• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 13 - 2017- 2018

Big Al

What. Got nothing to do with the coaches tactics?
I've also thought we needed another cb. But to come out in the press and write off the defence which you'll rely on for the foreseeable future............ It's not right. Especially when they'll be lacking a bit of confidence.
Then you bring in the new cb, him or Baro go down with injury and back comes the defence you've written off as not good enough.
How do You get them motivated. Reverse psychology? It's a rookie mistake.
Yes the tactics are questionable but watch all the long balls and chances against us. Their is a lot of ball watching. They don’t pay any attention to the attackers and their runs. Watch them peel off into the holes and no one goes with the runs or even talks to the other defender that they are on the move.

Ironically Storm actually tracked a run on the goal he got caught keeping them onside. He saw the run and followed it for 3 steps. Then went oh ok not going to my man. The striker then waltzed into the middle with Baro and Golec not paying attention to the run or that Storm covered his man.
It was a good attacking move as drew Storm back to keep the middle onside.

While the high line is bad the picking up of the runs is way worse.
Is Baro not that good (hence MV) got rid of him or he doesn’t trust the other defenders?

priorpeter

Yeah nah. Having read the article, the headline sensationalises it a bit. Paolo doesn't explicitly say "we're gonna sign a new defender because what we have is shit". He does say "There's still room for another visa spot and if there is something affordable and can obviously help the team... we know what sort of position it would be, where we're short....
Maybe another defender, but we have young Liam Rose and young Jake McGing and they're pretty flexible."

Nowt wrong with that.

Wombat

If you mention the word "Defender" and the word "McGing" in the same sentence..............................there is a lot wrong with that.

Who do u want in ya back 4?......Owt but McGing.

midfielder

Whats happened to Jacob Poscoliero did he not go to Perth ... and I never see his name on the team sheet .... he was decent CB well far better than some we have now..... comes from the Gong ... so we are close to home for him...

He could play both RB and CB positions ...

priorpeter

Whats happened to Jacob Poscoliero did he not go to Perth ... and I never see his name on the team sheet .... he was decent CB well far better than some we have now..... comes from the Gong ... so we are close to home for him...

I see his name on the team sheet regularly.

For Perth.

Insertnamehere

My concern is Paulo sticks fervently to this game plan and have no plan b, like his mentor Ange. It worked for roar but teams have surpassed that game plan.

scottmac

Suspended
I don't think its a freak out I just dont see the necessity for providing that info and think its pretty shit. We've got cover in that position even though they are shit. Ashcroft McGing Rowles junior. We also need another left sided midfielder but hey.

Ozhammer

I get why most of this debate is focused on our backline but it is too simplistic to say that is the only problem imo. Many teams play with a high defensive line and don't suffer the issues that we seem to have been in the first 3 rounds, so the key is to making the chosen system work as well as it can.

I have coached at amateur level for over 20 years and often your choice of formation or tactics is driven by the talent pool that you have available but if your team are getting caught out by long ball tactics, there are fixes to address that. I have had plenty of instances where my own players have pointed the finger at my tactics, when in truth the problem was their failure to execute their individual and collective duties within it and I believe that there is a similar situation going on with our boys at the moment.

In very simple terms, there are two things that seem to need to change: Firstly the strikers and midfielders need to work harder to shut down opposition players, thus eliminating (or at least reducing) the opportunities for opponents to launch the ball over the top. Secondly, the non-marking CB (Baro) needs to be watching for the long ball threat and be ready to drop off to deal with it. The issue with this second part is that Baro is still getting to know his defensive partners and the required level of intrinsic trust in them just isn't there yet. Only when he knows that they are each doing what they should be, can he truly focus on the higher technical functions of his own role.

I have no issue with PO setting out his tactical vision and sticking faithfully to it even when the results aren't coming, as a coach has to have the courage of his convictions but I do worry about his ability to have enough flexibility built into his tactics to turn games around when things aren't working. That said, the options that he has available beyond the starting eleven do mean that there will be limitations to what he can physically do regardless.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:

Gratis

Had an interesting conversation about this the other day with an involved party. He said it's often an issue at this level in Australian football at the moment that players are typically given strict game day instructions i.e. 'keep a high line'. The conflict comes when they need to adjust but aren't confident if they are allowed to do so and so make decisions a split second too late. Newer teams like ours suffer the most because it takes a while for their scope to adjust and is being learnt along with everything else, like team mates, style etc.
Sounds like they spent a bit of time going through this this week so hoping for a better defensive performance.

Gratis

He was on the bench for the game against us but didn't come on

Big Al

I get why most of this debate is focused on our backline but it is too simplistic to say that is the only problem imo. Many teams play with a high defensive line and don't suffer the issues that we seem to have been in the first 3 rounds, so the key is to making the chosen system work as well as it can.

I have coached at amateur level for over 20 years and often your choice of formation or tactics is driven by the talent pool that you have available but if your team are getting caught out by long ball tactics, there are fixes to address that. I have had plenty of instances where my own players have pointed the finger at my tactics, when in truth the problem was their failure to execute their individual and collective duties within it and I believe that there is a similar situation going on with our boys at the moment.

In very simple terms, there are two things that seem to need to change: Firstly the strikers and midfielders need to work harder to shut down opposition players, thus eliminating (or at least reducing) the opportunities for opponents to launch the ball over the top. Secondly, the non-marking CB (Baro) needs to be watching for the long ball threat and be ready to drop off to deal with it. The issue with this second part is that Baro is still getting to know his defensive partners and the required level of intrinsic trust in them just isn't there yet. Only when he knows that they are each doing what they should be, can he truly focus on the higher technical functions of his own role.

I have no issue with PO setting out his tactical vision and sticking faithfully to it even when the results aren't coming, as a coach has to have the courage of his convictions but I do worry about his ability to have enough flexibility built into his tactics to turn games around when things aren't working. That said, the options that he has available beyond the starting eleven do mean that there will be limitations to what he can physically do regardless.

Just my 2 cents worth.
While the mids and striker can help it’s way to simplistic to be blaming them which has been happening.
We are going to see relentless long ball for weeks to come as we haven’t been able to handle it. Kenny said yesterday they won’t be playing like they did against us when playing SFC last night.

Our back 4 are going to see long ball after long ball from anywhere and everywhere on the field until we show the back 4 can work as a team.

They are ball watching and positioning is also an issue as well as effort.

The opposition is drawing Rose up to cover the play then switching to Storms side in behind him.

Watch storm he is the person when you say run to the line he stops a metre before and turns around. He is so attack minded he is always stopping short of joining Baro’s line by 2-3metres. Not sure if this is design or laziness. On the 1st Perth goal he was 1 metre closer to half way than Baro. As the ball goes over the top Storm jogs while everyone else sprints. Storm attitude is it’s not my guy. The cross goes to where Storm may have been able to at least put pressure on if he reads the play and hustles back. Instead he is not even in the picture when Baro is in the 6yrd box. Not good off only a 1metre start. Then Baro doesn’t prepare for the cross or the run and gets caught in no mans land.

Lot of work needed to be done.

Wombat

I don't think its a freak out I just dont see the necessity for providing that info and think its pretty shit. We've got cover in that position even though they are shit. Ashcroft McGing Rowles junior. We also need another left sided midfielder but hey.

Rowles is not shit. He looks like a very good prospect. I expect him to be starting 11 by the 2nd half of the season.

pinklady

Kennedy, Ascroft, Rowles, Berry and Powell all had between 30 and 70 minutes (except Kennedy who had 90) in a NYL trial v Sydney FC yesterday. All played well and Powell and Kennedy in particular had strong games. All of the CCM NYL boys had between 20 and 90 minutes and looked a more skilful and cohesive unit than last year. CCM won 2-1 with goals to Powell and Kekeris, whilst Sydney's goal was a dubious penalty (of course!). Sydney gave plenty of game time to A League players Kalik, Paulo Retre, Calver, Ryall and Zuvelas. All of the Mariners first team players looked like they could step up to match day squad either immediately or within a week or two. Many of the NYL squad, particularly Lachie Wales and Peter Kekeris look not far off an A League contract should anyone leave in the January window.

JoyfulPenguin

Kennedy, Ascroft, Rowles, Berry and Powell all had between 30 and 70 minutes (except Kennedy who had 90) in a NYL trial v Sydney FC yesterday. All played well and Powell and Kennedy in particular had strong games. All of the CCM NYL boys had between 20 and 90 minutes and looked a more skilful and cohesive unit than last year. CCM won 2-1 with goals to Powell and Kekeris, whilst Sydney's goal was a dubious penalty (of course!). Sydney gave plenty of game time to A League players Kalik, Paulo Retre, Calver, Ryall and Zuvelas. All of the Mariners first team players looked like they could step up to match day squad either immediately or within a week or two. Many of the NYL squad, particularly Lachie Wales and Peter Kekeris look not far off an A League contract should anyone leave in the January window.
Thanks for the awesome report!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred