• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 13 - 2017- 2018

scottmac

Suspended
You don't drop someone after that. He didn't even make a mistake. He'll be starting this week.
Only changes will be Hoole and Roux.

I wonder if the early goal f**ked us? I mean, I saw that go in and I thought watch the f**k out here we go.

Big Al

I actually think Glover had a pretty decent game - there's just not a lot you can do when you sit behind what he sat behind... Apart from the multiple reaction save clip that they put up on the page, I think it was the fourth goal - went across the goal, I actually thought his positioning was excellent, he did well to get as close to a save as he did.

The upshot is that I fear that we'll be starting Kennedy in goals next weekend and I sort of understand why you don't want to be starting a keeper who has let in 5 in a game, but I also am not sure that it's the way to go.
The only question is should he have come out on the 2nd goal. Should have hugged the near post and been able to come cover if the ball was centered. However it was the defence that hun him out to dry on that goal and was trying to cover there ass but should have stayed home.

Otherwise didn't do anything wrong imo

localpom

You don't drop someone after that. He didn't even make a mistake. He'll be starting this week.
Only changes will be Hoole and Roux.

I wonder if the early goal f**ked us? I mean, I saw that go in and I thought watch the f**k out here we go.
Matty made plenty of mistakes early on. I'm sure Tom will come through and be a star for us this season.

Insertnamehere

Hardly Gloveman's fault. Pen was a dud. Goal 2 - 4 were poor defending. And in all honesty I turned off after 4 goals so still haven't seen the 5th.
What have I learnt? Gloveman not a sweeper. Mcging not an RB. Mobility in CB was poor, positioning was worse. Asdrubal is gonna score bags. Not sold on the game plan yet.
Roy got one over us, but one win does not a finals campaign make.

Tevor

Franjic would be a fantastic addition to the squad, cant see it happening though.
Given he seems to get home sick pretty quick Oz is probably his destination choice. Not sure many other teams would have the space, maybe the Nux. Most teams pretty full I would suspect.

Rowdy

Don't know how much of the Salary Cap Okon's spent + we know Charlesworth can be a liitle 'tight' with the pin number too at times, so ...

I'd rather save the $$$'s for a foreign visa spot come the January transfer window.

By then we will well-know that it's one or the other:
- goals needed
OR
- goals conceded.

If the latter/last week continue
- then a solid CB the likes of Melb.City's 'Bart Schenkeveld' would do me nicely.

scottmac

Suspended
The only way we'd sign a rb is if we released a player like ashcroft plus I dont think he's the type of player we wound sign. Having 2 starting rb in the squad doesn't really look like money well spent. You'd rather a fringe player as back up and use the coin elsewhere.

Coastalraider

The only way we'd sign a rb is if we released a player like ashcroft plus I dont think he's the type of player we wound sign. Having 2 starting rb in the squad doesn't really look like money well spent. You'd rather a fringe player as back up and use the coin elsewhere.
I hope I am proven wrong this year, but since Stormy's injury he has been performing at fringe level at best. I'm a bit worried that there is a sense of optimism that replacing McGing with Storm this week will fix our defensive woes when he was fairly poor at positioning last year. Signing a Franjic while unlikely would give us a total of X1 starting right back, that could fill that role in any squad in the league. Storm would likely be depth at a lot of clubs.

Big Al

I hope I am proven wrong this year, but since Stormy's injury he has been performing at fringe level at best. I'm a bit worried that there is a sense of optimism that replacing McGing with Storm this week will fix our defensive woes when he was fairly poor at positioning last year. Signing a Franjic while unlikely would give us a total of X1 starting right back, that could fill that role in any squad in the league. Storm would likely be depth at a lot of clubs.
Storm has been making those same out of position mistakes for years, he's just better offensively.

Being made captain last year I think says Paulo likes him and we won't be replacing him.

A second CB is more urgent IMO

scottmac

Suspended
Roux is a NZ international. He's not weak defensively. Yeah he gets caught out now and again everyone does. Id rather have Franjic but IMO its one or the other. You dont have both. Waste of money.

Coastalraider

Roux is a NZ international. He's not weak defensively. Yeah he gets caught out now and again everyone does. Id rather have Franjic but IMO its one or the other. You dont have both. Waste of money.
Agree you don't have both, it probably came across as a storm bash, but like you, if I had a choice it would be Franjic everyday.

While we have recruited exceptionally well this year compared to recent seasons, we still have a few positions where our starters would not get much game time in other teams - McGing, potentially Storm, Pain (fine when he is going well, but disappears when he isn't) and Appiah/buhagier being a few. They are all spots a better funded team would be looking to upgrade. But it is a massive improvement from last year, and if our starting side can click, we should be in for a much improved year.

Big Al

Last week I would have used our last spot on a CB or RB

This week it's got to be a LW, watching Leroy George(Victory) man we'd be amazing with him. Pain couldn't even clean his boots

scottmac

Suspended
100%. We don't have anyone to make Pain push for his spot. That in itself will not be the best atmosphere for him to produce his best

I still think Pain is a great player and capable of a lot more than he is delivering right now. He jyst doesnt have anyone pushing him for that spot.

Last edited:

Big Al

100%. We don't have anyone to make Pain push for his spot. That in itself will not be the best atmosphere for him to produce his best
Archie had a little dig pregame as well basically saying i know what he can do but he doesn't produce.

Hence Victory saying goodbye

He can't keep missing those chances or not creating them at all. Paulo will grow tired of it

Tevor

Wasn't Fab at training the other day? He knows how to finish and could add a lot to this team and keep Pain under pressure. Maybe time for Trent to get a start as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred