Socceroos, we've got a good one.

Just on Berry, l think he hasn't gotten enough chances, but now with this side we've got, the depth is really strong and l feel like he won't get any game time. It's a shame because l had a chat with him last week at the Grammar School fete and was hoping he got more minutes and said he will get more of a chance to impress and earn some game time under Mulvey than he ever did with Okon. I wish him well since l think any player who takes some time to talk to a fan and actually look interested and invested in the conversation with me is always a big tick in my book.
Hopefully he gets some time on the bench which will lead to minutes on the park. The big problem for Adam apart from questionable coaching has been that his position is maybe the only one in recent seasons where we have had decent quality and depth. I guess if he gets ahead of Melling on the pecking order he will get decent game time. Just hope he gets a fair go, i'm sure he will.

Offsider

Basically we need to be aiming to win each of our first 4 games by a minimum of 2 goals.

Why?

Because traditionally, in each of our first 4-5 games, we get one blatantly obvious penalty inexplicably denied then draw or lose by 1. So we know what the referees are going to get wrong before the games even start - let's take that out of the equation.

The video bunker might ruin your equation ............. ruin is not the right word but will have to do for now :(

Scotty

Usain Bolt inspires Central Coast Mariners' offseason recruitment drive

He's still yet to sign a contract with the Central Coast Mariners but Usain Bolt is indirectly responsible for the A-League club's biggest on-field splash in years.

The signings of Ross McCormack and Tommy Oar have been described by owner Mike Charlesworth as a "defining moment" for the Gosford-based minnows.

According to CEO Shaun Mielekamp, it can all be traced back to eight-time Olympic champion Bolt -- in a roundabout way, at least.

The Jamaican sprint king's magnetic presence, the sponsorship dollars and publicity he has attracted -- plus the 10,000-strong crowd he pulled to a trial match last month -- have all dramatically accelerated a process of rejuvenation that was already under way at the club.

"It's a funny one," Mielekamp told AAP. "They're not directly connected but you know that if one didn't happen, the other wouldn't have happened either.

"It just gave us that confidence to have a go."

For the past four seasons, the Mariners have spent the bare minimum of the salary cap.

The frugal approach from Charlesworth yielded predictably miserable results: Two wooden spoons and two eighth-placed finishes.

"When we looked in the mirror, we knew we needed to change," Mielekamp said.

"So the mentality changed through the off-season and was about who we want to be as a club and where we want to get to."

i

McCormack's season-long loan deal and fringe Socceroo Oar's two-year contract are proof the purse strings have loosened and the mindset has shifted.

The Bolt experiment, while controversial among soccer purists, has played an undeniable role.

The same agent who facilitated Bolt's "indefinite training stint" at Central Coast, Tony Rallis, orchestrated McCormack's loan from Aston Villa -- where the Scottish striker was again frozen out of first-team action despite scoring 14 goals in 17 games last A-League season for Melbourne City.

"It's just been one little bit after another that all connected," Mielekamp said.

"The best way I can describe it is for the first time, I've had to go back and check we're under the cap.

"When any business starts showing indicators of growth, the more likely you are to invest.

"We have shifted from a cost recovery, fighting for survival-type business structure to a growth phase."

Coach Mike Mulvey now has a squad at his disposal with enough firepower to mount a legitimate finals bid.

"We're nowhere near the finished article," Mulvey told AAP. "We're just starting to grow, and these two players add to the culture and quality we've got in the squad."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/cent...al-coast-mariners-offseason-recruitment-drive
I'm not sure whether Bolt had much to do with this. I think we've been a bit lucky in securing Oar and McCormack. We deserve this given the past f!@#$wittery of the past few years.

Offsider

I'm not sure whether Bolt had much to do with this. I think we've been a bit lucky in securing Oar and McCormack. We deserve this given the past f!@#$wittery of the past few years.

Maybe not the man himself ......... but I can now see the purpose of the whole picture ........... inspiring. Whereas I was most skeptical of the deal it now fits as useful and I have to admit .......... I am interested to see if he makes it and that in itself must be converting hundreds of skeptics like myself.

If your happy and you know it ......... clap your hands :shoutclap::shoutclap::shoutclap::shoutclap::shoutclap::shoutclap::shoutclap::shoutclap::shoutclap::shoutclap::shoutclap::shoutclap:

Michael

Absolutely chuffed Ross and Tommy are now official!
Gives us that X factor in the final third. Today I felt genuinely excited and couldn’t wait for our first home game. It reminded me of how I felt when we landed Aloisi in his prime and watching him score those goals for us.
I agree Tommy Oar is a little bit of mystery as to how he’ll fair for us, but I do believe he’ll take us to another level sooner than later.
This is definitely the best squad since the championship side albeit it a little top heavy but no fan ever complains of having too many options in attack.
It’s going to be very interesting to see how certain players react to the extreme competition for places, we have 25 players and can even sign one more if we want (hope not bolt)
But very happy and exciting times for our club!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred