• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Wombat

Golec was terrific last season, worried how he will recover after missing a chunk of pre-season though. If he performs at the same level he was at before his injury he will be our lock in LCB. If fit and performing to levels they have previously achieved my line up would be (assuming De Silva is gone)

Kennedy
McGing Cisse Golec Clisby
Hiariej Melling
McGlinchey
Hoole Pain
Gamerio/Simon (Depending on form)
Subs: Gauci, Rowles, Berry, Gamerio/Simon, Kekeris

That team is not good enough.

1. The Keeper possie will bite us unless Gauci turns out to be a Jordan Pickford.
2. McGing is not a starting 11 RB.
3. Melling is not starting 11 just yet.
4. Question mark over WeeMac......does he still have it.

Still some strenghtening needed.

marinermick

That team is not good enough.

1. The Keeper possie will bite us unless Gauci turns out to be a Jordan Pickford.
2. McGing is not a starting 11 RB.
3. Melling is not starting 11 just yet.
4. Question mark over WeeMac......does he still have it.

Still some strenghtening needed.

I would also say massive question marks in the front third as well. We need a player to be scoring ten goals plus for the season.

Rowdy

I dont see Golec or Tom as our Captain.

With Baro bailing, I would of expected Brama to fill the void, as I thought he might of initially been given the arm band over Baro when they both signed on.

I think Alan tipped Wout back then, with the club maybe giving considered weight to his previous experience knowing & having played in the HAL @ Melb.Victory.

Remembering, that despite both of them being 'new signings', with considerable overseas experience @ major clubs/leagues ...... it was the multi-year contract that lends to either of them being considered for Captain - stabillity.

Which leads me to rule out Cisse, despite his English Premier League background
- he's only been signed on a 12mnth contract (rightfully so imho).
- CCM, A-League, Australian culture in general ????
...... Cisse has no idea about any of the x3 & may well turn out to be our next Jaque Faty. (hopefully NOT)

Captains, more often than not, are chosen from the defensive line &/or midfield generally ....... not always - I know.

I remember Golec, when first signing with CCM, stating that despite his previous club movements across the HAL & briefly OS, that he felt he still had plenty of years left in him.

He then waxed lyrical about the chance now on offer to him to make the Central Coast a long-term home for himself and his Footballing future.

Subsequently, he really impressed the clubs management with both his 'buy-in' to rebuilding CCM's culture last season, as well as his work ethic and 'on-field performance'.

His major injury and subsequent anguish at the possibility of not being offered another contract, again the club was impressed.

He was re-signed ...... despite the injury concerns.
- Speaks volumes to me !!

.... which is why I predict Golec as the 'smokey' chance of getting the Capt.

Big Al

Well Bolt could play LB.

Tall for defence
Can do a couple of runs up the flank before being buggered and then leaves holes from not chasing back.
Pretty much a taller Storm Roux with a left foot

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I would also say massive question marks in the front third as well. We need a player to be scoring ten goals plus for the season.
This.
Dont forget we were 4th best on defence for a long time, p only a couple of goals away from 2nd.
Can't win without scoring.
We don't have a reliable striker yet

Rowdy

Well Bolt could play LB.

Tall for defence
Can do a couple of runs up the flank before being buggered and then leaves holes from not chasing back.
Pretty much a taller Storm Roux with a left foot

I think 'defence' may very will be Bolts 'Achilles' (sorry :cool:)

- no, seriously. We may just have to put up with this inabillity :oops: within his game.

We did with Mitch Austin
.... well Walmsley did :rolleyes:

scottmac

Suspended
So I wonder if the striker from the continent is still a goer?
I think straight back to my query of over paying for one and another couple of shit signings. Looks like it's pretty close to the mark

Woollybutt

On the captaincy question, I think the key criteria are that they need to be a first team player when fit, reasonably experienced, know the club, be able set standards and build the team culture, and be able to represent the club in the media and with fans. Of the current likely first team players, Kennedy, McGing, Clisby, Melling, Hoole, and Gameiro surely wouldn't be candidates. Cisse may or may not be a good leader, but it's too big a risk to give it to someone without any experience of the club or the league. Any new signing that comes in from here would probably be coming too late to be a viable option, unless we pull off the coup of the century and sign Mile back. That leaves Hiariej, McGlinchey, Simon, Golec, and Pain as possibilities. McGlinchey and Simon might be good candidates to lead the cultural renewal, but I'm not sure we can expect Simon to be a regular ninety minute player, especially if a new striker comes in. Hiariej is a seriously classy player, but I don't want him as captain. I don't think he's the man to build a strong culture. A star player can go snorkelling on the Barrier Reef while out injured, but a captain doesn't.

McGlinchey meets most of the criteria, but I think he's better suited to leading a well-drilled machine than building a new one, and the way he left last time left raises issues. Most of us wouldn't consider Pain, but he seems a smart, well-spoken, decent guy, and his attitude during those dire games at the end of last season was probably the best in the team (after Golec was injured). A winger who goes missing a lot isn't an ideal captain, but I think he's the right sort of character and would do a good job. With that said, I think Golec is the best option we have. He seems to thrive on trust and loyalty, so give him the armband and I reckon he'd run through brick walls for you. He's not the best player in the squad, but he'd lead by attitude and example.

So my controversial vote would be Golec captain, Pain vice-captain. It seemed safer to share this opinion now while everyone's over on the Bolt thread ;)

JoyfulPenguin

On the captaincy question, I think the key criteria are that they need to be a first team player when fit, reasonably experienced, know the club, be able set standards and build the team culture, and be able to represent the club in the media and with fans. Of the current likely first team players, Kennedy, McGing, Clisby, Melling, Hoole, and Gameiro surely wouldn't be candidates. Cisse may or may not be a good leader, but it's too big a risk to give it to someone without any experience of the club or the league. Any new signing that comes in from here would probably be coming too late to be a viable option, unless we pull off the coup of the century and sign Mile back. That leaves Hiariej, McGlinchey, Simon, Golec, and Pain as possibilities. McGlinchey and Simon might be good candidates to lead the cultural renewal, but I'm not sure we can expect Simon to be a regular ninety minute player, especially if a new striker comes in. Hiariej is a seriously classy player, but I don't want him as captain. I don't think he's the man to build a strong culture. A star player can go snorkelling on the Barrier Reef while out injured, but a captain doesn't.

McGlinchey meets most of the criteria, but I think he's better suited to leading a well-drilled machine than building a new one, and the way he left last time left raises issues. Most of us wouldn't consider Pain, but he seems a smart, well-spoken, decent guy, and his attitude during those dire games at the end of last season was probably the best in the team (after Golec was injured). A winger who goes missing a lot isn't an ideal captain, but I think he's the right sort of character and would do a good job. With that said, I think Golec is the best option we have. He seems to thrive on trust and loyalty, so give him the armband and I reckon he'd run through brick walls for you. He's not the best player in the squad, but he'd lead by attitude and example.

So my controversial vote would be Golec captain, Pain vice-captain. It seemed safer to share this opinion now while everyone's over on the Bolt thread ;)
I agree on Golec Woolly, though I am concerned if he will be a first team player coming off his injury and missing a chunk of pre-season. I share your sentiments on our lord and saviour Hiariej but as a leader I think he would be a good vice-captain. He is more than capable of speaking to the media and seems to be a well spoken and liked chap. While Hiariej lacks the normal grit of a captain I think he more than makes up for it with his on field leadership and inspirational qualities. He directed play for the majority of last season and was integral to our attacking forward thrusts. Pain covers the qualities of well spoken and seemingly, is well liked by the playing group. I don't think he is capable of being a proper on field leader, however. He is, even with all the game time we have given him, sadly an above average rotation player at best in the A-League. If Kekeris develops he will also quickly be out of the starting eleven.

Josho Howe

Tom or Golec for captain 100%. Your best player and leader should be captain and l would say Tom is obviously our best but l feel Golec has better leadership skills. Either one l am more than happy with wearing the armband.

Woollybutt

I agree on Golec Woolly, though I am concerned if he will be a first team player coming off his injury and missing a chunk of pre-season. I share your sentiments on our lord and saviour Hiariej but as a leader I think he would be a good vice-captain. He is more than capable of speaking to the media and seems to be a well spoken and liked chap. While Hiariej lacks the normal grit of a captain I think he more than makes up for it with his on field leadership and inspirational qualities. He directed play for the majority of last season and was integral to our attacking forward thrusts. Pain covers the qualities of well spoken and seemingly, is well liked by the playing group. I don't think he is capable of being a proper on field leader, however. He is, even with all the game time we have given him, sadly an above average rotation player at best in the A-League. If Kekeris develops he will also quickly be out of the starting eleven.
Good points. I think Golec is still the front-runner for a starting spot, but that is a legitimate concern. I could see Hiariej as a decent vice-captain, and wouldn't begrudge that. I would have agreed with you on Pain until the end of last season. He was the one who was lifting the team in attack when De Silva, Hoole, and Buhagiar went missing, Powell was plodding, Brama was kicking people, etc. Hopefully Kekeris does develop quickly and fight his way into the starting lineup, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'd take Pain's place. Hoole went backwards after a promising start, whereas Pain generally improved over the season, so I think Hoole's place is just as vulnerable, if not more so.

For what it's worth, I expect it to go to Hiariej, but Golec would be my pick.

Josho Howe

Hi everyone, l spent the majority of today writing this piece up to put on the YA Facebook. Thought l would do something different with the account and see if people wanted stuff written for the page regularly. If you want to give it a read, feel free and give me some feedback. Thanks.

Rowdy

Hi everyone, l spent the majority of today writing this piece up to put on the YA Facebook. Thought l would do something different with the account and see if people wanted stuff written for the page regularly. If you want to give it a read, feel free and give me some feedback. Thanks.

Pretty good effort Josho, for but one exception.

I think refering to Simo as an 'Albino' is uhmm .. errr ..
...... well a tad disrespectful to say the least.

Dickhead journo's & numpty SydFC fans stupidly call him the 'Wizard from Woy Woy' ....... which he dislikes as he's a proud Ram from East Gossie, which is easily researched about him as well.

Hate to imagine what he'd think of your moniker, maybe stay clear of him if he comes in the office
....... :popcorn: . :p

Wombat

Tom or Golec for captain 100%. Your best player and leader should be captain and l would say Tom is obviously our best but l feel Golec has better leadership skills. Either one l am more than happy with wearing the armband.

Nothing against Lord Anthony or Tom but neither are natural leaders. We still need to strengthen our squad a fair bit and i'm hoping the Captain is one of the new signings.
Matty "Groves" Simon is the natural capt for mine out of the existing squad.

pjennings

Nice write-up - but I think we are at 20 players - 19 without DDS. Gauci and Kekeris are scholarship signings so don't necessarily count to the 23 man squad size.

Wombat

"Done a UCL" is probably not very journalist sounding prose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred